Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 8:28:29 PM EDT
After looking at rangefinders and binoculars, buying this combined model was a no brainer.

Optically these are of course excellent binoculars, and the use of the rangefinder feature is actually easier than the smaller 8 power rangefinder only units thanks to a solid two hand hold.

When I first took them out of the box, I installed the battery, and attempted to use the rangefinder on a billboard by the highway.

651 yards from the red LEDs!!!

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
My shooting partner sprung for a pair and we used them at the ITRC two weeks ago.  They are THE SHIT!

-z
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:41:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Zak, how do they compare optically to the Ultravid 10X42 that you have, particularly in respect to low light?

I have read that the GEOVID is slightly less efficient at light transmission because the ULTRAVID coatings are incompatible with the laser, otherwise they are the same optically, but the difference is less than 10%.

Leica is coming out with a new  GEOVID 8 x 56 BRF, and this should be the thing for low light with 56mm objective and larger exit pupil, but I am astounded by the quality of the low light image from my 10X42 Geovids.  It's almost like seeing in the dark at 10 power.
And use during the day, well it's hard to see how they could be any better.

And of course, what will be the price on the 8X56s, my GEOVID 10X42 were $1549 plus shipping, and with first rate service.   link
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I love my Ultravids- 10x42, super clear, everyone comments, compact, wide field of view, the whole bit.

I haven't done a real serious side by side comparison of the new Geovids vs. my Ultravids.   They are close-- they sort-of "feel" the same as far as eye relief, field of view, etc.  

I think you might be right about the brightness, or maybe the hue or something of the light coming through, because they do look very slightly different.    It's a moot point for now because there are no Ultravids with LRFs built in.

That's another test I'll have to do when I get some time... along with comparisong the SB PMII to the SN3 for light transmission & clarity!

-z
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top