Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/21/2005 12:57:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/21/2005 3:24:03 PM EDT by dreemweaver]
First let me say hello, and thanks for all of the great info I have already scrounged from this site!

I am working on my first build and have come to the point of purchasing my upper. I am left handed and left eye dominant however I am questioning whether to buy a left handed upper or not. Will I really have any issues w/ empty casings in my face w/ a case deflector? I thought I read somewhere that in the military they do not issue left handed guns so I assume it is not as big of an issue as I first thought.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:57:44 PM EDT
I've heard that the case deflector helps a lot and keeps brass outta lefty's faces. But if you want to go with the left handed model, I only know of Stag Arms' upper that has left handed controls. Good luck and welcome!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:31:39 PM EDT
Thanks for the reply. I have been eyeing the stag arms uppers, both left and right handed. I am trying to decide if it's worth the extra money or if there are any other downfalls going left handed. It's only about $50 more without factoring the $30 for ambi selector and $100 for ambi mag release.

Hell being left handed I'm pretty ambidextrious as it is maybe I will just start practicing shooting right handed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:44:56 PM EDT
I have two lefties from STAG and wouldn't buy/build another right handed rifle again. If you need to talk yourself into using a right handed rifle or think you need to switch then why bother. If you are left handed than buy/build left handed. Quality of the uppers is equal to any RH receiver and it only cost a little bit more. I dont bother with the ambi safety or mag catch. I use my trigger finger to control the safety and my right thumb for the mag release. But now that lefties are available ask a right handed shooter if he would buy a left handed gun..the answer will always be NO. So why do the opposite, get a gun made for YOU. If your worried about resale or dont think you'll keep it then go the easy route and buy a RH gun, lot more righties than lefties. But if your going to buy a gun that you wish to keep than get a gun you'll be comfortable with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Bulldogxj/Ar15022.jpg
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:32:15 AM EDT
I just ordered the Lefty Stag from Eagle Firearms...can't wait
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:44:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bulldogxj:
...ask a right handed shooter if he would buy a left handed gun..the answer will always be NO. So why do the opposite, get a gun made for YOU.

This is outstanding advice! I am a left-handed shooter and own both a Stag and DPMS left-ejecting rifle. Don't compromise. Get a lefty.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:36:41 AM EDT
dreemweaver:
The two lefties in the upper part of the photo were built on DPMS uppers and the bolt handle mod was done by Derrick Martin. Iam a lefty and really don't see that big of deal using either right or left handed models. I've put several thousand rounds through right handed AR's shooting them left handed without a problem. I do remember some very pointed remarks from a shooting partner when hot brass hit him while shooting in a dog town with one of my lefties.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:41:03 AM EDT
I'll have to try a left handed upper, but I just don't see the need.
However, right or left handed, I do see the need for ambi mag releases and safetys.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:14:08 AM EDT
Lefty here, and I've never really had any problems w/ all my Righty ARs (or anything else I've owned for that matter. I haven't gone with a lefty AR because the thing I'd really like to have on the opposite side is the bolt release. I think I will start adding the Norgon Ambi Mag Catch though on my rifles, just to try it out. I figure since I won't be issued a lefty, I might as well practice with a mirror to what I'll be issued.

Airborne
Top Top