Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:51:28 PM EDT
We have all seen this on TV, as I can recently recall Keefer Sutherland (in the show 24) tell new recruits to fill their pockets with mags for protection.

I laughed and tried to explain to my Wife, she pretended to care.........his
Put an end to the MYTH!!!!

Check out the web site here.

Check out the MAG!!!!!!
Cooked off the rounds too.....SWEET

That might just cauterize the entry wound, Ya think?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/4630183/9-10.jpg

That's what I thought!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Lurk for a little while longer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Jack Bauer checks his closet at night to make sure OP isn't in there...

I love box 'o truth threads.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

LURK????

As to to lie in wait in a place of concealment especially for an evil purpose?

Or......

as to move furtively or inconspicuously?

Or......

as to persist in staying?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
it might help a little bit against shrapnell.  
or the rounds cooking off would sent the shrapnel into your eyes.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
wow, awesome reading & pics
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LURK????

Or......

Or......

What he meant to say is Git 'R Done!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Myth?
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that an aluminum box containing small rounds of explosive powder will not react the same to a bullet as a synthetic, engery absorbing woven fiber.
WTF do you guys get some of the  stuff that you post on the boards?
cc
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We have all seen this on TV, as I can recently recall Keefer Sutherland (in the show 24) tell new recruits to fill their pockets with mags for protection.

I laughed and tried to explain to my Wife, she pretended to care.........

I wanted to test this theory myself, but the boys at "The box O' Truth" did all the work for me.

Check out the MAG!!!!!!

i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/4630183/9-10.jpg

That's what I thought!

In the A- Team they take cover behind empty 55 gal drums, drywall, courragated tin... And they even shot the bad guys with gun that shot cabbages in one show...

Hint:   Its TV  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#9]
That is actually what I find so funny about this crap, and the tests (like others) these guys at "The Box O' Truth" do.

So many people believe this stuff.
I never thought that anyone here (in the forum) would actually believe this Hollywood CRAP.

But hey ....COOL SITE TO READ, THAT"S MY POINT!

Check your comprehention skills coltcarbine QUOTE "WTF do you guys get some of the stuff that you post on the boards?"

Look back to the top and READ "The Box O' Truth.com"   That is WTF I got it from...LOL

CIAO'

Anger shouldn’t flair

Hilarity should ensue
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
You call that a prevalent myth?  Christ, what about the douche bag who came into the shop the other day demanding 30 rd. thompson smg "clips" and trying to convince me it's illegal to shoot people with a m2 .50 in combat...  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You call that a prevalent myth?  Christ, what about the douche bag who came into the shop the other day demanding 30 rd. thompson smg "clips" and trying to convince me it's illegal to shoot people with a m2 .50 in combat...  

Now that's a good one!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That is actually what I find so funny about this crap, and the tests (like others) these guys at "The Box O' Truth" do.

So many people believe this stuff.
I never thought that anyone here (in the forum) would actually believe this Hollywood CRAP.

But hey ....COOL SITE TO READ, THAT"S MY POINT!

Check your comprehention skills coltcarbine QUOTE "WTF do you guys get some of the stuff that you post on the boards?"

Look back to the top and READ "The Box O' Truth.com"   That is WTF I got it from...LOL

CIAO'

Anger shouldn’t flair

Hilarity should ensue

People are just yanking your chain because "those guys" from the Box O Truth are regular posters on ar15.com (Old_Painless and Tman) and the pictures and explanations of each shoot are always posted here first.  So most people are very familiar with it.

The Box O Truth webpage that you found is actually a relatively recent phenomenon, where Old Painless gathered all of his old posts, and put the info together on one webpage as a cool resource.

It is a great page - and don't forget that you can donate to it to help them cover any costs they have.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wanted to test this theory myself, but the boys at "The box O' Truth" did all the work for me.

Check out the MAG!!!!!!

That's what I thought!

In the A- Team they take cover behind empty 55 gal drums, drywall, courragated tin... And they even shot the bad guys with gun that shot cabbages in one show...

I LOVE THE A TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUN DUN DUN DUUUNNNNNNNN  . .. "I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER"  " I AIN'T GETTIN ON NO PLANE!!!!!!"  "I PITY DA FOOL DAT MESSES WITH MY VAN!!! "    "WHATCHA TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?!?!?"  OH WAIT THAT WAS ANOTHER SHOW.    I LOVE THE A TEAM!!!!!!!          what was this thread about again?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check out the MAG!!!!!!

That's what I thought!

saw that episode today....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:33:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I bet that mag still works.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't watch fictional television shows  for firearms training.

Put an end to the Hollywood MYTH!!!!
Fixed it for ya. The rule is simple - whatever you see on TV or in movies related to firearms is always wrong, without fail.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:42:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't watch fictional television shows  for firearms training.

Put an end to the Hollywood MYTH!!!!
Fixed it for ya. The rule is simple - whatever you see on TV or in movies related to firearms is always wrong, without fail.

Even Heat? lol.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:08:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Of course it didn't stop the rounds. You didn't have it filled with cop killer rounds.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:52:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I think I read in BlackHawk down I believe that a seal caught an AK round with his Buckmaster Buck knife and it saved him from an entry wound on his hip.

Maybe box O truth could try that one???
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#20]
You mean I can finally stop walking around with all of these mags in my shirt pockets?  

Whew!  That feels better!

Can I take them out of my pants, too?  (Is that a Sterling 40 in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?  )
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LURK????

Or......

Or......

What he means is that due to your newness you have discovered a rather well-known phenomenon of the AR boards;  Old Painless is a regular here, and his work is known.
It's kind of like walking into a geography class and declaring that you have discovered that the world is round.
Hang around, watch what is going on, and get a feel for the board.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:09:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LURK????

Or......

Or......

What he meant to say is Git 'R Done!

Or maybe he meant "lurk, instead of posting"

On the "box-o-truth" / magazine for homemade armor tests.........Conclusion:

we all like to blow shit up, but prefer it not be ourselves!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:21:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Hiding behind a car door works as well
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Chuck Norris OWNS jack Bauer.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I think I read in BlackHawk down I believe that a seal caught an AK round with his Buckmaster Buck knife and it saved him from an entry wound on his hip.

Maybe box O truth could try that one???

The SEAL's name was John Gay and it was a Randal knife that shattered and parts had to be removed from his leg.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I've known about the box-o-truth site, but I've never taken the time to check it out until I clicked the above link. Gotta say that demo really was informative!

Thanks to Ol'Painless for doing the test.

And yeah, you can forget about using car doors. Remember the Bonnie & Clyde death car?

Scott
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Mythbusters on discovery channel busted the myth on car doors and bullets.  Gas tanks too.  

As stated previously, EVERYTHING gun-related on TV is false.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:24:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I still crack up laughing at the bread box of truth.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I still crack up laughing at the bread box of truth.

And the Oscar for best supporting actor goes to...Tman-Breadbox-O-Truth!  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
[
saw that episode today....

Ya gotta admit ....you laughed ....right??!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

LURK????

Or......

Or......

What he means is that due to your newness you have discovered a rather well-known phenomenon of the AR boards;  Old Painless is a regular here, and his work is known.
It's kind of like walking into a geography class and declaring that you have discovered that the world is round.
Hang around, watch what is going on, and get a feel for the board.

I had never doubted that these fellows from the B.O. T. are members here, as a matter of fact I assumed they were but like you stated "I am new here" Like hundreds of others that have joined in the past months. I'm just BUMPING their site cause its way cool.

It may be old news to you but not to the many others like me who are new.

Why be so negative and condescending behind your keyboard?

Loosen up and enjoy the board.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-----sawat-dee khrab-----
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Umm...that's what Lumpy does...

He's got some good knowledge, he's just blunt.  He has no qualms saying something is stupid if that's what he thinks.

Just because his bedside manner isn't the best, doesn't mean he isn't a good doctor.  You may have seen the L plates from Magpul?  Those were his idea, in case you weren't aware.

In other words, don't let him bother you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#33]
2 pieces of thin aluminum and 2-4 pieces of thin brass... and a low % possibility of hitting a bullet square on.

Of course not.... but has any one ever tried to figure out the velocity/energy loss?

Is it enough to drop the energy for .308/7.62 to get stopped ly a level 3 vest?

Probably not, but I'd like to know the actual velocity loss.  I guess putting a chrono behind a full mag is the only way to know... or put a vest together with obstacles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I had never doubted that these fellows from the B.O. T. are members here, as a matter of fact I assumed they were but like you stated "I am new here" Like hundreds of others that have joined in the past months. I'm just BUMPING their site cause its way cool.

It may be old news to you but not to the many others like me who are new.

Loosen up and enjoy the board.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-----sawat-dee khrab-----

I sincerely hope that you aren't saying that I was negative or condescending.  If you were referring to Lump, well, that's just Lumpy.
Again, no knock on you, but there are a lot of n00bs taht come up and declare something that they found as new, or run off a couple hundred of posts in their first week, and it gets trying at times to those that have been here awhile.  A lot of the probs that newbies get themselves into could have been avaoided if they had gotten a feel for the board first.
Sorry I don't have a witticism from Swat The Crab handy, you have me at a disadvantage.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#35]
If an infantryman is wearing his armor plating underneath then the magazine would help slightly wouldn't it? It at most would probably just take a tiny bit of the sting out of a bullet hitting your armor plating. Probably not enough to be noticeable though.

EDIT: Flame-resistant suit on
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#36]
lurk more
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#37]
WAAAAAYYYYY back when, the German police wanted to find out why they didn't stop terrorist cars by shooting their tires-or stop terrorists, for that matter-with 9mm rounds.  Duh!  All the 9mm does is punch nice round holes in most things, and tires for example are made to handle holes, though not "gracefully."  So they did a lot of research and came up with a round that would STOP a tire or a terrorist.  It was called the Blitz Action Trauma round, and it featured a WIDE hollow point bullet (actually the bullet is a hollow cylinder) that was pretty much all copper (or gilding metal-I forget) with a plastic nose plug to make it feed.  The shape of the cavity and bullet construction guaranteed HUGE expansion and devastating effects.  The stuff is again available-look here for an offering.  There's not much more on the round online, unfortunately...

The joke here?  The Blitz Action Trauma round would indeed go through a car door and into a terrorist, would make big holes in gas tanks and shred tires.  But it still would not defeat a car windshield.  Go figure.  (As far as I know, the Bundespolizei still concentrate on covering the sides of vehicles rather than the fronts.)

I thought it interesting to read the Sandbox article on Box 'o' Truth.  Sand is your friend!

ANYTHING is better than nothing when it comes to "splinter protection," the formal term for protection from shrapnel.  But when it comes to actual projectiles heading at you, real body armor is the only thing you can expect to really protect you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry ....
I did not imply you were negative or condescending m24shooter.
That was a mixed reply.

For everyone else, sorry for adding this piece to the board.

I will conduct my posts on an extreme technical basis, only after I do all research on this and other web sites first.

I will lurk no longer.

----Sawat-dee khrab----
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#39]
I bet a 3a vest with two stacks of loaded AK mags in front would prevent a lethal wound from a ballitic tip .223 round.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top