Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2009 10:35:29 AM EDT
I recall there being a thread about Colt receivers with a stamped vs. raised "C" mark. opinions welcome

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:39:24 AM EDT
I have some new colt's and the uppers have a stamped  C .
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:26:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 11:26:29 AM EDT by sporter]
lulz...now every receiver will be Colt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:28:31 AM EDT
Colt stamps some (probably receivers they had to get outside their normal supply) & some are raised.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:37:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By warpig8654:
Colt stamps some (probably receivers they had to get outside their normal supply) & some are raised.

I just started seeing this recently myself-not sure how long they have been doing it though.

I have two new Colt uppers that are stamped like jcrowl's, and they are indeed 100% legit We'll have to start keeping a careful eye out for fakes.

Jcrowl. does your new upper have any markings over the gas tube cloverleaf?

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:41:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

I just started seeing this recently myself-not sure how long they have been doing it though.

I have two new Colt uppers that are stamped like jcrowl's, and they are indeed 100% legit We'll have to start keeping a careful eye out for fakes.

Seller says it does. This is one posted on the EE I'm thinking of buying so I don't have it yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:21:00 PM EDT
I have a new stripped upper I purchased from SAW last month that has a stamped "C" (it also came in a similar clear pack as posted - even the part # is almost the same). My year old 6920 upper is stamped as well. I have a 6 month old A2 Match Target that has a raised "C". That upper in question is indeed Colt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:24:25 PM EDT
Thanks for the responses guys, been a big help.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:55:36 PM EDT

they dont "get from a supply" they make them.      the differnce would be because of a change they amde for  who knows why.       this "outside source" myth never dies
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:36:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2009 5:46:42 PM EDT by sporter]
Originally Posted By Shawnmt6601:

they dont "get from a supply" they make them.      the differnce would be because of a change they amde for  who knows why.       this "outside source" myth never dies

Wow, didn't know Colt forged their own uppers.

Must be a fake Cerro Forge keyhole mark on that upper then.

ETA: From what I am seeing on the new Colt's that is the way they are marking them (unfortunately).
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:41:49 PM EDT
My opinion is that, that one does not "look right".  The "C" is too far back, and looks crooked.  Too large of font, and not the right arch in the C shape.  To me it looks questionable.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:51:48 PM EDT

Unless I'm mistaken, the keyhole mark means the forging came from Cerro Forge.  Colt does the machining and finishing, but at least on some receivers, the forgings are outsourced, yes?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:59:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sabre223:
My opinion is that, that one does not "look right".  The "C" is too far back, and looks crooked.  Too large of font, and not the right arch in the C shape.  To me it looks questionable.

For comparison, here are two known Colt uppers

A Colt LE6920 Upper

A Colt LE6933 Upper

I still own both of these
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:08:29 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Strongbow:

Unless I'm mistaken, the keyhole mark means the forging came from Cerro Forge.  Colt does the machining and finishing, but at least on some receivers, the forgings are outsourced, yes?

Thanks Stongbow. That's what I was talking about to begin with & you understood.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:21:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2009 6:29:27 AM EDT by Molon]
Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

I first noticed the Colt  "C" stamped receivers well over a year and a half ago.  There's a lot of arm chair Colt experts out there who are a perfect example of "a little knowledge" being a dangerous thing.  Just because they haven't seen a Colt "C" stamped receiver that they go around saying that the "C" stamped receivers are not authentic Colt receivers.

Here's one I purchased directly from Brownells.

Here's one from another member of this site.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:11:03 PM EDT
great, now y'all are going to make me go look for mine.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:44:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Strongbow:

you are right,   colt in CT does not forge the uppers. they    machine the raw blank.   I thought ther poster meant colt had some one else machine the uppers to finished for them.. colt canada   does however have its own forge

Top Top