Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 2:08:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 2:10:27 PM EDT by Dodahdude]
I have a CMMg 18" .223/556  flat top upper with a "F" front sight. On the back sight, I have a Yankee Hill flip up.  I just now bought a new Leupold Mark 4 3X9X40 optic. The upper has a picatinny rail on it already. Now I need a optic rings. But i'm a newbe.  Don't know which way to go. I know I need the mount and rings high enough to see through the front sight. And not too high to where i'm holding the rifle to low. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:26:39 PM EDT
Get the lowest rings you can use without the optic hitting the rifle.  Getting it up above the front sight isn't terribly important, as it's going to be pretty blurry (or disappear) at that magnification level.

Just as a for-example, here are some pictures through my CQ/T, and one showing it's height with a factory mount.

No magnification:

Full (3x) magnification:

Mounting height:

Which mk.4 do you have?  Not a CQ/T I'm guessing, so LR/T?  ER/T?  MR/T?  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:49:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 4:50:52 PM EDT by Dodahdude]
http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Leupold_67160_Mark_AR_3_9X40mm_Mil_Dot_Riflescope_p/lp67160.htm
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:09:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dodahdude:
http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Leupold_67160_Mark_AR_3_9X40mm_Mil_Dot_Riflescope_p/lp67160.htm

Leupold has a guide on their site: http://www.leupold.com/_pdfs/Tact_BaseFit_RingHght.pdf

I think the top one from here is what you'd want, unless you're looking for QD, etc.  Top one in the list, Mk.4 1" medium.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:27:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 5:33:18 PM EDT by Dodahdude]
AllenNH.  That is a nice chart. It will take me a while to go through it. Thanks. I'm new to this site and the AR plateform. AR virgin.........  The scope is the Leupold Mark 4 or Mark AR. 1" inch tube, 3X9X40.  It's not a red dot. More of a sporting scope.  I've seen them on different AR15 around. It is disign around the .223 and 5.56 ballistics.

According to the chart I need the SH or Super High mount. That is based off of the "All AR15 style rifles with flat top Picatinny rail". This info came of the chart. It does not mention the front site tower...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:30:29 PM EDT
AllenNH.  That is a nice chart. It will take me a while to go through it. Thanks. I'm new to this site and the AR plateform. AR virgin.........  The scope is the Leupold Mark 4 or Mark AR. 1" inch tube, 3X9X40.  It's not a red dot. More of a sporting scope.  I've seen them on different AR15 around. It is disign around the .223 and 5.56 ballistics.

Yeah I looked at your original link there and then went hunting @ Leupold's site.  That PDF should get you going in the right direction.

Order the rings from a reputable retailer and you won't have a problem exchanging them if you get the wrong ones.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:34:18 PM EDT
Very good idea. Thanks.

According to the chart I need the SH or Super High mount. That is based off of the "All AR15 style rifles with flat top Picatinny rail". This info came of the chart. It does not mention the front site tower...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:42:46 PM EDT
Very good idea. Thanks.

You can always email or call them as well.

You really only need the high rings to clear the rear sight, but you said your rear is a flip-down BUIS right?  My CQ/T "low-rise" mount clears my BUIS just fine when it's down, though I can't flip it up without removing the CQ/T.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:53:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2011 5:57:20 PM EDT by Dodahdude]
True... I guess I need to get there phone number and call them Monday. We have a Gander Mountain Outlet here. I could always go there and see what they have.  They are pretty tactical.  Thanks alot. Have a nice evening. Oh, PS.  That is a great looking AR you have. Mine looks pretty much like yours.  CMMg lower with Bravo Company insides with a Spikes lower.  What kind of bipod is that? :)
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:00:32 PM EDT
True... I guess I need to get there phone number and call them Monday. We have a Gander Mountain Outlet here. I could always go there and see what they have.  They are pretty tactical.  Thanks alot. Have a nice evening. Oh, PS.  That is a great looking AR you have. Mine looks pretty much like yours.  CMMg lower with Bravo Company insides with a Spikes lower.  What kind of bipod is that? :)

Harris bipod, Hogue grip.  Otherwise it's a 'stock' M&P-15.  Has an ACOG on it now, though I still have the CQ/T.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:55:52 PM EDT
I just put a nikon 3-9x40 on my CMMG with the same set up as yours yesterday using the rock river arms hi-rise cantilever mount and love it.
It is made very well and it clears everything.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:17:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2011 6:19:24 AM EDT by Dodahdude]
Oh cool. I'll look it up. No problems mounting it?  Is there a certain part number of the mount? Have a picture or two?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:59:43 PM EDT
no pics as of now.
there web site is really easy to find stuff.
http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=385
I got the AR0130T for the 1 inch
Not sure if you need the 30mm or the 1 inch.
With the cantelever mount it puts the eye piece right above the rear sight with my Nikon.
Top Top