Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 4:18:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/3/2004 6:46:50 PM EST by CajunMojo]
I'm about to buy/build (undecided) my first AR and i've been doind searces and researches on here for a week because i'm stuck offshore. First I want to say thanks to everyone who have asked questions i've had long before i got here, and thanks to all of you who have taken time to answer them. I understand that the el-cheapo chrome moly bbl doesn't last as long as chrome plated, but that a relative term. Does anyone out there have general comparison as to how many more rounds you can get out of chrome lined barrels? I suppose it has a lot to do with how clean you keep your rifle also. Just wondering if I get a non-chrome plated.. will i be buying a new barrel in a year??

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:28:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 4:29:01 PM EST by bigbore]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:39:10 PM EST
Heat is the main issue when discussing barrel life. If it were only bullets going down the bore, a barrel would last a very long time. A barrel only lasts a few seconds on "full burn". A chrome bore will probably take more abuse at higher temps than a CM or SS barel. On the other hand, CM or SS tends to be a little more accurate or so they say. I don't have personal experience on that. I suspect it might be because CM is easier to cut or takes a smoother finish inside the bore. I don't really know though.

I read somewhere that 800 degrees F is where barrel life really starts to go in the shitter.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:55:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By 123whisper:
A barrel only lasts a few seconds on "full burn".

So... If I "accidentally" bump a 30 round clip through a Chrome Moly bbl, ya think it'd screw it up?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:02:35 PM EST
thanks for the advice, doubt i'll be doing any 600 yd shooting. probably not gonna put optics on my first rifle. maybe later on if i get another. i have a custom 7mm mauser job for long range shooting. so i guess pop cans at 50 yards may be an accurate desciption of what i'll do with it to start. i think i'm sold on the chrome plated bbl anyway, thx again.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:37:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By CajunMojo:

Originally Posted By 123whisper:
A barrel only lasts a few seconds on "full burn".

So... If I "accidentally" bump a 30 round clip through a Chrome Moly bbl, ya think it'd screw it up?

No, what I meant by that is that if you add up all the time that the powder is burning at high pressure over the life of the barrel, it is just 5 or 10 to 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:55:55 PM EST
interesting take on the whole thing, 15 seconds. If a local gun dealer told me my gun barrel would only last 15 seconds, i don't think i'd buy it. hinking.gifbut yeah, i see your point.

One more Question: if a chrome moly bbl lasts 15-20k rounds for plinking etc.. how long would a chrome plated last?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:25:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2004 11:25:42 PM EST by tactical45]
My first AR15, an Eagle Arms 20" heavy barrel purchased in either 1988 or 1989 had a CM barrel. It would consistently shoot 1 MOA until I had shot somewhere between 3K to 4K rounds. Groups gradually started to open up to about 3 MOA. I have since replaced the original barrel with a Colt Gov't profile 1/7 chrome lined barrel.

Gary
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:42:58 AM EST
If you are going to spend $700 + on a rifle, spend the extra $30 and get a chrome lined barrel. Its easier to clean and will last longer. By the way www.adcofirearms.com is where I buy all my AR gear. Highly recommended.
Top Top