Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2004 4:13:17 PM EDT
I was wondering about how many rounds you can put through an AR-15 type weapon in its life time before it needs majer work or the aluminum upper & lower crack? As for the barrel, I don't care about accerasy but safe opperation, like how long before head space is out of spec. I know that the crapy M-16s I used in the U.S.C.G. looked like they had been shot a few million times. We were still useing A1s that may very well have been in nam! ( That was as of 1998). Does any one have any ideas or facts on this?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I know for sure that I couldnt wear out a cheap ass Oly A2 , and believe me I tried .
The only thing I replaced were the bolt springs , Pin retainer and a set of gas rings and they were
not broken when I did it .

Last I heard it was still going bang when asked to .  It has to be near or over 100K rounds  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Jesus. You would need to, like, drive a Hummer over the thing to crack the lowers. Either that or have a faulty round of ammunition KB in your chamber.

These things are a lot tougher than you give them credit for.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was wondering about how many rounds you can put through an AR-15 type weapon in its life time before it needs majer work or the aluminum upper & lower crack? As for the barrel, I don't care about accerasy but safe opperation, like how long before head space is out of spec. I know that the crapy M-16s I used in the U.S.C.G. looked like they had been shot a few million times. We were still useing A1s that may very well have been in nam! ( That was as of 1998). Does any one have any ideas or facts on this?

Taken care of.. They could last longer than you....
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
or soak them in simple green for 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
What does Simplegreen do anyways?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Simple Green is used to clean everything. We use it for our dive gear. I'm not too sure what it would do to a rifle that has been soaked for two weeks?  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The US military is still issuing A1 lowers that have been 'upgraded' with newer uppers...

Aluminum can't rust, and there are less large/significant moving parts than other designs...

The only thing you will 'wear out' on an AR is the gas rings and bbl, and only after severe use (think wearing out piston rings on a car engine)...

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#8]
simple green (not watered down) will eat you reciver.  esp if thir are scrathes on the reciver that go thru the andozing (sp).
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
simple green (not watered down) will eat you reciver.  esp if thir are scrathes on the reciver that go thru the andozing (sp).

Correct, the Army has issued warnings about this both for helicopters and rifles.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top