Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2011 9:54:20 AM EDT
I know this optic has been discussed plenty on here but I thought I would post my long term review of it.

I bought the optic when they were first released. I called Sam at Vortex and discussed the optic at length with him before deciding to give it a shot.

I got the optic and mounted it up with the provided mount (absolute co-witnessed). The mount provided seemed adequate for most purposes but not exceptional. The opric was left in the factory mount for about a year. During that time it was used as a range toy and deer rifle. I live in northern WI and the optic performed perfectly in the WI winter. I never had any issues with fogging or the cold killing the battery.

When mounted the optic was quick to zero and has held zero since with no shift. I did have doubts about the mount returning to zero if it was removed so it was replaced with an Aimpoint QRP mount. Works perfectly and returns to zero.

I then took the rifle to  our departments carbine/rifle course. The optic again worked flawlessly. Mine is the red/green model. The red dot did get a little faint when used in the bright sunlight on a white target. Not faint enough to cause misses or slow hits however. That said if I was to reorder I would get the brighter red only model.

At the end of the class I did notice the rubber cover for the switch body was beginning to separate from the optic. A quick call to Vortex and they said to simply send it out and they would repair/replace it ASAP (no surprise however, they are known for their customer service).

I think the separation was caused by the rifle hanging from a single point sling and swinging back and forth across my chest rig.

I was able to super glue the cover back in place just to get me through the work week until I can get it mailed in.

I also think it is worth noting I am on my second battery. I do make sure to turn the optic off when I am not on line rather then just leaving it on all day. i am sure that has helped with the battery life.

I will admit I had doubts regarding the optic before the class and was thinking "I will just get through with it and then replace it". Those doubts were dispelled however. At this time I really see no need to replace the optic. While the battery life is nowhere near that of an Aimpoint the batteries are cheap enough I will just toss a new one in once a month and not worry about it.

If I had it to do all over again I would buy the red only.

Hope that helps people who are on the fence. For the money I am more then happy with how it has performed and it will stay on my rifle while on patrol as well.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I missed anything.

Rhoades
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks. I am planning on ordering one next week!
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I also got the StrikeFire shortly after they were released. It is a fine optic for the price. About 6 months ago I had a problem with the sight not shutting off, when I contacted Vortex they emailed me a shipping label to return the optic to them. When I asked about getting a red only version the customer service person said that it would be no problem to ship me the red only in lieu of the red/green. Now that is customer service. The red only is very bright and I love the site.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one when right about they first came out as well... put it on a MAX-11 9mm SMG.
Been holding zero ever since.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top