Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/10/2003 11:38:18 AM EDT
Ok, after some research I'm leaning towards getting a Vari-III 4.5-14X40 AO Matte for my rifle. My question is, what advantage does getting the Tactical with the extended Target adjustments really give me? Is it worth paying the few extra bucks to get it or is it a waste of money.

I haven't found anyone with bad things to say about Leupold scopes, but has anyone had problems with this particular model? Model # 53543

Thanks,
Troy

Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:11:25 PM EDT
I have a similar model to what you want to get. I have the side focus knob and target turrets. I doubt there really is a need for the turret adjustable knobs for the majority of most uses but they look cool and are easy to adjust. You only really need them if you plan to shoot at a wide range of distances. You will like the scope and the warranty offered by Leupold is superb. I'm sure someone out there has had to use the warranty but I've never met or heard of anyone who has needed to use it. I would go with the target turrets because they are easy to adjust and no screwdrivers are required.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:32:38 PM EDT
RockRivr1- The tactical will get you the target knobs, the black ring (rather than the gold), and the option of a mil-dot reticle. The scope that ColtRifle is referring to is the 4.5-14x50 LR Tactical (which now comes with M1 style adrjustment - more aggressive knobs, but no cover). This has a 30mm tube as well (equals more adjustment). The scope you are referring to has an AO to adjust the parallax rather than the side focus. The target knobs are useful when shooting multiple distances. You can get blank knobs from Leupold and have Kenton Industries engrave them for you for your load. So, you look up at the knob, change it to the distance you are wanting to shoot, aim as usual, and pull the trigger. Makes it convenient. As for our warranty (I work for Leupold), we warranty our scopes forever. If you have the scope, it is warrantied against any mfg. defects. And our normal turnaround time is about one week. BUT, let's say you have a shoot in two days, send it next day air, we'll fix it that day, and ship it next day air back (granted that you called us and told us what happened and that you need this done ASAP). We do everything we can for our customers. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:37:28 PM EDT
I have a question for you, then - I just got a Vari-X III M3 Long Range illuminated Mil-Dot...I don't see any way to attach a lens hood, and I HATE those Tenebraex ARDs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:57:31 PM EDT
Depends on the year it was made... But being illuminated it should be the newer lockring... Do you see threads close to the end? It should have them... And that scope will use the Mark IV sunshade, not the standard 40mm sunshade. Part number 42420, which you have to order direct through us. Don't know the pricing... You will have to call our technical service at 503-526-1400.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:03:03 PM EDT
[url]premierreticles.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:03:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dfahunter: RockRivr1- The tactical will get you the target knobs, the black ring (rather than the gold), and the option of a mil-dot reticle. The scope that ColtRifle is referring to is the 4.5-14x50 LR Tactical (which now comes with M1 style adrjustment - more aggressive knobs, but no cover). This has a 30mm tube as well (equals more adjustment). The scope you are referring to has an AO to adjust the parallax rather than the side focus. The target knobs are useful when shooting multiple distances. You can get blank knobs from Leupold and have Kenton Industries engrave them for you for your load. So, you look up at the knob, change it to the distance you are wanting to shoot, aim as usual, and pull the trigger. Makes it convenient. As for our warranty (I work for Leupold), we warranty our scopes forever. If you have the scope, it is warrantied against any mfg. defects. And our normal turnaround time is about one week. BUT, let's say you have a shoot in two days, send it next day air, we'll fix it that day, and ship it next day air back (granted that you called us and told us what happened and that you need this done ASAP). We do everything we can for our customers. Hope this helps.
View Quote
Can I order the knobs off Leupold's web site or do I need to call the number that you mentioned? I got some knobs from a friend who didn't want them and replaced the covered knobs with an older style that he wasn't using for his older Leupold. I really want the larger knobs. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:20:49 PM EDT
ColtRifle, It is $65 to have the M1 knobs installed on your LR scope from Premier Reticles. While it is there I would highly recommend the new Gen II Mil-Dot reticle also. I just purchased a 4.5-14 LR M1 Gen II mil-dot and it is a piece of work. I like the new reticle so much I am going to send off my MK4 M3 to have it installed. IDHunt
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:51:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By IDHunt: ColtRifle, It is $65 to have the M1 knobs installed on your LR scope from Premier Reticles. While it is there I would highly recommend the new Gen II Mil-Dot reticle also. I just purchased a 4.5-14 LR M1 Gen II mil-dot and it is a piece of work. I like the new reticle so much I am going to send off my MK4 M3 to have it installed. IDHunt
View Quote
Thanks. Do you think I can just buy the turrets from them? I'm going to check into the reticle you mentioned. I have the standard duplex reticle and, while I really don't see the need for the mildot reticle for my purposes, it still would be "cool" to have.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:15:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/11/2003 7:31:06 AM EDT by IDHunt]
ColtRifle, They actually have to install them. They disassemble the scope and put them on. The nice thing about Premier Reticles is the Leupold Warranty is still good if they work on your scope. I have heard they know more about Leupold scopes then Leupold does. Here is a pic on the knobs installed. [img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/2694M1.jpg[/img] The Gen-II Mil-Dot is a great reticle. Not only can you range with it, but you can use it for fast hold over for rapid long range shooting. I have places I can hold over on the reticle out to 500 yards while working gongs. Beyond that I take the time and adjust for elevation with the knobs. For precision shooting I use the knobs the whole time. IDHunt
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:09:23 AM EDT
A buddy of mine works for Premier Ret. and there work is top notch...The old man Dick Thomas Worked on Norden bomb sights, so that tells you their experience with optics,Anyway give em a call and ask for Rob,tell em Mike sent ya..............UNDERDOG
Top Top