Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2003 8:32:58 AM EDT
Does the military let you shoot left handed?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#1]
No.  You will ORDER your dominant left eye to conform to Army standards and fall in line with the rest of us righties.  

Just kidding.  Yes, you can shoot left-handed.  

ex-Ranger lawn dart out....
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, they will let you shoot an m-16 lefty which is what you were asking I'm sure, however they will not let you shoot machineguns lefty (in my experiences anyways)
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]
They wouldn't let me shoot a M1 Garand left handed..............of course that was many years ago..........
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They wouldn't let me shoot a M1 Garand left handed..............of course that was many years ago..........
View Quote

????I was in the M1 (and M14) Army too, and no one ever said a word about my shooting left handed. Of course, it always just a little spine tingling to insert the M1 en bloc clip w/the left hand, because you didn't have the heel of your hand in front of the cocking handle to hold the assy if the bolt started closing too soon, like the right handed guys did.

Think that was the major reason I LOVED the M14 when it came in[:D]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The Marines allow you to shoot the M16 left handed but lefties cannot become scout-snipers.  You have to reach over the weapon to open and close the bolt and that's too much movement.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If you were actually used to shooting a rifle left handed you would realize that less motion is needed to operate a right handed bolt action rifle than with a left handed bolt actions rifle.  Shooting from prone on bipods you simpley don't remove your left hand from the pistol grip/trigger guard. You use your right hand to operate the bolt.  Many bench rest shooters are realizing that operating a wrong handed rifle means they don't have to change thier shooting stance or take thier eyes of the target through the optics.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Marine scout-snipers need to be more versitle then civilian bench shooters.   I would want to get a lefty bolt action for target shooting, but as soon as you stand up your in a predicament.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Been shooting left handed all my life and only stupid side ejecting bullpups cause any problem I can see.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:28:56 PM EDT
[#9]
You could be right but since operating right handed rifles left handed all my life I would not know how to do it different. Please explain a situation where it would hamper.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Back when the earth was still cooling we could shoot the M16 lefty but not the M60.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Back when the earth was still cooling we could shoot the M16 lefty but not the M60.
View Quote

They let me shoot it lefty, 83-86. Never had a problem with spent brass burning me either. Unlike those durm M-16A1's.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Marines allow you to shoot the M16 left handed but lefties cannot become scout-snipers.  You have to reach over the weapon to open and close the bolt and that's too much movement.
View Quote

That may be true now, but when I was in Marine Corps bootcamp (1985), I had a Sniper School trainer ask me if I wanted to change my MOS and goto Sniper School. It was at the rifle range doing quals. I was using the first A2's left handed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Notice that triangle/pyrmaid shaped thingy sticking out just behind the ejection port?  They put that there just to keep us leftys from getting spent brass in our faces. Fire a few rounds and you'll notice there's brass colored stains on the front edge of it.  That's the brass deflector doing it's job.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top