Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 127
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 7:53:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: withoutremorse42] [#1]
Here's the official pre-EE notice for ultralight bros.  I'm selling my ultralight lower and my ultralight upper.  For NFA reasons, I consider these to be separate sales.  My Faxon 14.5" barrel with silver-soldered muzzle device was tragically destroyed, and replaced with an identical barrel for your convenience.  All NFA laws apply.

PM or text 907-518-4541 for morepics or details so I don't derail this thread.  I'd like to keep the halves together as much as possible, parting out would be a last option, but inspections may start next week..

Some links included for reference.  not all details in the linked articles are still current, so read the list below

UPPER:  As-is weight 2 lbs 11.3 oz (with optic)
Bootleg upper receiver
Faxon 14.5" pencil barrel, 1/8 twist
V7 11.1" Hyperlight forend and barrel nut
2A RBC
Sintercore Charging handle
no muzzle device.
Primary Arms MD-ADS microdot doesn't have to be included

LOWER: 1lb 6.1 oz as below
V7 2055 Li-AL lower receiver
V7 ultralight castle nut
V7 titanium QD End plate
V7 57 degree selector with Ti core
V7 lightweight mag release
V7 Ti buffer retaining pin
V7 S7 tool steel bolt release
Taccom 3g ultralight buffers
Tubb flat spring
Hogue 15 degree grip
no fire control

Prices: well below retail.  Buy more save more!  Interested?  Text or PM (pm is slower to respond)

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a sweet build!!! I enjoyed the article on it. Next time you should delve into the... absurd!!! 😂 Sub 3lbs!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pscot468:
That's a sweet build!!! I enjoyed the article on it. Next time you should delve into the... absurd!!! 😂 Sub 3lbs!!!
View Quote

That's the plan!  I've got the layout started and the PWD referenced.  sub 3 lbs with off the shelf parts
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By withoutremorse42:That's the plan!  I've got the layout started and the PWD referenced.  sub 3 lbs with off the shelf parts
View Quote

Noooice!
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

intrigued...hopefully you're not being forced to sell due to job loss etc.
View Quote

@jekbrown

Here's the EE link to the lower
https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipment-exchange/Ultralight-Lower-Receiver-build-1-3-lbs-V7-titanium-and-Li-Al-parts-470-shipped/119-2012417/?page=1

and the upper
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/WTS-Ultralight-upper-receiver-2lbs-11oz-w-Pa-microdot-V7-Bootleg-2A-and-Faxon-775-shipped-L48/159-2012425/

AAAAAAnd now I'm done hijacking.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Selling a stamped lower?

I may be selling my upper soon as well but, I'll be keeping my stamped lower.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quite some time ago, one of you guys posted a pic of a standard buffer that you cut slots in the sides and drilled the end out to make it lighter. I thought it was a pretty cool idea so I copied it😁
Now that I have it done I’m a little worried if it will hold up.

Whoever did that, have you put a lot of rounds on it? How’s it holding up?

I’m thinking maybe I’ll put it in my PSA beater rifle and see how it does.  
I’d hate to ruin an expensive receiver if it bends. I think the drilled Taccom might be stronger at about the same weight.

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 2:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JerDerv] [#8]
Originally Posted By larrys:
Quite some time ago, one of you guys posted a pic of a standard buffer that you cut slots in the sides and drilled the end out to make it lighter. I thought it was a pretty cool idea so I copied it😁
Now that I have it done I’m a little worried if it will hold up.

Whoever did that, have you put a lot of rounds on it? How’s it holding up?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pca6vyz2zaxzisl/Photo%20Jun%2020%2C%206%2028%2016%20PM.jpg?raw=1

I’m thinking maybe I’ll put it in my PSA beater rifle and see how it does.  
I’d hate to ruin an expensive receiver if it bends. I think the drilled Taccom might be stronger at about the same weight.

View Quote

Hello! That was me.

I have probably about a thousand rounds on it and i pulled it due to 1 major concern. The remaining supports are bending inwards. I believe that eventually my buffer will buckle inwards.

With that being said, i did mine by hand and the remaining ribs if you will are  .20" to .25" in width. How wide are yours? I do wonder if this could be prevented by leaving a support ring around the center of the buffer instead of cutting the slots the full length. Maybe 3 slots instead of 4? Also most of the weight savings comes from drilling the face out like you did and im sure that chamfer helps quite a bit as well.

Link Posted: 6/23/2020 5:49:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#9]
Thanks Jervderv! I guess I should have asked this question before I did the mods!

I made the four slots 1/4” and the remaining slats are almost the same as yours at .260.

Dang I could have made that rib im the center🤣. Maybe if I get another spare buffer I’ll try it again.

ETA, dang nice work, no way I could do that by hand.

I’m thinking maybe I could put a rigid foam filler inside, that would prevent the sides from bowing in without adding much weight.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Just glanced at Master of Arms' webside. Looks like they are doing a pistol advertised at 3.5 lbs.

https://www.masterofarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=82
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 12:19:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#11]
I went to palmetto State armory and saw the "bullet" titanium cam pins being sold under the psa custom series label. And iron city rifle works is selling dlc coated titanium cam pins!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 12:28:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#12]
Weighed this the other night, sans bayonet:

Attachment Attached File

Unloaded, but w/ 3-9X optic, 7.2 lbs on the bathroom scale.  27" pencil turned down by Paladin Machine of SC from a 1:9" Green Mountain blank, no weights in the buffer, lightweight steel carrier, rifle + 3" gas, White Oak gas tube, Hera Arms thumbhole, one can of baby blue Duracoat, lower cast of two-part epoxy in a AR15mold.com mold, polymer buffer tube, standard cheap LPK.  Think it's an MI full-length rail.

Not an intentional lightweight build, but rifle +3" gas forces you to shed weight.  And already had a few lightweight bits to begin w/.

ETA:  No LRBHO & no buffer retaining pin - those voids are solid epoxy.  There's also a steel reinforcing piece inside the lower from the buffer tube boss down to the pistol grip screw.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m glad to see manufacturers continue to bring lightweight arms and products to market.

Backbencher that’s a badass weapon.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By larrys:  I’m glad to see manufacturers continue to bring lightweight arms and products to market.

Backbencher that’s a badass weapon.
View Quote

Cheers.  It's more a sword-bayonet display mount for the oldest girl than anything else.  I'm rather more fond of it than she is.  It was the very devil to get it to run w/ rifle +3" gas, but quite instructive.  I was able to validate that curved Magpul Gen 2s are better than their straight 20's in marginal gas situations.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone know the lightest A5 buffer tube? It's to my understanding AR10s/308/A5 is the same.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ahrion:
Anyone know the lightest A5 buffer tube? It's to my understanding AR10s/308/A5 is the same.
View Quote

Lightest one I've seen is V7's
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ahrion:  Anyone know the lightest A5 buffer tube? It's to my understanding AR10s/308/A5 is the same.
View Quote

Uh - you want to do some more reading on .308 class ARs if you're building one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Uh - you want to do some more reading on .308 class ARs if you're building one.
View Quote

I'm not building one, but from what I'm reading the AR10 buffer tube is the same size as the A5.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#19]

I'm not building one, but from what I'm reading the AR10 buffer tube is the same size as the A5.
View Quote

Armalite (modern) AR-10 yes.  DPMS pattern typically run normal AR-15 buffer tubes w/ shorter buffers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#20]
In keeping with tradition I've acknowledged that while it was fun assembling a sub-five-pound AR, I need to downsize a tad (more like prevent upsizing--i have a few more build ideas so time to offload a few things).  My ultralight stuff is up in the EE; you'll need a lower with LPK/FCG installed, and a mil-spec extension tube.

If you mention the lightweight/ultralight crew in comms, i'll knock 50 bucks off for ya.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Still needs to be tapped and maybe a little bead blasting/handwork but I think it turned out pretty good for a test piece.  I got a good laugh when I saw the weight.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:01:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By andyglidewell:
Still needs to be tapped and maybe a little bead blasting/handwork but I think it turned out pretty good for a test piece.  I got a good laugh when I saw the weight.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172608/20200709_210923_jpg-1497124.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/172608/20200709_211006_jpg-1497125.JPG
View Quote

I REALLY like that brake!

Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:57:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Very cool project. Looks great!
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#24]
That is pretty awesome, I just don't like brakes on intermediate cal guns. Needs moar flash hider.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#25]
@andyglidewell  That looks like a really nice piece can't wait to see your update and how it performs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Reconfigured my first LW build a little. I wasn’t happy with the Sabertube stock or the red dot I had on it so did some carbon fiber furniture and a LPVO.
So far I really like it.

Weight is 3.6 lbs w/o scope and 4.39 with.

Link Posted: 7/22/2020 1:50:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Taccom 2-piece vs. empty carbine buffer shell

For my lightweight build, I'm debating whether to get the Taccom 2-piece buffer or just go with an empty carbine buffer shell. After taking out the weights, I measured my empty buffer shell to be 0.9 oz. The Taccom 2-piece buffer is 1.1 oz. So, is the Taccom buffer better? I don't know how does this 2-piece buffer work differently than the normal one buffer unit. Has anyone tried both set up and found Taccom to be tangibly better?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:53:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#28]
I'm interested in this one a POF Rogue .308 mods I'm finishing up. Unfortunately my SLR7 Ti doesn't fit under my handguard right (it slightly touches on the sides) and I haven't even shot it yet.

I'm looking at the ZenitCo RGB-1 adjustable titanium clamp on gas block and it looks like the profile -should- fit under my V7 handuard. 36 adjustment clicks is 21 more clicks than the 15 clicks that the SLR has. The only thing I'm really worried about is the material. Does anyone know anything about BT-6/VT-6 titanium in comparison to grade 5?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:13:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#29]
I fit a titanium .750" SLR gasblock in a V7 rail with only flattening the SLR domed leaf spring screw head but not enough it could not still accept a hex head (followed by cold blueing the bare metal) and very minor sanding of the inside of the one rail strut where the bolt touched for about an inch. I just removed the pointed inner corner removing about 1/3 of the thickness on that part followed aluminum black. Now there is zero contact and noone ever notices that looks at it. If you have a .625" SLR Ti gasblock it should fit even easier. This is set screw up course, clamp on is never going to work. Since .750" is light profile for .308 I assume that is what you have?
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By yrs:
Taccom 2-piece vs. empty carbine buffer shell

For my lightweight build, I'm debating whether to get the Taccom 2-piece buffer or just go with an empty carbine buffer shell. After taking out the weights, I measured my empty buffer shell to be 0.9 oz. The Taccom 2-piece buffer is 1.1 oz. So, is the Taccom buffer better? I don't know how does this 2-piece buffer work differently than the normal one buffer unit. Has anyone tried both set up and found Taccom to be tangibly better?
View Quote

Well the Taccom reciprocating mass is only .6 oz vs .9 oz. so it could theoretically tune with less gas and .3oz less total reciprocating weight.  Both are too light for my taste so I cannot comment on function.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#31]
Originally Posted By DevL:

Well the Taccom reciprocating mass is only .6 oz vs .9 oz. so it could theoretically tune with less gas and .3oz less total reciprocating weight.  Both are too light for my taste so I cannot comment on function.
View Quote

I have about 5 of the Taccom 2 piece buffers.  I couldn't get them to work 100% on any of my builds.  I really tried. Instead I replaced 2 of my builds with Taccom 223 3-stage buffer. Taccom says it's 1.5oz but I weighed them and they weigh 1.9oz. This honestly is the best way I've found to lighten recoil.  It did it quite a bit actually, kept weight down, and got my reliability where I wanted it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#32]
Originally Posted By DevL:
I fit a titanium .750" SLR gasblock in a V7 rail with only flattening the SLR domed leaf spring screw head but not enough it could not still accept a hex head (followed by cold blueing the bare metal) and very minor sanding of the inside of the one rail strut where the bolt touched for about an inch. I just removed the pointed inner corner removing about 1/3 of the thickness on that part followed aluminum black. Now there is zero contact and noone ever notices that looks at it. If you have a .625" SLR Ti gasblock it should fit even easier. This is set screw up course, clamp on is never going to work. Since .750" is light profile for .308 I assume that is what you have?
View Quote

POF Rogue is a 0.750 profile. It's a lightweight AR15 chambered in .308.  I could theoretically also buy revolution piston carrier, SupArms piston kit, and then modify the piston rod slightly to fit the striking on the POF Rev carrier. SA carrier won't accommodate .308/7.62

I could get that other gas block (RGB-01), as it looks like the horizontal fits the ID of the GB just fine, the height is about 0.04" too tall, which is fine for the gas block, slightly dremelling the top/bottom or using fine grit sandpaper to remove that much material isn't going to effect durability or function. I'm just worried about the Russian material standard that I know nothing about.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Reconfigured my first LW build a little. I wasn't happy with the Sabertube stock or the red dot I had on it so did some carbon fiber furniture and a LPVO.
So far I really like it.

Weight is 3.6 lbs w/o scope and 4.39 with.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0d67vczf89v3z9/Photo%20Jul%2020%2C%202%2045%2049%20PM.jpg?raw=1
View Quote
Nice!  I just used the same optic . Anyone have an assembled lower weight with an M16A1 stock?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By lafmedic1:
Nice!  I just used the same optic . Anyone have an assembled lower weight with an M16A1 stock?
View Quote

All i have is a shorty A1 stock... that was hard as hell to find
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 2:35:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: safes2small] [#36]
Attachment Attached File

4# 10.6 oz my red dot is not here yet...

4# 0.2 oz without the can

Fostech upper and lower, Faxon pencil barrel, lots of 2A and V7 parts, brownells LW bcg, Trek T can....

Edit: The ff tube is Clark Custom carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By safes2small:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/102380/B80EFE05-F811-4C68-87D8-1137B363D0E3_jpe-1558906.JPG

4# 10.6 oz my red dot is not here yet...

4# 0.2 oz without the can

Fostech upper and lower, Faxon pencil barrel, lots of 2A and V7 parts, brownells LW bcg, Trek T can....
View Quote

Nice build! What red dot are you going with?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Nice build! What red dot are you going with?
View Quote

I have a Sightmark Mini Shot M spec. Cracked the glass and sent it in for repair. While it was out the stamp came in. If I remember right it’s about 3 oz with the AR riser.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Idk if anyone saw, but iron city now sells titanium parts including linear comps, cam pins, etc. All in different finishes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks like I have some PWD work to do...
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:52:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#41]
So this is an interesting find. It's probably the lowest profile gas block I've ever seen and is one of the only low profile lightweight gas blocks that can comfortably fit under a V7 handguard (my sentry 7 ti didn't fit and moa 0.750 didn't fit) . 1.02 oz on my scale with the screws and has 36 adjustments. The detent is outside of the gas block so it won't get super dirty. When closed, there's still some gas so it doesn't have a "full closed" 100% suppression but this is pretty neat to me. It uses a straight gas tube.  It all comes apart easily too. Took about a month and a half to get to me.

https://en.zenitco.ru/catalog/%20AR-15%20upgrade/gas-block/gas-block-rgb-1-0-750/

Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:36:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brahmzy] [#42]
^^^ I’ve got all Ti SLR blocks (clamp and set screw) under V7 556 and 308 hyper lights (like 5 or 6 of em) - they all fit great.
Clamp on the .625, set screw on the .750.

What problem are you having with fitment?
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:44:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#43]
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:
^^^ I’ve got all Ti SLR blocks (clamp and set screw) under V7 556 and 308 hyper lights (like 5 or 6 of em) - they all fit great.
Clamp on the .625, set screw on the .750.

What problem are you having with fitment?
View Quote

The clamp on Sentry 7 won't fit under the V7 Enlightened handguard. The leaf spring area touches the side of the handguard just slightly . The Superlative Arms piston kit also fits snug, but it doesn't touch.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#44]

The clamp on Sentry 7 won't fit under the V7 Enlightened handguard. The leaf spring area touches the side of the handguard just slightly . The Superlative Arms piston kit also fits snug, but it doesn't touch.
View Quote

Yeah, I don't use the clamp-ons on the .750 barrels (Except for the 308), but I have no issues of touching the upper inner side of the hyper lights.  Actually have great clearance on all of them.  Blocks must be absolutely in the correct position though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 12:13:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#45]
So I noticed that. Irony City Rifles also has magnesium parts like handguard, being 6063 AL. JL Billet as well. 5.8oz for 17" with mounting hardware seems bold.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Selling some of my favorite lightweight stuff. One of the lightest trigger setups you can get!

Upper
Trigger, lower stuff

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Anyone checkout Airborne Arms? They have a few lightweight products. Check out that titanium gas block. .48 oz. https://airbornearmsllc.com/product/aa-featherweight-gas-block-titanium/
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone checkout Airborne Arms? They have a few lightweight products. Check out that titanium gas block. .48 oz. https://airbornearmsllc.com/product/aa-featherweight-gas-block-titanium/
View Quote

Wow, that’s light. I totally think SLR could further lighten their TI AGBs. Way too much material that doesn’t need to be there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:

Wow, that’s light. I totally think SLR could further lighten their TI AGBs. Way too much material that doesn’t need to be there.
View Quote

Lately the innovation front for lightweight has been super slow, probably because companies are trying to keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got my new frontier armory polymer LPK in, so the new ultralighter build is kicking off.  I have fostech receivers and the faxon 14.5" pencil barrel, with the SAS Ti suppressor mount.  Here we go!
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top