Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2006 1:04:31 PM EDT
I just installed the forend on my PLR 16 and I am wanting to install a handle to it. I have seen AR's with the handle installed on the bottom of the forend so you can hold on to something besides the magazine. Is this legal to do on the PLR 16 pistol? Some discussion on another forum had mixed emotions on it whether it was legal or not to install a handle on the forend. Let me know.
Thanks

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just installed the forend on my PLR 16 and I am wanting to install a handle to it. I have seen AR's with the handle installed on the bottom of the forend so you can hold on to something besides the magazine. Is this legal to do on the PLR 16 pistol? Some discussion on another forum had mixed emotions on it whether it was legal or not to install a handle on the forend. Let me know.
Thanks

nope makes it an AOW. Pay a $200 tax with the right forms to the ATF and then you can have it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

nope makes it an AOW. Pay a $200 tax with the right forms to the ATF and then you can have it.

+1. You would have to fill out a form 1 and send the IRS a $200 check. I would just SBR it and be done with it if that is what you are going for. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying a pistol though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:13:21 AM EDT
[#3]
When did the AOW fee jump from $5.00 to $200.00?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When did the AOW fee jump from $5.00 to $200.00?

Don't quote me on this because Iowa you can't do this but I think it is $5 transfer and $200 to license a new AOW.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]
$200 tax if you "manufacture" it.

$5 tax if you are just having it transfered to you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#6]
It's an AOW according to All Things Fun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:42:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I have no links to back any of this up so take it for what's it worth... Nothing!

I done some research into the forward grip install and have found three different cases where a fed. court has ruled that ADDING a forward grip to a pistol does not fall into the AOW statute. There may be some out there but I was unable to find a case were a person was found guilty of breaking any law involving adding a second grip to a handgun.

However, if someone could sight a case where someone was found guilty of breaking a law involving adding a second/forward grip to a pistol I'd be appreciative.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the deal.  Nobody that I now of has ever been prosecuted SOLELY on the VG issue (just like the hi cap thing during the ban).  However, it does get tacked on from time to time and is used as a bargaining chip, to be thrown out for co-operation.  The ATFE has "ruled" that the VG makes it an AOW even though by virtue of their own definition of AOW the rifled barrel excludes any rifled barrel pistol from being an AOW unless the weapon does not look like a firearm (pager and pen guns).  The ATFE's reasoning is since the addition of the second grip, in their mind, makes the gun no longer designed to be shot one handed and therefore it is no longer a pistol (like my 4 pound Encore .50 AK is really designed to be shot one-handed?), even though it CAN still be shot one handed.  It makes no since at all and their reasoning so far as I know has not been tested.  While a judge might preliminarily rule that they do not consider the second grip an AOW that ruling has not to my knowledge been handed down in case law. The AOW part is always dropped before a final ruling is handed out which IMO would likely establish precedence that the second grip does NOT make it an AOW.  Thing is, do you want to be the test case?  And, can you afford to fight the ATFE?  And what if you lose?  Is it really worth it to YOU?  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#9]
During the ban I saw people with AK's who removed the stock completely. They didn't know any different, and most likely nobody else will either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thing is, do you want to be the test case?  And, can you afford to fight the ATFE?  And what if you lose?  Is it really worth it to YOU?  

That is what troubles me so much when it comes to firearms and the law. Even if I am in the right, it will still suck up all three pennies that I own trying to prove I am not a criminal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thing is, do you want to be the test case?  And, can you afford to fight the ATFE?  And what if you lose?  Is it really worth it to YOU?  

That is what troubles me so much when it comes to firearms and the law. Even if I am in the right, it will still suck up all three pennies that I own trying to prove I am not a criminal.

You might beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You might beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride...

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top