Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/3/2005 12:20:23 PM EDT
I'm torn between these two scopes:

Leupy MR/T M2 1.5-5x20mm w/ SPR

SPR reticle

OR

1.1-4x26 CRT illuminated Tactical Scope, CQB reticle

The IOR is a little less money and has a larger objective lens and wider FOV and is closer to a true 1x.  I think the reticle might be better at the close end as well.  The Leupy has a bit more magnification on the long end and the reticle might be better on the long end too.  All opinions, thoughts, and snide comments welcome!h,

IOR                    vs.                    Leupy
Magnification                               1.1-4x                   vs.                  1.5-4.5x
Objective diameter                       26mm                   vs.                  20mm
Field of view at 100 yards          80-25 feet              vs.              65.7 - 23.7 feet
Exit pupil diameter                  23.6 - 6.5mm             vs.             13.3 – 4.0
Eye relief                                   3.75 inches               vs.                4.4 – 3.6
Diopter adjustment                   -4 to +4 DPT             vs.                       ?
Reticle adjustment range             80 MOA                 vs.                 80 MOA
Click adjustment                         1/2 MOA                 vs.                 1/2 MOA
Tube diameter                               30mm                    vs.                   30mm
Length                                        10.5 inches              vs.                 9.4inches
Weight                                            15 oz                   vs.                      15oz
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
personal preference, leupold
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#2]
tag.. trying to decide on a low power variable myself and these 2 are on the top of the list
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
tag.. trying to decide on a low power variable myself and these 2 are on the top of the list

My list as well.

The reticle on the IOR is whats holding me back, wish it had the SPR.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Anoyone know what the battery life on the mister T is?

(MR/T rather)

I pity th' foo who gets painted with that reticle out to 500
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had the Leupold for a week and had it out to the range twice; I like it better than any other optic I've ever used, including the big ACOGs, Aimpoints, Eotechs, CQ/T, and an MR/T 3x9.  I'm as fast at close range as with an Aimpoint, and I like the reticle at 200yd better than a mil-dot.  I haven't seen any of the other low power variables, but I'm very happy with what I have.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Leupolds are nice no doubt.

My brother has an IOR  1.1x4 CRT on a FAL. We were out shooting, it was on the back of the golf cart, unsecured. Going out to check targets, we were going as fast as the cart would go, hit a bump, it fell off. A couple scratches, otherwise no damage.

IOR
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:46:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Which of the 2 reticles offers the best accuracy for longer ranges?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#8]
For me, customer service is the tie breaker.  If Leupold won't fix it under warranty, their custom shop will rebuild whatever part of the scope you are willing to pay for.  IOR apparently has shoddy customer service, and many manufacturers won't rebuild their own scopes.

I learned my lesson after damaging two scopes (my fault).  I had Leupold replace the tube on theirs.  The Bausch & Lomb/Bushnell scope was a write off, as apparently they don't rebuild their optics.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my IOR but I have not tried the Leupy so I can't compare them.

Paul
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Leupy MR/T M2 1.5-5x20mm w/ SPR is theone Im looking at.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#11]
After owning the IOR (and consequently selling it), I would go with the Leupold.  I found the IOR CQB Reticle a bit "bizzy" for me.  The IOR has shorter eye relief which is better for the AR platform, but the rear objective is huge so your choice of rear BUIS is limited.  As for estimating target range, the Leupold reticle wins hands down.  Waranty service, if ever needed, is dominated by Leupold, best in the industry!

Edited for Spelling:  No such word as reat
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the Leupy MR/T M2 1.5-5x20mm w/ SPR mount !
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I have used leupold scopes on my hunting rifles. I leaned my rifle against a tree and it fell over and hit a rock. The tube was badly damaged. I sent it to leupold to be fixed and explained that it was my fault and told them to let me know the repair costs. They sent me a new scope and told me I owed them nothing. That is why I will always buy from them. As far as the other scopes you are referring too, there is an article in the Guns And Ammo Book Of The AR15 that is on sale now. It covers the leupold,ior,horus,meopta,and trijicon scopes.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I had the IOR and I really liked but I needed more magnification so I got the IOR 2-12x32.  you should give it a look also. The IOR 1-4 was very good and the reticle is designed more for cqb, but it is pretty good up to 300 yards.  I zeroed it at 100 yards and then used the lines underneath for bullet drop.  When I shot at the 25 yard target, I used the first line under the dot and it was dead on.  The only thing I didn't like wa that the illumination didn't work outside in the daytime that well.  But after talking to a lot of people some of the other scopes are the same.  
My friend had the Leupold and the lines were a bit small for CQB for me.  And the bullet drop lines were not in 100 yard incraments.  
In my opinion, if I absolutely had to get a 1-4, I would get a Schmidt & Bender short dot.  But you should definitely check out the IOR 2-12X32.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I went with the Leupold with a Larue mount. I have no experience with a Aimpoint/Eotech. I felt it was fast on target and follow-up shot seemed easy. Shooting with both eyes open at 25 yards was not a problem. Opened it up to 4.5x and I think long range hits would be easy. I do think the reticle could be a little thinker. I could see it getting lost if you don't have the illumination on. Price was right also, $640 to for the scope, $195 for the mount.

My rig is a Bushmaster chromed lined 1/9 16" free floated with a DD tube.(might be going to a sst barrel in the near future.)

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Where did you find the Loopy for $640.00?  Inquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Where did you find the Loopy for $640.00?  Inquiring minds want to know!

When I was looking for a scope and asking the same questions as have been posted here someone posted the answers. He happened to work for Leupold. I basically got the scope at his price. I am not even sure if he posts here anymore.

I will not post his contact info here, but if you IM me I will send it to you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had both.  It's hard to say.  

The Leupold is smaller and looks more rugged and has BDC knobs.  The LEupold lit reticle is closer to night vision compatible than IOR as Ior's is a no go with night vision.  

The IOR has a wider field and probably a better reticle design (although I think the horseshoe donut thing crowds the reticle), but the IOR glass has a strange amber/light yellowish tint compared to Leupold so I like the more clear colors through Leupold.  

Its really a toss up but I chose IOR just because a bigger obj for night vision and wider field and closer to 1 power were important.  Its longer and I can't do anything about that but if I keep it it will be going to Tom Sawyer for laser eteched BDC markings at some point if he can do it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top