Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2009 10:19:25 AM EDT
My m261 is acting up after 1000's of rounds of relatively trouble free use.  I'm starting to get lots of light primer strikes with it and it's pissing me off.  I've tried several different brands of ammo, from Remmington bulk packs (the WallyWorld ones) to CCI minimags.  I am at a loss.  I've cleaned it, talked to it, cursed it, even tried it in another rifle...nothing.

What does the "All Learned" forum recommend?

Thanks,
KA

Oh, it started after I got some BDM mags...that couldn't be an issue...could it?

ka
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, thought there was more of a 261 following here

ka
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#2]
How well lubed is the adapter?  My M261 likes to be not-quite-wet around the firing pin.  You could also check for burs on the hammer end of the pin.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How well lubed is the adapter?  My M261 likes to be not-quite-wet around the firing pin.  You could also check for burs on the hammer end of the pin.

It was wet to the point of being WET.  I tried it dry, I tried it with another lower.  I detail stripped the 261 and cleaned the gunk out of it.  It's still hitting light.  

What's the deal with the firing pin mod?  I've seen referrences to it, but dont know exactally what is involved.  I have searched but must not be searching properly coz I can't find anything.

At this point, all help is appreciated.  My shooting needs are strong...my failure drills are current, I've got Tap Rack Ready down pretty well.

HELP

ka

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:40:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an Oly dedicated 22 upper (M261).  I had issues with it not feeding properly and having too many fail to fires (light primer strikes).  I also have BDM mags. It is hard to explain with out being able to draw it, but here goes.  The flat part in front of the feed lips (where the top of the mag makes the corner to go down the front side) needs to be filed down just a very small amount.  I used a fine flat file and took just a couple of swipes to remove a VERY small amount of material.  Test and repeat if necessary.  I also smoothed up the feed ramp portion of the mag just a little as well using a round file. It seems to have cured my problem.  It runs about 95% or better now, not withstanding getting crappy primer mix in some rounds.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
How much firing pin protrusion do you have ? I know that the bolts are very soft so you may have some peening somewhere that is restricting the FP's forward travel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll have to measure it.  It does not feel like it is binding when I push it with a finger.  

Who made the -261 anyway?  What's the history and did it come out Pre-Ciener/Atcheson or Post?

thanks for the help guys

KA
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#7]
If I am not mistaken, the military came out with it as a cheap training aid for the troups.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I am not mistaken, the military came out with it as a cheap training aid for the troups.

I understand that, I am wondering who made them and what was the time-frame.  Where they ever offered commerically?  etc.

ka

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that, I am wondering who made them and what was the time-frame.  Where they ever offered commerically?  etc.

ka

The TM is dated September, 1980, so they've been around for a LONG time.  There's no CAGE code on mine, do I can't tell who made it, but the codes in the manual (for the major parts, anyway) cross to Rock Island Arsenal.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top