Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2005 9:06:13 AM EDT
I am about to buy a Les Baer custom AR-15 Rifle and want to know if anyone has had any experience with them in the past.  I shot one for about a week at a recent Dallas Sniper School, but that is the extent of my experience with them.

The weapon I shot was very accurate, even with the 18" barrel that Dallas SWAT had on theirs.  What I really need is to know what people familar with AR-15's think about them compared to Colt and Bushmasters top Varmint Rifles.

Here are the specs put out on the Les Baer website.

Les Baer Custom Ultimate AR.223 Super Varmint Model

http://www.lesbaer.com/images/varmint.jpg

The flagship model of our AR rifle line is built with the same care and precision as a custom bolt action rifle. It's as dependable as any rifle built and it's accurate enough to be a trusted companion on any excursion for prairie dogs, woodchucks or coyotes at long range. It's so good, it makes the tough shots look easy. We'll guarantee that our Super Varmint Model will shoot 1/2 MOA groups! Included with each gun is a target with two five-shot groups shot at 100 yards. It's built from best AR parts and accessories in the world, including:

• LBC Forged and Precision Machined Upper & Lower Receivers (available with or without forward assist upper)

• Picatinny Style Flat Top Rail

• LBC Ultimate National Match Carrier (chromed)

• LBC Ultimate Bolt (chromed)

• LBC Ultimate Extractor (chromed)

• Jewell Two-Stage Trigger Group (truly spectacular)

• LBC Precision Machined Adjustable Free Float Handguard With Locking Ring

• LBC Aluminum Gas Block With Picatinny Rail Top

• Steel Firing Pin

•LBC Bench Rest 416 R Stainless Steel Barrel With Precision Cut Rifling (1X9 Twist Standard, Optional Twists Available Including 1X12, 1X8, 1X7) 20” Length Standard (18”, 22” and 24” Optional)

• Newly Designed LBC Custom Grip With Extra Material Under the Trigger Guard Corner

• Versa Pod Installed

• LBC Ultimate AR .223 Rifle Soft Case

• Baer Coat™ All-Weather Finish On Upper, Lower And Small Parts - Stainless Steel Barrel Bear Coated™ On Request. Four-Way Free Float Handguard System with Picatinny Rail System Is An Option.

(Note: Bear Coat™ is a protective all-weather firearm finish that uses tough TEFLON-S™, a product of Dupont.)

The fit, finish and performance of this precision rifle will please any lover of fine rifles, and the superior accuracy will put it in a class with many bolt guns. With a guaranteed 1/2" M.O.A. and a price well below the $3000-plus you might expect to pay for such an extraordinary piece of equipment, the Les Baer Super Varmint model is almost sure to change the whole AR market. In addition to hunting, the Les Baer Ultimate AR .223 Super Varmint Model is also an excellent choice for SWAT units and other law enforcement teams requiring absolute accuracy

I am going to have the rifle and scope camo painted by a guy that does all of the Dallas SWAT guns.  Overall, I think it should be a great medium range sniper rifle.

Here a couple other pics I found of the same model.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/Images/00001300/sprvarment-hndgrd.jpg  http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/Images/00001300/component-parts.jpg   http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/Images/00001300/tube-handgrd.jpg

http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/Images/00001300/2pos.-sfty.jpg  http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/Images/00001300/2stg-jwl-trigger.jpg  http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/Images/00001300/leupold-scope.jpg

I am also thinking about the length of pull, which usually needs to be adjusted on any stock.  I was thinking out using a buttplate made by Sierra Precision Rifles.  Here it is.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/AdjustableButtPlate-158-High_50.jpg

It is adjustable for lenth of pull, up and down or rotates.  The only think I dont have is an adjustable chhek piece.  But the buttplate should work well with this rifle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
David
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The 2 Les Baer ARs I've seen were scary accurate...I saw one guys shoot about 5 or 6 5 shot .300" groups in a row.  No reason you couldn't use it for a sniper rifle, although most folks would recommend a little bigger caliber, I'm sure.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Excellent rifle !

Very accurate- the Best I,ve shoot  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
AJNTSA!!!

You can build/buy a just as capable or more capable rfile for 1/3 the cost!!!  Look at all the vendors on the EE.

The Les Baer is absolutley overpriced.

READ THIS

Here is a SAM-R styled rifle.  This bad-boy cost under $2500 WITH $ 900 OPTICS!  It features better products than the stock Les Baer and shoots SUB 1/2 MOA (I am a bad shot) ALL DAMN DAY.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Just about as good as it gets out of the box...that is once you get over the sticker shock!  LBC makes great weapons.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
AJNTSA!!!

You can build/buy a just as capable or more capable rfile for 1/3 the cost!!!  Look at all the vendors on the EE.

+1. Hell a Bushy varminter will shoot 1/4" groups right out of the box for $900. Why pay LB  $2000 for the same type of accuracy. I would build my own. You can get all the goodies the LB has for a lot less $ such as the Jewell trigger, etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help guys.  

Any thoughts on the 18" barrel vs. the 20".  I am thinking about getting the 18".
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AJNTSA!!!

+1. Hell a Bushy varminter will shoot 1/4" groups right out of the box for $900. Why pay LB  $2000 for the same type of accuracy. I would build my own. You can get all the goodies the LB has for a lot less $ such as the Jewell trigger, etc.

+1 yup
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am about to buy a Les Baer custom AR-15 Rifle and want to know if anyone has had any experience with them in the past.  I shot one for about a week at a recent Dallas Sniper School, but that is the extent of my experience with them.I am going to have the rifle and scope camo painted by a guy that does all of the Dallas SWAT guns.  Overall, I think it should be a great medium range sniper rifle.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
David

You can get the same or more rifle for a lot less with some of the guys on the Industry forums.  ADCO comes to mind right off the top of my head, and his rifles will go through a Pat Rogers class without hiccup.
Is Mike Lau the guy you're going to have do the work?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#9]
This is my 24" Bushy. A friend has a 16" Bull Les baer. There is not much dif. in them at our level. We can get around 2 in groups at 100 yrds with both. A friend shot mine one day and did much better.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Two inch groups at 100 yds is a bit more than I am looking for.  I am wanting 1/4" to 1/2" tops.  Thanks though.  Great looking gun by the way.  What scope is on it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Look up Wes at MSTN. Tell him what you need. If top of the line is what you're after, he'll fix you up.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
AJNTSA!!!

+1 yup

yep yep, longer barrel too
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Look up Wes at MSTN. Tell him what you need. If top of the line is what you're after, he'll fix you up.

Yep!  .38 MOA on my SPR.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure Les Baer makes a quality product, but I'd go for a custom build.

Me, I'd go for a 20" SS barreled from one of the reputable vendors on this site. You could have a super reliable tack driver for half the price of the Baer.

Although it's not going to be out for awhile, you might check out the Magpul M95 stock. Adjustable LOP, a monopod attatchment, and an adjustable cheek piece.

If you want completely out of the box performance, the Baer may not be a bad choice, but I'd still check around the industry forums and see what they have to offer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep!  .38 MOA on my SPR.

1+

Everything Wes has built for me has shot just well under 0.5MOA (5.56MM & 6.8). He has built a couple for me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the lead on the Magpul stock!  

It looks like just the thing I am looking for.

Here are some pics I found of it on the Internet.

http://www.usmilitarytimes.com/images/m95-1.jpg

http://www.usmilitarytimes.com/images/m95-2.jpg

http://www.usmilitarytimes.com/images/m95-3.jpg

I sent Magpul an e-mail asking for the release date and prices.  When I get a response I will let everyone know.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Les Baer is good for a guy who wants out of the box accuracy and has no want/need/skill and/or ability to build their own accurate AR.  You pay for them, though.  IIRC, the fine print at the bottom of the page does state an arm, leg or first born is required.

But, it wouldn't be my first choice for a sniper role.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Edited to "stay on topic".

I would tend to agree with most folks that .223/5.56 doesn't make a very good sniper round. If I was going to go that route, I would look at a .308 AR.

Regarding bbl length, longer will be better as far as maximizing the round's velocity which will help to stablize the round over long distances.

The Magpul PSR (Precision Rifle Stock) should be in production very soon if it is not already.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:00:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
On side note to the OP, rpd5127, it's bad etiquette to link directly to images on other peoples, or in this case, vendors, sites. It costs them $$$ in the form of bandwidth. If you want to post pics in a thread, download them to your PC then upload them to a free pic hosting service. There are a lot of them out there now.

On a side note it is bad etiquette to post something off topic on someones thread.

If you feel the need to play moderator, how about doing it in the form of an IM.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programing.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top