Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2003 6:07:03 PM EDT
I was looking through old pages, and couldn't help notice there were no threads on the Elcan!

I KNOW some of you are using them. I just ordered another one for an AR-10. Personally, the best optics I've seen!

Comments?

Let's hear it Elcan fans!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Great glas, but worst windage and elivation controls since they are the old fashion exposed to the elements type. Very much too heavy.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.pca.state.mn.us/kids/crick2.wav[/url] [:d]

I find the reticle not as good as on the ACOGs, plenty of complaints about its external windage and elevation controls, bulky, heavy, eye relief of that of the TA01. I sold mine to finance a TA31.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
No problems with the windage and elevation controls here. But I'm not throwing mine in the sand either.

Heavy. Yes.

Best optics, better in low-light, and I LOVE the reticle!

Bah-Humbug!

:-P
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
My only complaint with the Elcan (and the reason I got rid of mine) is the eye relief.  I kept getting whacked while shooting prone or from the bench.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#5]
You must be way too close to the sight, the eye relief of the ELCAN is greater than the Trijicon series.  I think it's almost 3" (my references aren't here) and certainly 2".  

M16 type rifle has a 3/64" recoil.  OK, so I made that up, but there really isn't any recoil, otherwise we'd all have bruised noses.  [;)]

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear glasses and have yet to contact the ELCAN with them, certainly no body parts touch.

The sight is indeed heavy.  It's also very fast on target as the reticle is a large picket post with the aimping point on the top.

I'm not sure where "fragile" comes from, mine keeps on ticking.  The external adjustments are a minor issue.

Adjustments?  [i]We don't need no stinking adjustments![/i][;)]  Effective range doesn'e magically increase just 'cuz you're using a telescopic sight.  Just battlesight the critter at 200 meters and go up a tad for 300.  Hits every time.

My flattop lightweight Dissipator has the ELCAN on it right now.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been shooting with the Elcan since 1996 or so.  Maybe 1995.

I've fired around 30,000 rounds of fullbore under them, and probably 15,000 of .22 LR.

I use a seperate .22 dedicated upper, with the same scope, and have had no loss of zero.  None.  The come up and over is 9 clicks right, and 5 clicks past my 500m setting in elevation, and I'm zeroed at 100m.  

Swap the optic back to the .223 upper, and it's 9 left, back to my 100 zero.  

I've used Gen 1, 2, and 4 bases, and the Gen 1's were less than reliable, but mine never failed through a season of shooting.

The Gen 2 that I've used (and still use on my issued rifle) has been rebuilt once, but only because every other scope on our rifle team was getting re-built at the same time.

The Gen IV that I own and use on my own AR has no problems with loss of zero, repeatability, or anything else.

Now, bear in mind, I'm a range user, not a field user, but I've worn out a BARREL before I broke the scope.

(15,000 rounds down a chrome lined bore....accuracy opened up from 1.25" to over 4.5" between 12k and 15k.)

I'm 100% satisfied with my Elcans.  

(I've fired them on AR's, C-7A1's, and C-9A1's, and for S&G once, I put it on my Remington 700 too.)

Coffee

www.canadiangunnutz.com

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Keeping in mind Coffee is in the NAVY...

[;)]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought Duffy's...and love it.....it's my 2nd one....never had a problem with either..
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#12]
It really is a nice scope, hope ya use it more than I did, it sat on my ZM (since sold too) and neither saw much action.  Good to know it found a happy home and happy owner [:d]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top