Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2004 3:02:04 PM EDT

My very own South Bend 9" lathe.  Long enough to do any barrel work on a 20" barrel or smaller and maybe even 24" barrels, but they would be pretty tight.  It'll take a little while to get it up and running, though.  

The f#@k'tards that shipped it dumped it on the front and busted up alot of the control knobs.  I'll have to silver solder whatever I can and make new ones of the parts that can't be repaired.  MFing idiots!!

It was supposed to come with two (2) chucks, a three jaw and four jaw............................none came with it.

Need to swap the motor on it also, it is a 220V motor, and I'll swap it to a 110V.

I'll also be getting a quick change box for easier threading.  For right now, I can thread with a die and die holder in the tailstock, after the barrel is turned down to the proper size.

More evil projects will be coming out of my "shop" very soon.  BOOOWAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAAA
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
A new part is cool for a while.

A new tool to MAKE cool parts is cool forever.

Congrats!

Larry
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I envy you, mongo.  I don't have the mechanical aptitude to run one of those.  (Hell, I can barely spell lathe.)

Congratulations.  I hope someday I can hold a part and say "mongo like metal!"
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
We have one of those southbends in the back of the machining lab but no one really ever uses it (plenty of othe lathes around so no real need too). I think the belts for those damn things are getting pretty hard to find (so I've been told). A decent 4 jaw and maybe a collet setup should be all you would ever need. Keep us posted on any "evil" projects that thing creates
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got about a dozen postban barrels that need threading.  Some more of these are tops on my list of things to do, also.  I have some builds that would look really nice with these on them.

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:27:07 PM EDT
[#5]
That it way sweet!!!! Milling machine next?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#6]
hey if by any chance you make one too many of those collars and fh shoot me an email or something i will definately buy one from you.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahhh, the possibilities!
DIY just got a kick in the ass, enjoy your new toy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That it way sweet!!!! Milling machine next?

Yes.  Mini mill actually, I don't have the space for a full sized mill.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top