Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2013 10:44:09 PM EDT
I'm thinking about building a lightweight 16" upper and I need some suggestions on some really good barrel options. Preferably in .223 Wylde.

I don't mind spending some money on the barrel - what I'm looking for is: as much accuracy as I can get in a lightweight barrel. I predator hunt as a part of my job and I need a lightweight and maneuverable AR for hunting thick cover. Plus, my wife has caught the predator "bug" and would have an easier time with something lighter than my Larue Stealths. Any suggestions from the braintrust?

Barrels that are not impossible to acquire would be helpful.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't mind spending some money on the barrel - what I'm looking for is: as much accuracy as I can get in a lightweight barrel.
View Quote

Have Compass Lake chamber and profile and/or flute a high-end blank to you specs.  It wn't be cheap or fast, but it will be good.

JP? http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSM223-16L8
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have Compass Lake chamber and profile and/or flute a high-end blank to you specs.  It wn't be cheap or fast, but it will be good.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't mind spending some money on the barrel - what I'm looking for is: as much accuracy as I can get in a lightweight barrel.

I'm seriously considering JP. I'll check out Compass Lake but, while I'm not in a rush, I'm not all that patient either. Lol! I make more money killing predators in the winter and, if I'm going to do this build, I'd like to do it while it's a little easier to offset the costs with some fur.

Thanks for the links!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:48:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a DD 14.5 LW and it's been great.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:38:22 AM EDT
[#4]
for reference....I just re barreled my Colt carbine with a .600" Double Star 16" carbine length with plain old chrome lining...sighting it in and not a lot of shots on the barrel... I got 1 to 1 1/2" groups (5 shots) at 100m while sighting in, and not really shooting for groups... with an 4x32 ACOG TA01 cross hair dot
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a DD and BCM LW....both gtg
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I would recommend getting a Daniel Defense Lightweight also.  My 11.5 Lightweight DD outshot my 11.5-16" Blackhole (heavy SS) barrels.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#7]
The compass lake option is solid choice, order it up as you want and send it out to get melonited.

Other options are Lothar Walther; call and ask him what he has available, he may surprise you

Dont want to wait, I'd do this one: Criterion Lightweight Match Carbine - pencil profile, .223/NATO hybrid match chamber (same as Wylde I'm sure), chrome lined and solid reputation for accuracy.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#8]
It wil be hard to find a barrel in Wylde chamber and light weight profile. If thats what your wanting you may want to look at a Rainier arms barrel and have it fluted. If weight is the issue I recommend a Daniel Defense LW, very accurate and light. A Rainier Arms Ultra Match 16" weighs in at 34oz., a Daniel Defense LW 16" 21oz.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:26:22 AM EDT
[#9]
I have four or five Wilson barrels, two of them lightweights, and I have been impressed very much with all of them.  Not a one of them has any trouble going MOA with most loads.  My two lightweights are a 16 inch 5.56 1:7 or 1:8, don't recall off hand, and a .30 cal 1:12 that I had rechambered to .30 HRT, also a 16 inch.  Both of those suckers will drop good loads MOA or better all day long.  They clean up in nothing flat even with TTSX bullets so the days of copper fouling have been licked.  You can pay more, a lot more, but unless you are one exceptional shooter and only shooting from benchrest with hi power scopes, IMO you will have a hard time bettering your groups.  
Plus, as they heat up, the groups stay tight and do not start to wander so apparently Wilson does an excellent job of getting as much of the stress out of the barrel as is humanly possible.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:45:42 AM EDT
[#10]
ARPerformance as exactly what you are looking for: lw wylde chamber in 16" mid with melonite finish.

Do a forum search on them, their barrels have an outstanding reputation for accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Two more possibilities:

Noveske - http://shopnoveske.com/collections/barrels/products/lightweight-5-56mm-stainless-barrel.  Not Wylde, but has a good reputation for accuracy.

Proof Research - http://proofresearch.com/barrels/ar-cf/.  May be worth a look but VERY expensive.  I have one of the old "Advanced Barrel Systems" (ABS) versions, which were less expensive and built around a Mike Rock cut rifled blank.  The new ones are built around a blank built in-house.  The ABS barrels got mixed reviews, but mine has been great.  Lightweight, stiff and accurate.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#12]
How much weight can you really cut off with just a barrel?  Seems like bang for the buck it would be a pretty bad exchange.  Seems like it would be better to spend a little time at the gym so it would be easier to carry that extra half pound, or maybe not bolt too much crap to the rails.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How much weight can you really cut off with just a barrel?  Seems like bang for the buck it would be a pretty bad exchange.  Seems like it would be better to spend a little time at the gym so it would be easier to carry that extra half pound, or maybe not bolt too much crap to the rails.
View Quote

It's not really about total weight.  Most people who prefer lightweight barrels like the way they handle.  They feel more agile.  Clearly there's enough demand to justify Noveske's light barreled "Rogue Hunter" and Larue's PredatAR.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ARPerformance as exactly what you are looking for: lw wylde chamber in 16" mid with melonite finish.

Do a forum search on them, their barrels have an outstanding reputation for accuracy.
View Quote
They are out of stock, and from my experience the wait can be quite awhile for their barrels. That said they make OUTSTANDING product.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the great replies, fellas! Sorry I haven't been back to read them until now but I've been hunting.

I may have to come off the 'Wylde" requirement - it sure opens up more options. I'm just a little stuck on it because my Larue's are chambered in Wylde.

Thanks again y'all!

Quoted:
View Quote

It's not 'just about the barrel.' As I posted, I'm building a lightweight upper - that means cutting weight wherever I can. This thread was only about a single component of my build. I already have and use several heavier ARs that have very little furniture but when you're trying to make a shot on a running coyote in a small clearing, a 18" heavy barrel on a Larue Stealth is not an advantage. As someone else stated, it's about the way a rifle feels. It doesn't matter if Arnold Schwarzenaeger was hunting with me, a lightweight rifle is swing than one that's built for shooting in open country. Also, strength has very little to do with what kind of setup is easier to carry when you're trying to slip quietly through very thick and thorny brush to reach a calling stand carrying a rifle, a shotgun and your other calling gear. Big difference between playing army man on a range and actually working in the brush.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not really about total weight.  Most people who prefer lightweight barrels like the way they handle.  They feel more agile.  Clearly there's enough demand to justify Noveske's light barreled "Rogue Hunter" and Larue's PredatAR.
View Quote

Thanks for that reply, Essayons! I love my Larue Stealths - they're tack drivers with my Nightforce scopes but they're not handy for fast running shots. I looked at the PredatAR but I really only need an upper and the money I will save (over buying a complete rifle) can be put to better use buying more glass. I guess I could ask Larue if they'd  sell me just the upper; but, since it's not an option on the website, I'm pretty sure they wont.  Plus, I prefer a shorter handguard since the only furniture I ever have is a kill light.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top