Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2013 4:35:40 PM EDT
I'm in the process of putting what I call a Jungle Carbine together. I am trying to get the shortest legal length barrel and lightweight. So I am asking what is the longest flash hider made that's effective and what size can I have the barrel cut down to so that it comes in at slightly over 16". So far I have ordered the NEA short stock which is similar to the H&K 416 short stock I have seen. Next will be a camo matching receiver set and handguard. Since the minimum overall legal length is 26" I am fine with the 16.1" barrel. But I want a good flash hider and to cut the barrel down as far as I can to get to the legal limit. In essence I am not just looking for a long flash hider so I can cut the barrel, I am looking for the longest most effective one so I can cut the barrel down and not exceed 16.1". For instance if the flash hider is over 2 inches long but from the end of the muzzle it's only 1.5 inches I have to look at a 14.7" barrel. I want something better than an A2, yes not many are. The Smith Vortex looks good and is 2.31" long, but how long is it past the muzzle? If it is over 2" then I can cut the barrel down to 14". I can't seem to find the specs other than the OAL. I need the length from the muzzle to find out how much I need to cut the barrel. Some people might ask why, I will say why not. It's just an artistic exercise this is not a weapon for anything other then personal preference. Please don't mention anything not in stock for a few years or that hideous extension to make it look like a XM177. TIA.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
14.5 is a popular barrel length...lets think about this logically.  MOST flash hiders are 2.25 inches in length, which brings a 14.5 inch barrel up to 16.1 inches.  vortex, yhm, aac, etc... are all 2.25.  14.7 inch barrels exist to pin an a2 on (which is cheap and effective).  so to answer your question, the vortex, like most, was built to bring a 14.5" barrel up to 16 inches.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
For effective, 13.7" barrel with a BE Meyers flash hider.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#3]
14.5 + 2.25= 16.75 I think they may be 2.25" but not from the muzzle. I'll check on the Meyers, I forgot about that one. A little expensive but so is everything else, if I remember correctly they are longer. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
14.5 + 2.25= 16.75 I think they may be 2.25" but not from the muzzle. I'll check on the Meyers, I forgot about that one. A little expensive but so is everything else, if I remember correctly they are longer. Thanks.
View Quote

You're forgetting thread overlap.  A 14.5" barrel with 2.25" flash hider will be right around 16.1".
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
No I am saying with thread overlap it is 16.1". My point was that a Vortex sits on a 14.5 correctly to make it 16.1". But how long exactly is it from the muzzle? The Meyers is 2.75", how long is that from the muzzle? Whatever it is from the muzzle you can remove from a 16"+ barrel to bring the length back to 16+. I need the length after the muzzle NOT OAL(overall length).
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

your numbers only work if you weld the flash hider directly to the muzzle.  you lose approximately .65 inches due to thread overlap...give or take a few hundredths of an inch.

unfamiliar with the BE Meyers, however they say it's only 2.75 inches long.  following the same logic of every other flash hider losing approximately .65 inches of length due to threading, a 13.7" barrel would be too short (15.8 inches OAL).  they say they have other models but they don't say what their lengths are?  unless they make one that will work with a 13.7" barrel IMO it wouldn't be worth it to do this.  you realistically gain nothing but add about 65$ to your cost because you will have to have a 16" barrel cut down to 14.  no one makes a 14 inch barrel as is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#7]
That's why I asked, I know the traditional ways to get to 16.1". I figured maybe someone had taken a different rout to get to the same place. It seems the best thing to do is go with a 14.5" barrel and pin on the Smith Vortex. Or get the stamp and go SBR which is something I really do not want to do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#8]
there are actually TWO other options, but both of them are pointless which is why I didn't mention them erlier.  the noveske kx3 (which is expensive and heavy) can be pinned to a 13.7" barrel (that's why noveske makes the 13.7 barrel).  this setup is heavier than a pinned 14.5 barrel though.  only reason to do it is to have a flame thrower.  the other option is an 11.5" barrel with a 5.5" car-15/xm177 style flash hider.  I've actually done the math on that, and by my rough estimates that setup is no lighter than a 14.5" barrel.  you remove 3 inches of muzzle velocity and lose dwell time (reliability) on your gas system for no decrease in weight.  if you want an xm177 style clone that's the only reason to go that route.  pinned 14.5 is the "norm" because it's what works better than any option for keeping an OAL of 16"
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]

But I see no point unless you plan on grinding the pin out later after waiting on an SBR stamp, in which case it would be easier just to build it as a pistol in the meantime.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.del-ton.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BP1017-2.gif

But I see no point unless you plan on grinding the pin out later after waiting on an SBR stamp, in which case it would be easier just to build it as a pistol in the meantime.
View Quote

Hey is that rifle your dog is hugging an AR with the NEA stock? I just ordered one for this build.

Yes I know the other options and why. I thought about the 13.7 and the PIG and it defeats the purpose. I don't want anything too heavy at the end of the barrel. Plus all the KX3s are going for ridiculous prices now. The whole fake XM177 is not what I am looking for. Form follows function.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hey is that rifle your dog is hugging an AR with the NEA stock? I just ordered one for this build.

Yes I know the other options and why. I thought about the 13.7 and the PIG and it defeats the purpose. I don't want anything too heavy at the end of the barrel. Plus all the KX3s are going for ridiculous prices now. The whole fake XM177 is not what I am looking for. Form follows function.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.del-ton.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BP1017-2.gif

Nordic Components (discontinued) and my bufferless upper.

I agree with you on the KX3, I have one on my 7.5" upper, and it does exactly what it's designed to, direct the blast away from the shooter.
With good ammo, it's not too bad on the flash, and it feels like shooting a 20" rifle when it comes to blast.  I use mine for 2-3 gun matches with good results.
I wouldn't put one on a longer barrel, the further out there it's hanging, the heavier it's going to feel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Fulcrum, basic math or physics, whatever. The longer out it is the more pull, like a see-saw. On a really short barrel it doesn't have much if any effect, on a long barrel the affect gets more pronounced with the length of the barrel. If you free float the barrel my guess is that it's better if you have a thin barrel or a very rigid one without a lot of weight. I can see why rifle builders are going to shorter barrels. Less distance but more accuracy though. You have to find a compromise. With the AR it might be a matter of bullet weight and twist rate with that equation.

Nice rifle, I'm basically doing something similar. I want a short lightweight rifle, a Jungle Carbine so to speak. Just something I thought about when I was in the Army. It was after Nam but I grew up with NAM, ya know. The thing I noticed was the M16A1 was too long for mech troops. I liked my M3 Grease gun much better, if I had to I think I could shoot it from the drivers hatch of the M113, I could not with the M16.

I'm going to add a camo or multicam upper/lower set and matching handguard with a 14.5" barrel and Smith Vortex at the muzzle, plus the short stock.

http://www.theammosource.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2177

This should be a really awesome build. First I have to get to Texas, exactly one month away. I plan on getting a DDM4V5 first and build the Jungle Carbine and a 9mm AR with the Double Diamond lower. Form follows function but it's nice to look good too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can anyone confirm this results in 16.0" or greater?
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weapon Outfitters did, I think the thread is in their industry forum.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#15]

13.7" Rainier barrel, with the Noveske KX3 on it.  Was a bit of an adventure getting it pinned and welded, but it is the most fun upper I have.  Great at night with the fireball awesomeness.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I've seen one person claim a 13.7" with the YHM 308 Phantom can adapter will hit 16". If it works, that would look wicked with a 13" Geissle Mk4.

There's also the G36 flash hiders from HK Parts.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
13.7" Rainier barrel, with the Noveske KX3 on it.  Was a bit of an adventure getting it pinned and welded, but it is the most fun upper I have.  Great at night with the fireball awesomeness.

View Quote

That's a lot of weight hung way out there

I love my 7.5" with KX3, that's what it was designed for, but anything much longer than that and I might as well hang a stainless suppressor on it
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I love my 7.5" with KX3, that's what it was designed for, but anything much longer than that and I might as well hang a stainless suppressor on it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, completely cosmetic.  It matches my shoes great.  But, for bringing the 13.7" to 16" and throwing flame, it's the best.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:02:57 AM EDT
[#19]
lothar walther 13.7 barrel 223 wylde
Hera arms linear compensator

This is what im doing for my next build.  Comp is over 3 inches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 1:16:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must not shoot with suppressors much, a 4 oz muzzle device is not heavy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I have, but for a muzzle device alone, 4oz is a good bit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:45:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've come to the realization that less weight > less noise.  If I'm in a stack covering a corner or entry point for 4 hours waiting for a word Id much rather have a Pig hanging off the end of my rifle instead of my NT4.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#23]
This is my multi-gun rifle, btw.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s241.photobucket.com/user/devtucker/media/IMG_20130421_202559_725.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20130421_202559_725.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is awesome.  

Out of  curiosity, why the light at the end and not the side?
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is awesome.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s241.photobucket.com/user/devtucker/media/IMG_20130421_202559_725.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20130421_202559_725.jpg</a>

That is awesome.  

Heck of a lot less awkward to activate the lever with your thumb with the AFG.

Push down for momentary and up for constant.  It doesn't interfere much at all with sighting.

It might look like a bit of a stretch, until you realize just how tiny the whole thing is.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I knew there had to be a reason.  That really looks like a ton of fun.  I have to suck it up and get the stamp.

sam
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Push down for momentary and up for constant.  It doesn't interfere much at all with sighting.

It might look like a bit of a stretch, until you realize just how tiny the whole thing is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome.  

Keeps the shadow below line of sight as well, when I had my 13.7" w/kx3 I ran a x300 in the same position in front of a fixed DD front sight.  Those to pieces went together like they were made for each other.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Okay, let's see if I can provide some clarity to the issue(s).  I just recently completed a NOVESKE build during the last few months and am very happy with the way it turned out.  I am running a 13.7" NOVESKE INFIDEL barrel with a B.E. MEYERS 249 series flash hider. I had TRAVIS at Riflegear in Orange County pin/weld this to the barrel for obvious legality reasons.  Overall length is 16" on the dot.  Of course, it all fits very nicely under the NOVESKE 13.5" NSR !! When the rifle was returned, I measured the way the ATF would with a stick, plug or guide rod down the barrel with the bolt closed.  The pin/weld job was a thing of beauty and definitely first class job of worksmanship. Attached are the pictures for verification......Overall really happy with this combination in terms of fit, feel and balance.  

[ img][ /img]

[ img][ /img]

[ img][ /img]

[ img][ /img]

[ img][ /img]

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I love the look of  the 13.5" NSR with a 13.7" barrel.   might do another with a comp, just have to find one that is long enough that I like.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Okay, let's see if I can provide some clarity to the issue(s).  I just recently completed a NOVESKE build during the last few months and am very happy with the way it turned out.  I am running a 13.7" NOVESKE INFIDEL barrel with a B.E. MEYERS 249 series flash hider. I had TRAVIS at Riflegear in Orange County pin/weld this to the barrel for obvious legality reasons.  Overall length is 16" on the dot.  Of course, it all fits very nicely under the NOVESKE 13.5" NSR !! When the rifle was returned, I measured the way the ATF would with a stick, plug or guide rod down the barrel with the bolt closed.  The pin/weld job was a thing of beauty and definitely first class job of worksmanship. Attached are the pictures for verification......Overall really happy with this combination in terms of fit, feel and balance.  

[ img]<a href="http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/Ch20brain/media/Mega%20Build/IMG_6907_zpsd6a1fbc9.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o740/Ch20brain/Mega%20Build/IMG_6907_zpsd6a1fbc9.jpg</a>[ /img]

[ img]<a href="http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/Ch20brain/media/Mega%20Build/IMG_6909_zps93df68fd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o740/Ch20brain/Mega%20Build/IMG_6909_zps93df68fd.jpg</a>[ /img]

[ img]<a href="http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/Ch20brain/media/Mega%20Build/IMG_6910_zpse69d145d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o740/Ch20brain/Mega%20Build/IMG_6910_zpse69d145d.jpg</a>[ /img]

[ img]<a href="http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/Ch20brain/media/Mega%20Build/IMG_6911_zps43d0ad85.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o740/Ch20brain/Mega%20Build/IMG_6911_zps43d0ad85.jpg</a>[ /img]

[ img]<a href="http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/Ch20brain/media/Mega%20Build/IMG_6912_zps73288838.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o740/Ch20brain/Mega%20Build/IMG_6912_zps73288838.jpg</a>[ /img]

View Quote

So a 13.7" barrel and the B.E. Meyers M249 flash hider will do the job and make it 16", thank you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#31]
They make a 5.5in flash hider that was more popular a couple of years ago.
You can pin it to a 10.5in barrel and make it 16in total length.
If you check out the retro forums you will see it, it is an XM177 style flash hider.

Found one online, I have never bought or heard of this site though, just a google search:
http://vtsupply.com/guntec-usa-5-5-flash-hider-for-10-5-uppers-us-made-steel.html

Looks like this:

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you check out the retro forums you will see it, it is an XM177 style flash hider.

Found one online, I have never bought or heard of this site though, just a google search:
http://vtsupply.com/guntec-usa-5-5-flash-hider-for-10-5-uppers-us-made-steel.html

Looks like this:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2010/06/13/38009_01_wilson_combat_10_5in_ar15a2_up_640.jpg
View Quote

In the OP he said he didn't want that.

Ever think of having one of those fake cans pinned?
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 2:15:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't like anything fake including boobs and especially things on guns. I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting a stamp. You need the local law enforcement to sign it, I'm moving to a new place (New York to Texas)and I doubt he will do anything other than give me a dirty look.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Ch20brain,

I'm lovin' the look of your 13.7" Infidel/B.E. Myers set-up with the 13.5" NSR.

If I recall correctly, the Infidel has a mid-length gas system. How does that run for you?  Are you satisfied or do you feel a carbine gas system would be more reliable?

What kind of buffer and spring are you running with it?

What about the weight/balance?

Many thanks and congrats on a great build.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey Shoot1k !

Appreciate the kind words.....you are correct in that the INFIDEL is a mid length DI gas system. I am running a SPIKES TACTICAL T-2 buffer and WOLF XP carbine spring.  Bolt carrier is a YOUNGS NATIONAL MATCH CHROME CARRIER.  I feel it runs very well and cycles and ejects perfectly ! The recoil is mild but very controllable ! The accuracy of the NOVESKE barrel will far exceed my capabilities.  I have been impressed with the nice groupings I can obtain with this combination of parts ! Don't notice a measurable difference to me versus the carbine gas system AR I also have.

No reliability issues noted after approximately 500 rounds.....but I am shooting some decent Federal M855 ammo ! Haven't tried anything else yet.  No PMC, Wolf! Tula or PRVi.......

The weight and balance feel great....I really like the handling of this particular weapon and it def has become one of my favorites !
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Looks like this:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2010/06/13/38009_01_wilson_combat_10_5in_ar15a2_up_640.jpg
View Quote

My brother went with a reverse flash hider" to achieve the shorter barrel look with a 16" barrel.  It looks like an 5.5" FH, but covers the barrel instead of extending it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Looks like this:

View Quote

wrong.  10.5 + 5.5 - thread overlap = less than 16 inches.

you need about an 11.25" barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top