Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 8:51:35 PM EDT
I used to use these grips on all my builds as well as both of my carry Colt AR's. However, they seem to be another one of my main part suppliers I can no longer locate. Anyone have their contact info or suggestions on a similar quality pistol grip supplier? Those from Lone Star were of the best quality and had a trapdoor for storage of spare parts (I could fit a set of the most important springs, a  firing pin, disconnector, etc. in them with room to spare).  

Kevin
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you, but I would like to know that as well.  I have used there pistol grips on both of my builds.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:43:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto, I use them on most of my builds too. They are a bit fatter and I like that.
Try posting for them in "Want to Buy" on EE. I did that and ended up with 5 of them, some new. Don't know of any dealers that sell them tho.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:47:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I can't help you, but I would like to know that as well.  I have used there pistol grips on both of my builds.

Vulcan94

+1

I love mine.  Have recently searched high and low to no avail.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:02:59 AM EDT
[#4]
THEY QUIT MAKING THEM ABOUT 3-4 YEARS AGO.......SOLD THE LAST ONE I HAD A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Texas, being the "Lone Star State", has a gazillion places called Lone Star xxxxxx, including some gun shops.

I spent hours online looking for any trace of Lone Star Ordnance in San Antonio and in Arlington (Dallas area).  They simply evaporated.

As far as I have been able to determine, they are gone.  

I liked their grips, too, and used them on my builds.   Liked the palm swell especially, and the latch on the trapdoor was secure.

There is a trapdoor "Stowaway" grip sold by Bushmaster, but it is not the same.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#6]
They used to make handguards also. They have LSO marked in them. Had one of their catalogs once. They sold AR parts also and other gun stuff.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#7]
When I got mine I got them from Model 1 and M&A...... Give them a call and see if they still carry them, I also notice the OTIS pistol grip cleaning kit comes with one of them......At least the one shown in the J&T catalog does..... Might check with J&T too.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I had already checked with both Otis and J&T.  I was told that grip was tossed in for photo purposes.  Neither of them have the LoneStar Stowaway II, so don't bother them again.

The LoneStar grip was also used on the Barrett M82A1's, and Barrett no longer has them, either.

Lone Star also refinished 1911's, Garands, .30 Carbines, etc.  They had even done research and were able to duplicate the color of parkerizing on the various makes of .30 carbines, and would apply the correct color park for each.  They socked parts for AR's, Garands, M14's, .30 Carbines, etc, just about every military weapon.  Sorry to see them gone.  They were a good supplier, shipped nice parts quickly.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I had  one,but giving it away,  it was  to big for my hand,so I went for  Bushmaster  stowaway grip.

TG
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I did quite a bit of business with Lone Star through the 80's and also had high regards for their handguards also. Too bad they are no longer around! So far I have one of their grips offered to me because of this post which I accepted. Will take one more, however.
I remember one other aftermarket grip with the trapdoor, but it was not of the quality of Lone Star's and appeared that the trapdoor was not that secure. It also was a thinner grip more along the lines of a stock Colt grip,but I do not remember the manufacturer. Just FYI.

Kevin
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I love those grips.

AZ_Dragoon:
I would call Bushmaster, I believe they handle them a long time, maybe they got a few squirreled away somewhere.

Also try haunting your local gun show, some of those guys may have a few left over. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#12]
TexasGunman:  "I had one,but giving it away, it was to big for my hand,so I went for Bushmaster stowaway grip."

Yes, thank YOU, TexasGunman!!!  My younger son really has enjoyed it on his carbine.  (The kid is 5" taller than I am, wears size 14 shoes.  He NEEDED a bigger grip!)
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]
After trying to find one for a long time I stumbled across one at a gun show last month, but when I got it home I realized that it must have been made for some other gun.  The bottom of the receiver slot is AR15 looking, but above that it is much wider and there is no hole for the detent spring.  What the hell did I buy?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Lone Star pistol grip for an AR.  A1 with the swing down door for storage.

I will trade it for a new or as new GI 30 round mag with green follower..

Anyone want it????

Bryan.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I searched for them recently, and found them at a paintball supply company.  Here they are, for $8.00: stores.yahoo.com/usapaintball/m16grip.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I used to use these grips on all my builds as well as both of my carry Colt AR's. However, they seem to be another one of my main part suppliers I can no longer locate. Anyone have their contact info or suggestions on a similar quality pistol grip supplier? Those from Lone Star were of the best quality and had a trapdoor for storage of spare parts (I could fit a set of the most important springs, a  firing pin, disconnector, etc. in them with room to spare).  

Kevin - I hear ya! I used a lone star for years on my carbine.

Bushmaster IIRC sells a similar grip, as does Otis (though the Otis one comes with a cleaning kit inside).

The other option (the one I'm now using) is the Tango Down battle grip.  It feels very nice and has a waterproof compartment inside.  The room was designed for batteries - but there is no reason why your parts won't fit.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I searched for them recently, and found them at a paintball supply company.  Here they are, for $8.00: stores.yahoo.com/usapaintball/m16grip.html

Oh No!  Now we're recomending Paint Ball parts to be used on read weapons?

Airsoft was bad enough.

Lumpy's going to have conniptions.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks, been looking for these for a while now.

Ergo has one, but not nearly as good a latch.  It look like the original Stowaway from Lone Star and looks like a regular A2 grip.

The one in this Viper ad is the Lonestar Stowaway II.  Note swell, a fatter grip.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh No! Now we're recomending Paint Ball parts to be used on read weapons?

Forest, actually, this is the other way around... the paint ballers are using real parts.

Lone Star Ord used to be my first choice for small parts.  Always good quality parts, fast service.  

I just ordered some Stowaway II's from the paint ball company, will let you guys know if they are the real deal.

I wonder who now owns the dies for these grips?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I just got off the phone with the usapaintball outfit listed above.  They no longer have any of the LoneStar Stowaways, and now sub another grip.

I just cancelled my order.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just got off the phone with the usapaintball outfit listed above.  They no longer have any of the LoneStar Stowaways, and now sub another grip.

I just cancelled my order.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I didnt realize that they stopped doing buisness.....I see them at the Dallas Market Hall gunshows all the time. I'll ask them whats up at the next show in late November.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:26:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry for the disinfo guys.  As was stated above, the paintball place has run out of them also.  I received the replacement grips (Falcon) today, and they're OK - but  I like the larger Lone Star grips better.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I didnt realize that they stopped doing buisness.....I see them at the Dallas Market Hall gunshows all the time. I'll ask them whats up at the next show in late November.

Romad, what name are they doing business under now?

The last contact I had with them they were in Arlington, TX (greater Dallas area).  I have been unable to locate them under Lonestar Ordnance or Lone Star Ordnance.

Lone Star, if you are out there, I want a price quote on the dies.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
After trying to find one for a long time I stumbled across one at a gun show last month, but when I got it home I realized that it must have been made for some other gun.  The bottom of the receiver slot is AR15 looking, but above that it is much wider and there is no hole for the detent spring.  What the hell did I buy?

You got a grip destined for a paintball gun.  The Lone Star grips used to be the cadillac of grips for paintball guns when pumps were all the rage and semis were something you had just heard about but never seen in person.  I recently came across an extra Stowaway II that came with a mint VM-68 I bought, but I swear the grip stub slot is of identical size as a standard AR grip.  I know this for sure because I put it on the lower I was messing around with at the time.  It fit perfectly, didn't have the spring hole drilled, looked kinda funky and oversized.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You got a grip destined for a paintball gun.  The Lone Star grips used to be the cadillac of grips for paintball guns when pumps were all the rage and semis were something you had just heard about but never seen in person.  I recently came across an extra Stowaway II that came with a mint VM-68 I bought, but I swear the grip stub slot is of identical size as a standard AR grip.  I know this for sure because I put it on the lower I was messing around with at the time.  It fit perfectly, didn't have the spring hole drilled, looked kinda funky and oversized.

Ditto on this.  I have a Diablo pump marker sitting around, bought it used in High School in 1995 for $50 [the guitar enters, and Garth Brooks starts singing "I'm much too young to feel this damn old"].   It has a Lone Star grip with the stowaway, but without the detent spring hole.  Now, if you had a drill, I suppose you could WECSOG it.................

Anyway, I have a copy of an M-16 Lonestar grip, with the detent spring hole.  I got it because I thought it'd be a good replacement, esp. given my big hands, but in the end I like the stock Armalite grip and so I don't use it.

If someone wants it, email me at [email protected] and you can have it.  

G1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top