What's the lightest AR that the members of AR15.com? How light
can you REALLY go with an AR?

THanks,
AoD
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking gun......Is that a Bushmaster ULW barrel? Who makes the handguard?

Thanks,

AoD
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Colt 6520 Govt Model that weighs just a little over 5 pounds

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Here' s mine, or actually my wifes.  I have no idea what it weighs, but I think any weapon needs to have ammo factored into its weight.  With either a 20 or 30 round mag, I still think most of us will carry our ARs with something inserted in the mag well.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#7]
New guy-Thanks,  I've actually just got the Hiperform, I'm waiting for my BM ULW 16" barrel to assemble it. You said that "I did quite a bit to lighten it up over a standard gun " Any tips for making a super light weight?

Stickman- THat's a nice looking rifle.....plus the background for the pic is cool...I've had that one saved on my harddrive, looks good.

I'm thinking of using a shaved FSB, the Hiperform, an RRA Entry stock and JP reddot sight.....anybody know if the JP will hold up?

Thanks,
AoD
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Stickman, I just add 17 ounces to the weight of the unloaded firearm.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#9]
CJ,

I know, but its like saying your car will go 140, then mentioning that its only if its falling off a cliff.  Weight means total weight to me, that includes optics, ammo, sling, and whatever else you would carry on it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
CJ,

I know, but its like saying your car will go 140, then mentioning that its only if its falling off a cliff.  Weight means total weight to me, that includes optics, ammo, sling, and whatever else you would carry on it.

Yes, but the ammo weight is a given. It's going to apply to everyone.
You are right about optics, etc, but by going with only rifle weight, you are comparing apples to apples. I only use plain ARs. I'm interested in how light a rifle can be built. What anyone in particular uses for an optic is immaterial, to me. I'm only interested in the rifle.
When someone asks how much a rifle weighs, it's only the weight of the rifle that should be considered. When someone asks how much your load weighs, then you factor in the extras.
The rest of the stuff, you can factor in as it applies to you.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:57:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Is the BM lightweight barrel lighter than other lightweight barrels?

I handled the BM Superlight in the store a couple months ago, and it seems from memory that it was lighter than the J&T Lightweight Kit that I just built.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:17:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
CJ,

Very true.

My truck will do 140 in a straight line
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#13]
You can drop just over a half a pound by using an aluminum bolt carrier. I have a Bushy lower cheap CAR stock Colt M16 upper receiver.  With a Bushy superlight barrel assembly with the aluminum carrier and a Bushy bolt that weighs four pounds six ounces without a mag.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top