Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2005 3:45:30 PM EDT
What's the quickest way to unlink ammos w/out screwing up too much the case?
Any tricks to reduce the PITA of doing it?
Ok, besides buying a belt-fed machine gun and start feeding it

- Ice

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Put on some leather work gloves to protect your hands, grab the belt with your weak hand, and with  your strong hand, push the bullet on the end of the belt out of the belt backwards.  In other words, you are pushing on the bullet end towards the primer end.  With a bit of a push, the round will pop out of the link.
Rinse, repeat.

-Troy

+1
Depending on where you do this, you may want to put a piece of carpet under the area to catch the rounds as they pop out.  I used to do this with 7.62 belts and I used a cheap shower area rug (2'x3') under the area too protect the rounds and to not get the little wife's wall to wall dirty.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Put on some leather work gloves to protect your hands, grab the belt with your weak hand, and with  your strong hand, push the bullet on the end of the belt out of the belt backwards.  In other words, you are pushing on the bullet end towards the primer end.  With a bit of a push, the round will pop out of the link.

Ok, after having popped about 200 rounds I've found that the best way is to setup a large punch-tool (about .25") with a rubber cup (or just tape) over the head, secure it in a vise, and press the primer side of the round out of the belt. This allows me to pop a round with a single stroke, thing that it's not possible when pushing with my thumb (that will stop at the second ring of the belt). Definitely needed are work gloves.

- Ice
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, after having popped about 200 rounds I've found that the best way is to setup a large punch-tool (about .25") with a rubber cup (or just tape) over the head, secure it in a vise, and press the primer side of the round out of the belt. This allows me to pop a round with a single stroke, thing that it's not possible when pushing with my thumb (that will stop at the second ring of the belt). Definitely needed are work gloves.

- Ice

The only problem with this procedure is that it drags the whole case through the links.  If you changed your "punch" to have a hollow for the tip of a bullet and pushed in the opposite direction, I bet the process would be just as fast and leave fewer scratches on the cases-and have zero contact with the primers, which scares the begeezus out of me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]
But then you'll have to hope that the crimp is really solid, otherwise you'd end up pushing the bullet down into the case.
The brass did not come out that bad actually.

- Ice

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
build a delinking machine. I used to use a homemade version for belted 30-06 and 7.62.  nothing fancy just some wodden dowels in a board with another board with pins spaced to hold the links.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top