Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/26/2006 10:44:51 AM EDT
the 57185 is a 8.5-25X 50 varmint reticle

the 57175 is a 6.5-20 x 40 varmint reticle

do you think the 57185 is a little over kill for a 55gr round?

thanks

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're working at distances that need that kind of magnification, you should probably be using heavier low-drag (and low-drift) bullets.  For small varmints the 75 gr Hornady A-Max should work well, but it needs a 1:7 twist to stabilize it properly.  If  you have a 1:9 the Hornady 75 gr Match BTHP is just the ticket.  Either can be run at 2900 fps using RL-15.  The lighter bullets can be run faster, but at 300 yards and beyond the wind drift will be a problem.  The 75s will also carry a lot more energy beyond 200 yards and do a better job on medium-sized varmints.

I find that 20X is as much as I need at 1000 yards when I'm shooting prone with a sling, but if you're shooting off a rest under no-mirage conditions the extra magnification may be of some benefit.  I use the VX-III 6.5-20x50 LR (30 mm tube) to take advantage of the additional windage and elevation.  Any of the scopes we're discussing need to be mounted further forward than can be accomplished by mounting directly to the flat-top (especially in prone).  I use a rail extender that lets me mount the scope 4" further forward using standard-height rings, and it has 20 MOA of elevation built in for long range work.

I'm using Burris Signature Zee rings - they are inexpensive and work well, even though they don't have the macho look many seem to like.  They use a floating plastic bushing to minimize stress on the scope tube and simplify installation, and offset bushings are available.  Bushings with a 0.010" offset are included with 30 mm rings, and 0.010", 0.020" and 0.030" bushings can be purchased for 1" rings.  They're inexpensive and work very well.  I use them on my spacegun to mount a VX-III 6.5-20x50 LRT and have never had a problem with them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
super. i think that the 57175 is just the ticket then. thank you!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top