Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2003 10:29:36 AM EDT
After about 1600 rounds my Preban's 16" gas tube has taken a nice blue color along the length of it.

I'll update with pics tonight when Dad comes home from work with the USB cable for the digital.

I was just wondering what unique hues everyone else's gas tubes have taken
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Number of rounds: Hell, I don't know anymore!

Color: Reddish brown
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I once saw a gas tube on a Commando turn every color in the rainbow.  Of course the front sight got so hot the pins worked out.  Umm...we might have put too many rounds through it too quickly [:D]
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone save the photo that was on the AR15.com homepage of a melted tube from Model-1 sales?  This was around 1996ish..
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 8:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/055491-big.jpg[/img]

[8D]
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.cavalryarms.com/shooting/meltedtube2.JPG[/url]

melted gas tube after thousands and thousands of rounds full auto...then several beta mags at once.
View Quote

COOL!
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Now that's Punk Rock! Your the man!....
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Did the same thing as [b]SinistralRifleman[/b] with two consecutive Beta mags firing 100 round bursts with an SGW M16 and Bushmaster 14.5-inch A2. The gas tube never touched the handguard though, just melted down alongside the barrel. Ken from SAW has it now for an instructional visual.

Sustained rate of fire, what’s that?

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any pictures of the gas tube I ruined but it was a mess when it was all done. While in Basic Training in the Army I was the Platoon RTO. On our final bivouac it rained and rained. All the guys where in there fox holes while I was in the DI's tent warm and dry. At the end of the bivouac they had to get rid of all of the left over blanks, about 6000 rounds worth. My M16A1 was the only one that wasn't plugged up with mud and crap so it got the responsibility to fire off all that brass. The gas tube was bright red and warped along with the barrel. It was awesome to fire all those blanks on full auto. Needless to say I never had to clean that weapon, just turned it into the Armor and walked away. [8D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top