Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2006 3:53:13 AM EDT
What is the lightest bullet that will stabilize properly through a 14"-16" 1/9 twist barrel (for .224" bullets)?
20-30 gr,30-40 gr, 45 gr?

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the lightest bullet that will stabilize properly through a 14"-16" 1/9 twist barrel (for .224" bullets)?
20-30 gr,30-40 gr, 45 gr?

What do you mean "properly stabilize"?  Longer bullets fail to be stabilized in slow twists.... not the other way around.  The other direction, too light of a bullet, is affect by what some call "overstabilization"  In my experience, that is pretty much a myth.  You didnt mention the caliber, so I am assuming you mean .223.

Velocity is a factor in this, as well, so it isn't just bullet weight/length.  My experience has been, 1/9 has no issue shooting ANY commercial .223 load (under 70 grains), the lightest of which I have seen is the 40gr VMAX and Noslers.

If the bullet doesnt fly apart, it will likely shoot well.  I have shot 45 grainers in my 1:8 twist and it groups them VERY well.  I have read that the super thin jacketed 40gr noslers will fly apart when they are fired in a 1:7, but havent seen it.

I think this is simply a function of how thin the jacket is, and how fast you push a light projectile.  In a 1:9, I imagine you could go even lihgter than 40gr if you wanted to.... but I havent heard of anyone using a lighter bullet than that in .223 rem.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:16:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I did mention the .224" sized bullets (same bullets you would use in .223 Remington). They will be used in 5.7x28 cartridges, but I have heard of keyholing when using 28 grain bullets through a 16" 1/9 twist barrel (hitting targets up to 100 yd sideways). These bullets are sort of different: they have a large hollow void in the tip and have an aluminum core.

Based on what I have read in the range reports, it seems like 28 grain bullets do not stabilize well through the 1/9 twist barrels (velocities aren't that high, about 2300 fps).

40 grain Hornady V-max were developed particularly for sporting use in the 5.7x28, but since we can also buy the 28 grain stuff, I just wanted to know if there was any particular reason why it would not stabilize or overstabilize? The weapon is a P90 / PS90, which uses a .224" bore (same style as the AR-15), 6 grooves, 1/9 right hand twist, in 16" length (not unlike the AR-15).
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top