Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2003 3:56:10 PM EDT
My dealer just got in the Armalite AR180B's enmasse. They are asking $700. I know it is a neat firearm, but there is something in the realm of AR-15's about that price. I am not complaining about the price as it applies to the AR180B. I know how the free maket works; supply and demand, and all that jazz. My concern is that for not much more, in the same store, an AR15 can be had. I already own several AR's, so no big deal. The AR180B is different and historically unique.
 Now, I have never really been all that attuned to the AR180 design of the past, and to me it is just plunking more money down on another gadget. Soooooooo, if you were going to get another gun of these types, would you spend the higher than average market price on the AR180B or just move into another AR15 at this time and just wait for the AR180's to come down a bit?
Thanks for your input.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
No way.   Get an Ar-15.  For around $500 I think it is a great rifle and an excellent SAR 1 beater.

Is $700 the MSRP?  If so, I bet dealer cost is in the $500 range.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My dealer just got in the Armalite AR180B's enmasse. They are asking $700. I know it is a neat firearm, but there is something in the realm of AR-15's about that price. I am not complaining about the price as it applies to the AR180B. I know how the free maket works; supply and demand, and all that jazz. My concern is that for not much more, in the same store, an AR15 can be had. I already own several AR's, so no big deal. The AR180B is different and historically unique.
 Now, I have never really been all that attuned to the AR180 design of the past, and to me it is just plunking more money down on another gadget. Soooooooo, if you were going to get another gun of these types, would you spend the higher than average market price on the AR180B or just move into another AR15 at this time and just wait for the AR180's to come down a bit?
Thanks for your input.
View Quote

$700 is to steep for a $695 dollar gun. For real, It is a gadget. I like that term. You sounds like you have a job. Think of it as stereo equipment. Yeah I have a DAT and never use it except once a year, but I have one. The gun will never be a AR but an AR will always be an AR. I have a M96 that gets shot once every 2 years.
GG
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if I'd fork out that much for one...would rather buy a few lowers instead.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You do realize the prices only go in 1 direction don't you...?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
hey guy,

I just picked up my AR-180B myself, it is the most fun I have had with a .223 in a long time.  I have mounted a Bushnell Banner 1.5 X 4.5 scope on it and am in the process of getting it painted, it is a real fun gun.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
kingc,

I believe MSRP is $650.

[b]Pay no attention to 'floundering herd' that will advise against this purchase.[/b]  The AR-180B is one fine weapon and well worth the $650.

Virtually all the nay sayers will not be owners of the AR-180B and most likely will have never even seen one.  (You might check with members like FrankSquid, spade, LarryG etc., who actually own and have experience with this rifle for an informed opinion.  Pay no attention to the ignorant.)
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The original AR-180 was fine weapon but they didn't use a regular AR mag.

However.....

I was interested in the new ones, so I did some reading here here on the AR10 & AR180 forum and there seems to be a bit of a problem with some of the new polymer lowers breaking at the forward pivot pin holes - sometimes after just a few shots from a new rifle.

Armalite says they did a recall on 90 guns.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=160408

I'd stick with a quality AR myself, especially for $700. If the AWB sunsets, at least with an AR you can quickly change to a folding stock. The AR is also a lot more modular.

What someone needs to do is make an AR-180 upper that will fit on a milspec AR lower.

--------------------
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
5subslr5 is right for all who are wondering, the MSRP on the AR180B is $650 or $750 with stage 2 trigger.  BTW, I don't own one but I've shot one and I really like the way it shoots.  It's a good buy for $650.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:31:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The original AR-180 was fine weapon but they didn't use a regular AR mag.

However.....

I was interested in the new ones, so I did some reading here here on the AR10 & AR180 forum and there seems to be a bit of a problem with the new polymer lowers breaking at the forward pivot pin holes - sometimes after just a few shots from a new rifle. Not good.

View Quote

To the best of my knowledge there have been exactly two (2) AR-180B's that had problems with their lower receivers failing.  ArmaLite has replaced those two rifles and understands the issues that caused the failure.

[b]mrostov, do you have any information that indicates more than two ??  After all your 'reading' there must be some source you can guide is to.......................??

I'm the AR-10 & AR-180 Forum mod and I try and read most posts but I just can't think of anything that would lead you to your conclusions.  Maybe you read about all those failures here on the AR Discussions Forum ??

[b]Since you designate AR15.com as your source of information perhaps you can guide us with a link ??[/b]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The post by Armalite indicated that they recalled 90 guns.

Hey, if they work good for you, fine. But personally I don't trust polymer rifle receivers anyway.

If they had 2 failures and recalled 90 guns, all from the one and only maker of a relatively new weapon, odds are good that your problems are not over yet.

They may be a great plinker, but I wouldn't trust my life to one, and for $700 you can build a decent post-ban AR-15 that's all in all a better gun, more versitile, and a lot more de-bugged.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The post by Armalite indicated that they recalled 90 guns.

Hey, if they work good for you, fine. But personally I don't trust polymer rifle receivers anyway.

If they had 2 failures and recalled 90 guns, all from the one and only maker of a relatively new weapon, odds are good that your problems are not over yet.

They may be a great plinker, but I wouldn't trust my life to one, and for $700 you can build a decent post-ban AR-15 that's all in all a better gun, more versitile, and a lot more de-bugged.
View Quote

[b]ArmaLite posted (and tacked the post in the AR-10 & AR-180 Forum for all the world to see - it is still tacked)[/b] that 90 lowers were suspect as all were from the same lot.  ArmaLite posted every suspect serial number of that lot.

[b]Again, I ask you where is your information source indicating more than two (2) AR-180B lower receivers failed ??[/b]

Edited to add:  It appears that "mrostov" has left the board but likely he will provide his source for us tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
 I just don't see why they couldn't have made it out of METALLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

[headbang]

errrr...I mean [banghead]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[b]Again, I ask you where is your information source indicating more than two (2) AR-180B lower receivers failed ??[/b]
View Quote

[b]You show me the post where I specified a number of actual critical failures or said that it was more than or less than any specific number.[/b]

[b]You can't, so henceforth, do be a bit more honest in your accusations.[/b]

What I said in my post was correct.

Quoted:
[b]I was interested in the new ones, so I did some reading here here on the AR10 & AR180 forum and there seems to be a bit of a problem with some of the new polymer lowers breaking at the forward pivot pin holes - sometimes after just a few shots from a new rifle.

Armalite says they did a recall on 90 guns.
[/b]
View Quote

BTW: The source that I PREVIOUSLY QUOTED was right here at AR15.com
[URL]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=62&t=160408[/URL]

There were at least two [b]reported[/b] critical failures that we know about and Armalite says they recalled [b]90 (NINETY)[/b] AR-180B's. That means that there was a real problem with [b]AT LEAST 90 (NINETY) RIFLES[/b].

Recalls are expensive and if there wasn't a real concern about a real problem they wouldn't have recalled those weapons, now would they? No they wouldn't have.

[b]It's obvious what I said so why are you trying to put words in my mouth? Did I dare commit the sin of pissing on your pet toy?[/b]

The AR-180B is basically a range toy, especially at this stage of it's development.

It's also got problems with some mags, like shaving off metal from the tops of the feed lips.

Now, Armalite says that's because the original AR-180 used a 'different' mag and they dismiss it alluding to USA mags and the such, hence blowing it off.

That's pretty much shoe shuffling BS. The original AR-180 used a different [b]lockup[/b] on a mag that was VERY similar to an M16 mag, if not damn near identical. Matter of fact, FedOrd back in the 80's used to make AR-15 mags that also had a slot in the opposite side for lockup in an AR-180.

This tells me that they may have put the mag lockup a bit high in the new magwell of the AR-180B and the tolerances are a bit too tight.

[b]The AR-180B is an interesting range toy that still probably needs some debugging, but it's still just a range toy and it's NOT in the same class as an AR-15 or even the original AR-180.[/b]

And it isn't worth $700.....

-------------

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#14]
There [i]was[/i] a problem with the early AR180B recievers. From what I have read, the polymer was out of spec and therefor was weaker then was intended. I assume that Armalite has recieved a credit for out of spec recievers so a recall would not be VERY expensive.

As far as being worth $700? That is kinda steep.  shit, I like to see it at $500 but for an American made rifle with a polymer reciever, $600+ is not unreasonable.

I have about 1000 rounds through my 180B. The gas/op rod and massive bolt system works with ANY ammo that I have used so far including the "underloaded" british stuff. The gas system also keeps grime out of the action. I have never had a problem with mags being sheared.

It is a [b]6 pound[/b] rifle with a 20" barrel! The muzzle brake works flawlessly, the rifle has a VERY slight rearward movement with ZERO muzzle rise. At a recent NJ shoot, I was hitting 10 out of 10 bowling pins, rapid fire @ about 50 yards. Thats with the stock goast ring sights. The rifle handles great. Ill be at BulletFest if anybody wants to try it.

I would trust my life with MY AR180B, just as I would with MY AR15.

Don't believe every thing you read and don't take advice from people that don't have first hand experience.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top