Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2005 11:29:35 PM EDT
just curious, why are most lights mounted on the right side of the rifle? The way i see it, isn't that where the rifle is going to hit more contact points, like door jams, and other obstructions and stuff? Just curious that's all
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:32:21 AM EDT
[#1]
From a non-tape switch kit, that's usually where a right handed shooters thumb is?
Doesn't dig into your hip when not wearing full gear?
Barrel mounted sling interference?
Maybe a slight FOV advantage?

Just put it where it works for you...
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:35:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know how you can predict that you're only going to get to enter a door from the right-hand side, and therefore only hit a light mounted on the right-hand side.

If you don't have a tape-switch and rely on the thumb of your support hand to activate the tailcap, then the side that you mount the light on becomes important.  It is determined by which side you hold your thumb on.  If you're used to shooting while holding the front of the magazine well then you'll likely hold your thumb on the same side as your support hand and should mount the light on that same side.  If you cross your thumb under, you'll mount it on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Makes low-shots over obsticles, when you need to sight down the left-side of the firearm (down the barrel) easier.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#4]
ah touche! it makes sense now
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree put it where it works for you. I shoot with the "Fonzie" grip. Left hand on the grip, thumb up in the traditional "Fonzie" pose. As in thumb up.

In that position the light will work on either side. But I still - for now - run the light on the right. It prevents me from turning it on by mistake. I do have to shift my grip to activate the light, but its really no big deal.

I've tried it on both sides, and either works. So use what works best for you.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm right handed. All the choke points I go to in my house protect my body, with my right side slighty exposed. Putting the light on the right is more effective.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm right handed. All the choke points I go to in my house protect my body, with my right side slighty exposed. Putting the light on the right is more effective.

+1

Im right handed too and when rolling out from concealment from the right side its get the light out there were if it were under or to the left of the rifle it would be partially obscured by what ever I was behind.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I shoot with the "Fonzie" grip. Left hand on the grip, thumb up in the traditional "Fonzie" pose. As in thumb up.

Aaaaaaayyyyyyy!!!      

That's most comfortable for me also, but I like running the M900 with a secondary backup on the right side a'la Fonzie thumb.   I'm right handed.    Having the main (or if you only run one light) straight down is better as it won't get blocked when transitioning to the weak side.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Tried it like this once.. works really well, just don't like the mount.

Pentagon X3-HA in a Vikings Tactics mount...

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/m4_magpul_lt_open_horizontal.sized.jpg

You must have some long thumbs!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:17:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Put one on BOTH sides!

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
just curious, why are most lights mounted on the right side of the rifle? The way i see it, isn't that where the rifle is going to hit more contact points, like door jams, and other obstructions and stuff? Just curious that's all

Quite simply, it is to prevent blocking of the field of vision.  If you mount the light on the left hand side, you will block your view (assuming you shoot the rifle right handed).  I personally feel that the best position to locate the light is at 4-5 o'clock.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/m4_magpul_lt_open_horizontal.sized.jpg

You must have some long thumbs!

Not really..... You'd be surprised how easy it is to reach in the Fonzie position......

(I think I just spawned a new sig line!)
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Mine is on the left side, but, I happen to be left handed.

I like how all my friends who pick up my rifle have troubles reaching the pentagon momentary push on.  Sometimes it's nice to be different...

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Put one on BOTH sides!

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=2597&iGalleryUnq=924&iImageUnq=33731

If you are going to mount two lights it's probably better to mount two of the same kind of lights.  That way you don't have to mess with different muscle memory issues.  

Personally I don't see the need to mount two lights on a rifle.  My rifle is bulky and has almost too much stuff as it is(but not quite!!).  I carry extra batteries in the VLTOR buttstock and carry a handheld Surefire (8NX).  I also am going to have a light mounted on my pistol soon.  I use my stuff in law enforcement.  In understand the rational behind it but don't see the need.  I mount the light low and to the right.  There is an occasional time when clearing a building that I wish that I had it mounted at the bottom but there is no way that I can do it comfortably without a tape switch light and I HATE tape switches.  

A couple things to think about...
What are you going to do when you are searching a house and have to open a door by yourself?  That's why I have the click switch because I can turn it on full time and then index my rifle and open the door.  That way I don't have to open the door and look into a dark room.  You can't do that with a tape switch unless you have one of the new Surefire switches and I don't like them because they are too complicated.  
PRACTICE with your setup at night.  I see many people getting a system worked out for them and then as soon as they go out and shoot in the dark they discover that the technique  they had been training with simply didn't work after dark.  The only way that you can know if it works is to practice.

YMMV

Here's my rifle:

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#17]

I am having issues getting my thumb to the pushbutton switch sometimes.  It is usually when I am in some abnormal position and my left elbow is slightly out, which pulls my thumb down.

I need an offset mount that will work w/ a M95 and M96 that puts the light down near my thumb AND close to the rail.  I dont like the ones that stick out.  I want the light to sit right on the rail.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I use the YHM offset mount to get it closer to the foregrip.  I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am having issues getting my thumb to the pushbutton switch sometimes.  It is usually when I am in some abnormal position and my left elbow is slightly out, which pulls my thumb down.

I need an offset mount that will work w/ a M95 and M96 that puts the light down near my thumb AND close to the rail.  I dont like the ones that stick out.  I want the light to sit right on the rail.  

We have the LaRaue offset mounts -

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/315352/lights1065.jpg

And the YHM offset mounts -

img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/315352/lights290.jpg

Both will help you get your M95x/96x in closer for a more comfortable reach.

What lights will the LaRue work with?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top