Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2013 4:04:45 AM EDT
These right here.

Im debating on getting on of these scopes. Cant decide on the 1x-6x  or the 3x-18x. Also cant decide on the TMR, CMR-W, or Mil dot reticle. Im having a tough time deciding what scope to get, but I want the best I can get, in a compact package. Im want to be able to hit targets out to 800-1000yds. This will be for my Mega MaTen build, and I am sparing no expense.

I am looking for a be all end all scope, and would like to know if anyone here has tried these out yet. Im looking for something light weight, compact, and versatile. I was going to stick with a fixed power, but have decided to go ahead and change my stubborn ways and get a variable power.

Spec wise, this seems to fit my bill. I cant find much anything else like it. As always, any suggestions are appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:02:44 AM EDT
Definitely get the 3-18. It's an awesome scope and its very small compared to other similar scopes. I chose the TMR and its my favorite reticle out of any scope I own. It's not cluttered and its way more versatile than just a mildot or the BDC reticles offered.

You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:09:14 AM EDT
Not a direct comparison, but I bought the 2-12x VX6 and love it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:19:14 AM EDT
Choose the TMR it is one of the best reticles out there and this is coming from a NF user.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:31:02 AM EDT
Here is what I'm looking at for my sr-25 EC. http://marchscopes.com/tactical-3-24-x-42-ffp.html

Im in a similar situation, I dont want to make this gun any heavier or bulkier than it has to be.  Other scopes in its class are a lot bigger and a lot heavier.  Ive checked all the reviews and comparisons between the S&B, Premier, USO, and Ziess and they all seem to be very positive.  By now I have looked at everything and it has been kind of annoying.  It seems there are a lot of tradeoffs even when you get into the more expensive glass but the weight and size of most of those are deal breakers.  

Length, 12"
Weight, 22.6 oz.
30mm tube

Heres a review from snipers hide http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-rifle-scopes/112832-review-march-f-3-24-x-42-ffp.html
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:48:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2013 7:34:29 AM EDT by 762AR556]
What mount would be good? I like my scope low, but not sure how low this can go with the 44mm objective. The only ones I have found in 34mm is the ADM mounts. Im new to scopes on ARs, Ive only used irons since I got into ARs. And just used 2 piece mounts on my bolt guns, so Im having a tough time trying to figure out what would be best for me. I gotta do everything by pictures, and I want to get it right the first time, if I can. I was gonna try and everything through SWFA and they have a good return policy. So, if worst comes to worse, Ill have to send a few mounts back to find what I like.

Im getting the PRI Delta forearm, and gonna use the SPR top rail that bolts to the upper, so that will already raise the scope up, so I want the lowest possible mount.

Im gonna go ahead and get the 3-18x scope with the TMR reticle I think. Im still undecided between the TMR and CMR-W, I like both. Should I splurge for the illuminated models, or not?

Thanks for any info guys.

ETA: Im checking out the March F3 now, Im working if Afghanistan right now and internet is super slow. Ill let you know what I think. Thanks for the suggestions

Just checked out the March. Awesome specs, and a good write up on Sniper's hide. Seems like a good scope, but my only problem is its made in Japan. Which there really isnt anything wrong with that, after all, they do make fantastic camera lenses and microscopes. But me, being as picky as I am, want my Mega MaTen to be as All American as possible. But still, is a worth contender for my money. Im gonna do more snooping around on this scope. I dont really need the 24x, Im also wondering how durable it is. I always dream up scenarios where I might drop my rifle, or do something stupid, and I just want something that will take a beating.

But I do appreciate the suggestion, this scope does seem like a really good package, and basically just what Im looking for. It also have the 30mm tube which is easier to find mounts more.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:20:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 762AR556:
These right here.

Im debating on getting on of these scopes. Cant decide on the 1x-6x  or the 3x-18x. Also cant decide on the TMR, CMR-W, or Mil dot reticle. Im having a tough time deciding what scope to get, but I want the best I can get, in a compact package. Im want to be able to hit targets out to 800-1000yds. This will be for my Mega MaTen build, and I am sparing no expense.

I am looking for a be all end all scope, and would like to know if anyone here has tried these out yet. Im looking for something light weight, compact, and versatile. I was going to stick with a fixed power, but have decided to go ahead and change my stubborn ways and get a variable power.

Spec wise, this seems to fit my bill. I cant find much anything else like it. As always, any suggestions are appreciated.
View Quote

You're headed down the right path, but I think the CQBSS w/H27D is the "be all end all" optic.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:16:08 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By G_MAN:

You're headed down the right path, but I think the CQBSS w/H27D is the "be all end all" optic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
These right here.

I get what you are saying but for the OP's purpose (800-1000 yards) the 3-18 is a much better fit. Sure it would be doable with 8x but 18x is so much better.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:21:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2013 10:27:57 AM EDT by TheBigStink]
you cant go wrong with  Larue tactical mounts, also bobro are nice.  the bobro will adjust to different rifles automaticly without a tool.  the larues are just all around good mounts at a reasonable price, they are a site sponsor, you can find a link for them at the top of the page.

they might also have a scope and mount combo which can be a good deal if they have the scope you want
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:11:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RFutch:

I get what you are saying but for the OP's purpose (800-1000 yards) the 3-18 is a much better fit. Sure it would be doable with 8x but 18x is so much better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RFutch:
These right here.

"I want the best I can get" + "sparing no expense" + "Im want to be able to hit targets out to 800-1000yds"  +  "...and versatile"

Yes, 18x will be much better for 800-1000, but looking at his other statements I still think the Mk8 1.1-8 is the way to go. Especially if he's wanting to do any shooting under 25 yards.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 12:59:44 AM EDT
Ok, just checked SWFA, and they sell the CQBSS for $3000, which is fair. But how can they go 2K below MSRP, thats crazy? Anywho, that also fits the bill Im looking for. I really want to be able to look through these scopes before I drop the cash, but no one near where I live actually carries stuff like this. Everyone only stocks the cheap Chinese garbage. With the exception of Nightforce and ACOGs and a few other Leupolds. So, it makes choosing a scope difficult solely on pictures and specs.

Larue has the scope and mount, but not the reticle I want. I want the TMR or CMR-W, either I think would be good for me. But they only have the H58, which seems way to cluttered to me. If they can get the TMR or CMR-W, Ill definitely get their package deal with the mount. Which mount is lower, the LT104-34 or LT111?

Larue doesnt have the CQBSS, either they dont offer it, or its out of stock. I do appreciate the suggestions, and am doing research on all so far. Its gonna be a couple months before I drop the cash on these, because Im still building the rifle. Im getting the Mega 20" barrel, and I also have another upper to use, and am still thinking of what barrel to use for that one. I was thinking of an Obermeyer to make it an SR25 clone, or Krieger, but ill cross that bridge when I get to it.

Im also not gonna be done with my contract here in the sand until next summer. So, I do have time to make my decisions. Now Im torn between the CQBSS, and the Mark 6. Thanks alot dammit

Thanks again guys, I do appreciate the info and suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:37:32 AM EDT
Hit up the hometown section and see if anyone in or around your area might have one of these to check out in person. People love to show of their toys as well as help others out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 4:49:56 AM EDT
If your Mil make sure you go through Leupold's Mil/Fed program. It will save you a ton of money on whatever you choose.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:58:14 AM EDT
Im doing contract work for the government, and am living on military bases. So I dont know if that counts. Some guys here have said they used their CAC Cards to get military discounts on guns and gear before, so I dont know if that will work. Its definitely worth a shot.
Top Top