Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2003 4:20:22 PM EDT
I saw a pic of a Les Baer and I noticed that the bolt carrier was flutted.(for lack of a better word) What's the purpose of this? It also looked chromed, If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that a chromed carrier would react with one of the metals on the AR. Is this true or did I dream this up?
Thanks,
Cybin
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The fluted surface carries more lubricant and provides more bearing surface. It is hard chromed and the chrome does not react with anything. This is just an old tale. I use Baer carriers in all my AR's. IMHO they are the best carrier on the market for a semi auto AR.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I also agree.  While my LMT carriers are cool, very well made and finished with certain design advances - they are more appropriate for F/A setups.  As far as semi-auto, the LBC's are AWESOME.  The BEST chromed carriers I have ever seen with it's own special design features.  It's one of the heaviest if not the heaviest out there - good for reliability and competition shooters.  The manufacturing work and quality are INCREDIBLE - works of art.

There are no chrome problems, and that fluting is there for good reason, and good for us.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
How will these bolt carriers do for the average joe shooter shooting anything and everything wal mart carries as well as a tad bit of heavier stuff?

Is the old wives tale about chrome eating away your upper true?

Lastly, will it make the rifle last longer by slowing the bolt rotation due to mass? (IE less stress on the bolt lugs and what have you?)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Non-stock carriers (such as Young, Baer, LMT, JP, etc) alone are not going to yield any huge improvements in accuracy or function for the average shooter if this is the only change you make to a stock rifle.  You would be better of spending your cash and buy good, factory-made  match loads or investing the $ to buy your own loading equipment.

However, when you combine the superior (tighter)tolerances of the Young/Baer carrier with other accuracy enhancing improvements, the overall effect is more obvious.

I agree with the guys above....I have several AR's with the Young/Baer carriers (Young actually makes LBC's carrier) and like them alot.  They are a few thousandths larger in diameter than a GI carrier and fit more precisely in the upper.  This results in more repeatable bolt face position following lockup.  I also have a thing for hard chrome finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top