Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/15/2006 9:30:11 AM EDT
I'm considering going to a lightweight profile on my 16" midlength but I've not seen such an animal mentioned/advertised around here. One vendor that I asked stated that there just wasn't any demand for them.

So...my questions are:

1. Does anyone sell a chrome-lined, 16", lightweight, midlength barrel?

2. Would anyone else want a barrel like that and, if not, is there some technical reason (not personal taste) why it would not be worth having, etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:26:16 AM EDT
I want something like that also. Try looking at CMMG (www.cmmginc.com) I think is their address. Problem is, all their barrels are 1-7" and I want 1-9"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:11:25 AM EDT
I want something like that also and have been looking for it, with not much luck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:35:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 11:37:41 AM EDT by Davinho]
Talon Arms has 16" mid-length gas system uppers with chrome lined lightweight 1 in 7" barrel s with M-4 extensions from Sabre Defense.

www.talonarms.com

ETA: They have barrels too:

barrels
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:50:36 PM EDT
I wanted a superlight midlength so I ordered a complete RRA upper from ADCO and had them turn the barrel down to my specs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:56:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Websniper:
I want something like that also. Try looking at CMMG (www.cmmginc.com) I think is their address. Problem is, all their barrels are 1-7" and I want 1-9"

1-7 is fine (either way is fine) but I don't think they have "lightweights." Everyone seems to have "light under the handguards" but...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:58:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Griz:
I wanted a superlight midlength so I ordered a complete RRA upper from ADCO and had them turn the barrel down to my specs.

So far, that's the only way to go. I may just go to a carbine gas...maybe there's just not enough difference to make a difference.

By the way, how is your ADCO turned down barrel working out? Do you have the weight you can share?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:10:09 PM EDT
According to Forest's EXCELLENT (man I can't say "thanks" enough Forest!) weight table, the 16" mid-length, government profile barrel weighs 2.6 ounces more than a Bushmaster Superlight barrel.

Keep in mind that the mid-length has 2" more profiled area than a similarly profiled 16" barrel. The 16" M4 for instance weighs 2.1 ounces more than the Mid-length.

I'm all for light weight, but I don't think I'd spend the $65 it cost to get the front of the barrel profiled just to save a couple of ounces.

The 16" mid-length with government profile is REALLY light, and a PERFECT balance IMHO.

If anybody is going to make one though, it will probably CMMG who does it first. They seem to be on a barrel making frenzy. (which is a good thing)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:06:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 6:08:03 PM EDT by cgv69]

Originally Posted By Onslaught:
The 16" mid-length with government profile is REALLY light, and a PERFECT balance IMHO.

I guess opinions vary. I have a 16" mid-length with an A2 government profile. It would not say that it is heavy but I sure as heck wouldn't say it's "REALLY light" either. I've also held a 16" light weight carbine (Colt 6520) and while I didn't weigh either one (hence, I can't say if the 2.6oz number given above is correct) I can say the difference felt noticeably larger then that to me.

One thing I have learned is weight is one thing, balance is another. Too me I feel balance is almost more important then overall weight. My middy only feels balanced with a A1 fixed stock. It does not feel balanced at all to me with a collapsible stock on it. The 6520 feels very balanced (again, to me) with a collapsible stock.

A true light weight middy barrel? I'm sure there would be some interest but I would advice that you not hold your breath on anybody coming out with one anytime soon. We have just recently gotten to the point where you can fairly easily find 16" middy's with an A2 profile and 1/7 twist. A year ago you couldn't even find that and there were a lot more people calling for them.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:47:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 6:52:54 PM EDT by Wolf_Warrior]
Your comments are pretty much on with my personal experience.

1. Balance is more important than weight
2. Triming the last few inches of a "middy" probably won't gain much (although I haven't tried yet)

A local guy suggested that since the midlenght weight is forward (gas block, sight, etc.), it "feels" heavier (muzzle down weight)

So...maybe I'll skip the lightweight midlength and go for a carbine lightweight....because...lightweight and better balance and availability?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:21:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Wolf_Warrior:
So...maybe I'll skip the lightweight midlength and go for a carbine lightweight....because...lightweight and better balance and availability?

I'm right there with you. Don't get me wrong. I still think Middies are sweet and have a lot to offer but I think if you want a truly handy light weight and well balanced carbine, a true LW profiled barrel with a carbine length gas system is probably the best way to go at this point?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 8:43:45 PM EDT by JBowles]
CMMG makes them.

Look at there 14.5" middy it's awesome.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:20:32 AM EDT
I got a middy a long time ago, when there were no options to get them Gov't profile. I really want to have mine recontoured because it's heavy as hell the way it is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:59:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gimme_A_Carbine:
I got a middy a long time ago, when there were no options to get them Gov't profile. I really want to have mine recontoured because it's heavy as hell the way it is.

Mine is a RRA, chrome-lined, that was contoured down to a "pencil" uner the handguards. It is .75 at the FSB out to the muzzle. On paper, it is not very heavy. I want to say that it is about 2.2 with handgurards, etc., but I can't remember. Maybe a little heavy overall but it is comfortable to carry and to shoot...generally.

However, it is muzzle-heavy. Not bad but it is distracting and...well, I just like weapons that are better balanced. I thought about turning down the rest of the barrel -- from the FSB to the muzzle but I don't think that there is enough metal there to make a significant difference.
Top Top