Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 3:25:58 AM EST

Can anyone tell me what to expect during rapid or extended firing out of a lightweight barrel? How quickly will the barrel be affected? Will more heat transfer to the handguards because of the thin barrel?

The reason I ask is I am about to purchase a lightweight profile 11.5" barrel for my SBR. If I deploy sometime soon overseas I intend to try to take this upper with me if possible because of the ease of moving the short barrel around inside a HMMWV. Our issued M16A2s are virtually impossible to use in this situation, and I don't anticipate being issued an M4 prior to deployment. If my unit is ambushed on convoy duty I might need to do a lot of firing on the way through, and I don't want to take a barrel over with me that won't perform when I need it.

I am not a shooter who spends a lot of time doing mag dumps or bumpfiring at the range or anything like that, but I might need to to test out this barrel once I recieve it. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any information.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:44:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/29/2006 4:02:58 AM EST by twl]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:12:23 AM EST

TWL:

Thank you very much, great info there. I'm saving it for future reference.

Regarding the buffer and magazine issues, I also intend to take personal mags over there with Wolff springs, and Magpul followers (or buy them and have them shipped to my APO). I also have an aftermarket FA buffer to take with me as well.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:59:12 AM EST
Tom,

That's excellent information; thanks for sharing!

Justin
Top Top