Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 8:35:13 PM EDT
Ok guys, here's the contest. Bushmaster's"superlight" model weighs in at 5.80 pounds. Normally, whatever they can do, you can do better (with all due respect to a great company). What I want to know is what the lightest AR in existance is. I can accept the polymer lowers, but I'd like to see some conventional guns as well. While we're on the subject, does anybody know how much weight can or cannot be saved by "going plastic"? Obviously the gun must be in complete useable condition, though I don't think Bushmaster was counting the magazing or ammo in their stat, so we won't either. As far as a prize goes... don't you subscribe to the whole "job well done thing"? Good luck (thanks)!Edited for grammer
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll let you know how light mine is as soon as the barrel comes in. To get the lightest possible, you have to put it together yourself and carbon fiber will be your friend.

Oh, the Bushy Carbon 15's are around 4lbs.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#2]
There was a member on here when I first joined(I cant rember the name)that used Vulcan Composit  Recievers,ultra light barrel,skelton stock,carbon fiber FF.ETC that weighed in under
4 lbs
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
my current project is:
Bushmaster CF upper(no forward assist/dust cover),
8oz CF FF Tube,
14.5" ABS CF barrel,
CAV ARMS MKII lower.

I waiting for the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#4]
well if I drill holes in my HG and stock I bet I could lose a little weight on my carbon. Wonder how much a 10.5 in. barrel SBR in carbon would weight?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#5]
There's an even better way to save weight than the polymer lower...

The Denim lower!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The Denim lower!

As in these?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Denim lower!

As in these?
www.stoneisland.co.uk/clothes/mens-jeans.jpg

WIZZO

yep.  Someone posted a computer generated pic of one not too long ago.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well if I drill holes in my HG and stock I bet I could lose a little weight on my carbon. Wonder how much a 10.5 in. barrel SBR in carbon would weight?

Shit, great idea. Didnt even think about drilling holes in my FF. Need to find a drill press.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I was talking to Tim at JP Enterprises yesterday and he was telling me that he did a barrel all the way down at 1/2" diameter under the handguards and out in front of the gas block.
Said the whole rifle weighed in at about 5lbs WITH an old 3X weaver scope mounted on it.
It's his coyote rifle.

Randall Rausch
www.ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
my current project is:
8oz CF FF Tube,
14.5" ABS CF barrel,
CAV ARMS MKII lower.

That sounds nice gplg!  I thought the ABS CF barrels wont work with Bushmasters CF uppers due to differences in the barrel extension, but I may be wrong.  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my current project is:
8oz CF FF Tube,
14.5" ABS CF barrel,
CAV ARMS MKII lower.

That sounds nice gplg!  I thought the ABS CF barrels wont work with Bushmasters CF uppers due to differences in the barrel extension, but I may be wrong.  Any thoughts?

whered you hear that from? News to me. I'll have to ask Tom from MGI about that.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top