Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2005 7:16:55 PM EDT
Tried this in ar discussions, guess nobody knows.[%|

]This is kind of a follow on question after the 15 minute trigger job and light primer strike threads I've seen lately. I'm wondering if anybody can give me some experienced-based advice on the need to have a lighter hammer IF the hammer/trigger spring rates have been reduced.

And, if it's a good idea, any reason not to dremel away instead of buying the low-mass hammers (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7590) out there?

Thanks in advance.
Gary
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Contact ISMI. They make chrome silicon springs that lighten the trigger pull by a few pounds, depending on the fit of you lower parts. I havnt installed my set yet. They are supposed to be 100% reliable with no light hits
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, got the springs (JP), just wanted to know if a lighter hammer wouild improve reliability.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks, got the springs (JP), just wanted to know if a lighter hammer wouild improve reliability.

I believe its like gambling when one alters an AR-15's hammer/trigger spring tension...

My experiences with lighter springs has convinced me to always use a low mass high speed hammer to help prevent light primer strikes... I have tried the 15 minute trigger job and also tried yellow springs and have found that with several types of ammo, due to lowering spring tension, will occasionally fail to fire...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
This is one of those "hold my beer" moments.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, hold the beer, but spill  the beans

ETA: I've done the 15 min job on my lower w/ DPMS LPK, got the pull down to a consistent 4.75 lbs. I've run M193 , Radway Green, and BH blue box without problems,  (at least no light strikes), but figured if the lighter hammer improved reliability and shortened up the lock time, why not? Any downside?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok, hold the beer, but spill  the beans

ETA: I've done the 15 min job on my lower w/ DPMS LPK, got the pull down to a consistent 4.75 lbs. I've run M193 , Radway Green, and BH blue box without problems,  (at least no light strikes), but figured if the lighter hammer improved reliability and shortened up the lock time, why not? Any downside?

My personal opinion, the only downside would be NOT to use a low mass hammer...

If you have an old spare hammer laying around, you can Dremel it to create your own, it would be just the same as a high dollar low mass trigger...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is one of those "hold my beer" moments.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice shootersden. Hammer and dremel standing by.
Looks like trying it is the answer to the question, although I may wait 'til I find some rounds that don't pop- something about not fixing it if it ain't broke, ya know.....
Any input from beer holders welcome, if you can set it down for a minute.

ETA: Anybody know how much a low mass hammer weighs?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I install JP triggers and springs in all of my ARs with the exception of duty rifles.  I still use the JP trigger and trigger spring but with a mil spec hammer spring.  The only FTFs I've had were with .22 lr uppers and then a lightened hammer (dremeled off the hammer spur) solved the problem.  The instructions that come with a JP trigger advise you to cut off the hammer spur when using lighter springs to increase hammer strike force.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks RJK. Exactly the info I'm seeking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top