Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2003 10:40:21 PM EDT
I'm green to AR's, and I've seen pre=ban collapsible stocks for sale in commercial catalogs with no disclaimers as to whether or not they can be put on a post-ban rifle.  I would like the ability to change the length of pull for summer/winter, girlfriend shooting, etc, but of course I don't want to do anything illegal.  I'm assuming you can't...but we can use pre-ban mags, so I thought, eh maybe.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunatly no, we cant put collapsoble stocks on our rifles yet.

The ban which differentiates post and pre ban rifles and parts is set to expire in september of this year. After that date you may put all those pre-ban thingies on your rifle.

That is if everything goes smoothly.
To make it even smoother, please write your state representatives telling them you want your rights back. Fight fight fight untill the assault weapons ban is dead. Its not time to celebrate!  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:07:38 AM EDT
[#2]
K_S is correct, you're SOL until the Crime Bill sunsets
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm green to AR's, and I've seen pre=ban collapsible stocks for sale in commercial catalogs with no disclaimers as to whether or not they can be put on a post-ban rifle.  I would like the ability to change the length of pull for summer/winter, girlfriend shooting, etc, but of course I don't want to do anything illegal.  I'm assuming you can't...but we can use pre-ban mags, so I thought, eh maybe.  Thanks.
View Quote

If the receiver is a post ban, it cannot be a semiautomatic assault rifle. Here is how the BATF defines "semiautomatic assault rifle":

[red]a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -

(i) a folding or telescopic stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher*[/red]

SOURCE: [red][url]http://www.atf.gov/firearms/legal/semi.htm[/url][/red]

[red]*[/red]In section {v} they are referring to the ability of a rifle grenade to fit over the muzzle and be fired.

So you see you can have only one of the features, two or more makes it illegal if it is a postban.

In addition, it would appear that Virginia has specific laws concerning so-called "assault weapons" that are more restrictive than the federal laws:

[red]Virginia Code § 18.2-308.2:2(G) defines "assault firearms" as:

Any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol which expels a projectile by action of an explosion and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than twenty rounds of ammunition or [is] designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or [is] equipped with a folding stock.

[/red]

SOURCE: [url]http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/virginia.asp#assaultweapons[/url]

This would appear to restrict magazine capacity to 20 rounds in Virginia. You may want to research the Virginia state codes to ensure you stay within the realm of the law.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I'll definitely be looking into Virginia's laws.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
"This would appear to restrict magazine capacity to 20 rounds in Virginia. You may want to research the Virginia state codes to ensure you stay within the realm of the law."

This is incorrect.  I would suggest reading the entire code http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2.  All this is, is Virginia's definition of an assault weapon.

There are no magazine or assault weapon restrictions in Virginia.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The alternatice would be to get a short buttstock and have an adjustable buttplate.  That would allow for adjustability in the stock, but still have it remain legal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"This would appear to restrict magazine capacity to 20 rounds in Virginia. You may want to research the Virginia state codes to ensure you stay within the realm of the law."

This is incorrect.  I would suggest reading the entire code http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C2.  All this is, is Virginia's definition of an assault weapon.

There are no magazine or assault weapon restrictions in Virginia.
View Quote

then I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The alternatice would be to get a short buttstock and have an adjustable buttplate.  That would allow for adjustability in the stock, but still have it remain legal.
View Quote

Yeah, I most likely will, but I don't understand the logic that says I can adjust my stock length one way but not another.  If it's a matter of overall length, why doesn't anyone make a M4 style stock that adjusts up to 3-4 inches?  Am I just an idiot or what?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I most likely will, but I don't understand the logic that says I can adjust my stock length one way but not another.  If it's a matter of overall length, why doesn't anyone make a M4 style stock that adjusts up to 3-4 inches?  Am I just an idiot or what?
View Quote

With the adjustable buttstock plate, the buttstock is already fixed.  You aren't adding a collapsible or folding stock to the rifle, you are adding an adjustable component to the end of the fixed buttstock.  It's wierd logic, but it is how the regulation has been interpreted.  Go figure.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top