Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2006 6:53:57 AM EDT
I am going to sell a quantity of ammo and bandoleers, M193 and M855 ammo to be exact, and I would like to know if there are certain states that have restrictions on the sale or shipping of this ammo.  I would also like to find out how I can safely and legally mail this ammo to the purchaser.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
As those are FMJ rounds I don't know of any state that would ban it.

Some states require a FOID to buy ammo (Ill, Mass, and NJ come to mind - I wouldn't doubt CA).

DC is another place you can't send ammo to.

You can't ship it by mail, but you can by ground via UPS the box needs to be marked "ORM-D" IIRC.  Contact UPS for more info.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
No such thing as a FOID in Cali.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
No ammo to New York City (only the city, not the state).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]
FOID is IL only (we're SPECIAL).

If you sell to someone in IL, you have to get a copy of their FOID before sending the ammo.

WIZZO

BTW, that ammo is legal for sale in IL.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
FOID is IL only (we're SPECIAL).

You may be the only ones that call it that - but the same idea is used in NJ & MA
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a heads-up....

Legally, you cannot mail (as in US Post Office mail) ammo. It's viewed as hazardous, so if you tell your local USPS what you're sending--they won't. If you don't tell them and get caught....Well, they told me it was a felony, so I didn't.

UPS (as in United Parcel Service) will ship ammo, as will FedEx. I just went through this pain-in-the a$$ process and, frankly, if you're honest about what you're shipping, UPS and FedEx will NOT accept ammo UNLESS you are licensed to ship ammo--They said that means you know how to pack it. Both UPS and FedEx said these are federal laws. I just tried to send someone a few boxes (150rounds) as a gift, but UPS, and FedEx refused the package when I told them it was ammo. It turned into such a PIA, I ordered the ammo on-line and had it sent directly to his address since this was easier.

I know plenty of folks who send ammo UPS and just don't say what it is. And I've sent ammo years ago when UPS didn't seem to give a rat's-a$$ and would just send it.  Now, it's a bit more involved if you follow the rules.

YMMV--hope this helps. I'd suggest contacting these shippers yourself to get the info first-hand.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Some states require a FOID to buy ammo (Ill, Mass, and NJ come to mind - I wouldn't doubt CA).

NJ is fine, no FOID needed.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No ammo to New York City (only the city, not the state).

Ammo is perfectly fine to send to NYC, it's up to the receiver to have the proper permitage.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top