Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2013 11:55:25 PM EDT
I'm a longtime smallbore shooter who decided to get into 3 Gun a while back so I built myself a rifle. Bought the receivers and BCG from a local place in Reno (US Firearms Academy- they're spendy, but they make some really good stuff with some really tight tolerances, and it' local) and got a Wilson Combat 3G trigger and muzzle brake and a Lilja M4 contour 17" barrel. Topped it off with a Burris Fullfield Tac-30- which I think is a great optic, super clear glass and the reticle is great for both close target engagement and shooting steel out to 500 yds.

Anyways, was doing some load testing yesterday off the sandbag and found I could not shoot anything bigger than a half inch group at 100 yards with 20 grains of 4198 behind 69 grain MatchKings. If you're in the process of a build, and want a super accurate (and super expensive) carbine-length barrel that's sub-MOA, look no further. I literally cannot say enough good things about this barrel.

Sidenote, if you get the Wilson Combat 3G trigger, it has a super short reset, and they warn you about bump firing. If you shoot off a bag, or slung up (which I do occasionally) you may find yourself occasionally ripping off a three or four round burst if you don't pay attention- but for rolling double taps on the move, it's great.

Was hoping to include pictures of the rifle tonight, but my camera decided to run out of juice and I can't find the charger.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii543/ives5113/image.jpeg

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:57:24 AM EDT
I have one coming in 6.5 Grendel and I hope it's as good a shooter as your barrel.

What velocity were you getting with that load?  I use 19.8g of IMR4198 with a 55g FMJ and get the same results as you but it's a little slow at 2890 fps.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:13:45 AM EDT
What's their lead time for a barrel? I'm assuming that it comes with a matched bolt? I couldn't find the info on their site

Wondering if I should have went with Lilja instead of Satern for the upcoming Grendel build.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:41:41 AM EDT
They do not come with a matched bolt, both of the brands you listed are great
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:57:09 AM EDT
There's currently a Lilja  group buy happening at 65grendel.com you still have time to get in it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:47:20 AM EDT
I guess the long wait for the Satern barrels is because of the lack of bolts available. I would think it would have got better by now, but I guess not.

For some reason my account was never approved on 65Grendel, I'll have to email them and see what the problem is.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:34:41 AM EDT
Quoted:
I have one coming in 6.5 Grendel and I hope it's as good a shooter as your barrel.

What velocity were you getting with that load?  I use 19.8g of IMR4198 with a 55g FMJ and get the same results as you but it's a little slow at 2890 fps.
View Quote

According to the book, I allegedly get 2700 with the 69 grainers, but I doubt it's that high because of the short barrel and I don't have a chrono. Shooting groups i was getting better results as the velocities crept up, so as more powder becomes available I'm going to work up some faster loads with some different powder.

I like shooting the 69's because the club I shoot 3 Gun at has those MGM long range targets out to 400 yards or so depending on the match, and you typically get them on three or four stages.

Quoted:
What's their lead time for a barrel? I'm assuming that it comes with a matched bolt? I couldn't find the info on their site

Wondering if I should have went with Lilja instead of Satern for the upcoming Grendel build.
View Quote

They had mine in stock, (just made up four or five of their "M4" model) so I bought it and had it on the gun in three days. No matched bolt, I just used a brand new hard chrome one, and it works great- the theory is as you shoot it the little imperfections will get worn down and they eventually match. I don't know how valid that is, but it seems to work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:52:48 PM EDT
Quoted:
I'm a longtime smallbore shooter who decided to get into 3 Gun a while back so I built myself a rifle. Bought the receivers and BCG from a local place in Reno (US Firearms Academy- they're spendy, but they make some really good stuff with some really tight tolerances, and it' local) and got a Wilson Combat 3G trigger and muzzle brake and a Lilja M4 contour 17" barrel. Topped it off with a Burris Fullfield Tac-30- which I think is a great optic, super clear glass and the reticle is great for both close target engagement and shooting steel out to 500 yds.

Anyways, was doing some load testing yesterday off the sandbag and found I could not shoot anything bigger than a half inch group at 100 yards with 20 grains of 4198 behind 69 grain MatchKings. If you're in the process of a build, and want a super accurate (and super expensive) carbine-length barrel that's sub-MOA, look no further. I literally cannot say enough good things about this barrel.

Sidenote, if you get the Wilson Combat 3G trigger, it has a super short reset, and they warn you about bump firing. If you shoot off a bag, or slung up (which I do occasionally) you may find yourself occasionally ripping off a three or four round burst if you don't pay attention- but for rolling double taps on the move, it's great.

Was hoping to include pictures of the rifle tonight, but my camera decided to run out of juice and I can't find the charger.

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii543/ives5113/image.jpeg

View Quote

Congrats on your build with the Lilja bbl!!   I know exactly what you mean on the groups.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:51:57 PM EDT
IMR 4198 seems like an insanely fast powder for anything above 55gr.  I can see that IMR gives data on it up to the 69gr bullet, but I bet the velocity is crawling or you are going to be seeing serious pressure signs if you try to get any velocity out of it.

I am super jealous of the groups.  I too use the TAC30 and it is calibrated for a 68/69gr traveling 2850fps.  I have yet to find a powder that my barrel likes, that will shoot the 69SMK accurately.  I was going to try reloader15 next.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:11:48 PM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IMR 4198 seems like an insanely fast powder for anything above 55gr.  I can see that IMR gives data on it up to the 69gr bullet, but I bet the velocity is crawling or you are going to be seeing serious pressure signs if you try to get any velocity out of it.

I am super jealous of the groups.  I too use the TAC30 and it is calibrated for a 68/69gr traveling 2850fps.  I have yet to find a powder that my barrel likes, that will shoot the 69SMK accurately.  I was going to try reloader15 next.
View Quote
I use H335 with 68g Hornady BTHP so far with the 2 loads I tried I've shot .7 moa and .300 moa unfortunately my chrono broke shortly before this work up so I don't know the velocity.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:15:03 PM EDT
When I got my JP rifle, they were using Lilja barrels (and probably still do).  It really is a great barrel.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:31:54 PM EDT
Lilja makes very good barrels, heavily favored by service rifle shooters.  However, they are quite heavy and very expensive at $415 each. - CW
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:33:40 PM EDT
Quoted:
Lilja makes very good barrels, heavily favored by service rifle shooters.  However, they are quite heavy and very expensive at $415 each. - CW
View Quote

Krieger, Shilen, Lilja...    Lilja gets my money for the time being
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:18:47 AM EDT

Quoted:

View Quote
try again , the SS barrels are $465 and the CM barrels are $315
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:37:53 AM EDT
.260 Remington 1024 Lilja barrel shoots lights out.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:47:47 AM EDT
you have your own putting green....oh and nice rifle.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:50:35 AM EDT
Quoted:
you have your own putting green....oh and nice rifle.
View Quote

It was cheaper than my own rifle range.
Top Top