Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
9/16/2019 10:09:13 PM
Posted: 1/6/2012 12:11:05 PM EDT
New to this and I am wanting to build an AR, but was wondering if I would have trouble since I shoot left handed. I have fired semi-autos with no trouble. mostly rim-fire. Will I have trouble with gas blow back? Any other issues I should be aware of?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:14:50 PM EDT
I've never had any problems, but your mileage may vary.

I do highly recommend shooting glasses though. Having your face next to the ejection port is never fun. Especially if you're shooting suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:20:11 PM EDT
Have you looked at left hand uppers at all:

lefty upper
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:21:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2012 9:13:37 AM EDT by lokltrkr]
Originally Posted By NAM:
I've never had any problems, but your mileage may vary.

I do highly recommend shooting glasses though. Having your face next to the ejection port is never fun. Especially if you're shooting suppressed.

good advice here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:23:15 PM EDT
My AR shoots cleaner than my AK-74 did. The safety is nice to have on the right but the ejection port and gases should not bother you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:26:34 PM EDT
Ambidextrous controls (safety and magazine release) are nice when you are shooting left handed.
As far as shooting semiautos, the AR is not detrimental to a left hander when it ejects the shell out the right side.
However, like someone said, shooting one with a suppressor or full auto will be unpleasant from all the gas coming back into your face.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:39:39 PM EDT
You should be fine. I'm a lefty and new to AR's too. I have no probs manipulating the stock controls. I cannot speak to gas to the face or firing full auto or suppressed because I haven't had the pleasure yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 12:53:20 PM EDT by Shadeaux]
Originally Posted By afunderjack:
Have you looked at left hand uppers at all:

lefty upper

+1 or check out a Stag Arms. They make complete rifles for leftys.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:59:02 PM EDT
www.STAGARMS.COM
Big bump for a local company. Great crew over there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:06:20 PM EDT
Stag upper, BAD Levers and Magpul BAD.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:11:16 PM EDT
I am lefty, going to my third AR15 and all are right handed. As a matter of fact I've never even cared or entertained the idea of a left handed one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:19:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 1:19:31 PM EDT by scottydoesnt]
My first AR was a left-hand Noveske Afghan and love it. However, pending a few other life-changes and time, my next will be a SBR in the normal right hand configuration.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 3:41:55 PM EDT by TrackSol]
I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I learned to shoot the M16 in the military right handed. Only later did I find out I was left I dominant and that I am more accurate that way. I primarily shoot southpaw and in my opinion the rifle is more southpaw friendly in it's original configuration.

There are some addons that help but I don't really need them:

I can hit the magazine release with my right hand thumb when removing a magazine.
I can hit the bolt release with my left index finger.
I can hit the bolt catch with my left index finger.
I can operate the charging handle with my right hand.
I don't have to roll the rifle over to look into the chamber for malfunctions or to verify clear.

The concern that most people have is the brass flying across your face and the gas in your face. I recommend wearing eye protection when using firearms regardless of shooting from either shoulder. So that takes care of the gas. The brass deflector takes care of the brass. I considered a left handed AR once but the bolt and carrier being proprietary was a big negative factor for me. I like parts commonality/availability.

I do have an ambi safety selector on mine and will put one on all my rifles as I even like it shooting right handed.
I do plan on getting an ambi magazine release just to speed up my reloads.
I don't like levers and things inside my trigger guard so I doubt I'll get one of those that make it easier to lock/release the bolt shooting right handed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:09:56 PM EDT
I'm a lefty shooting standard ARs. I've never had any problems w/ brass hitting me. The only issue I have is the occasional smoke being breathed in by me right after I take a shot. I have an ambi safety on all my rifles, and although not necessary, it helps a lot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:26:57 PM EDT
Thanks for all the help guys!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:27:10 PM EDT
No problems here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:39:41 PM EDT
Ambi safety preferred here, otherwise you are good to go.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:57:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 4:58:42 PM EDT by Joey_H]
Make sure you get an AR with an ejection port bump. I 'm left handed and firing slick sided upper receiver equipped ARs will not be so much fun when you get whacked in the cheek by ejecting shells. It doesn't happen every round, but often enough. On my old Colt SP1 I bought one of the plastic dealies that snaps into the carrying handle that deflects the brass. After many years you should see the big divot the ejecting shells have carved out of the plastic deflector. ARs with the bump are GTG and they don't eject shells into my face. The shells hit the bump and get deflected away.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:01:06 PM EDT
No problems encountered by this southpaw.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:15:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 5:17:11 PM EDT by Pothole]
Originally Posted By TrackSol:

I can hit the magazine release with my right hand thumb when removing a magazine.
I don't have to roll the rifle over to look into the chamber for malfunctions or to verify clear.

The concern that most people have is the brass flying across your face and the gas in your face. I recommend wearing eye protection when using firearms regardless of shooting from either shoulder. So that takes care of the gas. The brass deflector takes care of the brass. I considered a left handed AR once but the bolt and carrier being proprietary was a big negative factor for me. I like parts commonality/availability.

I do have an ambi safety selector on mine and will put one on all my rifles as I even like it shooting right handed.
I don't like levers and things inside my trigger guard so I doubt I'll get one of those that make it easier to lock/release the bolt shooting right handed.

beautifully said!

as another lefty here I can say that you will have no problem, and the BAD levers are useless to us, unless you plan on doing reloads right handed, besides if you get a lefty upper they get in the way of the dust cover

and shooting full auto or suppressed...you will definitely get a face full of oil and crud, but still be smiling

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:21:38 PM EDT
Lefty checking in..I've been shooting standard AR's since 2003 and with roughly over 120K rounds down range, I've yet to get hit with any brass..I've run suppressed and you do get gas in the face but so do right handed shooters. If you're going to shoot suppressed, I would definitely get a gas buster charging handle. Since that has been available, the gas face issue, isn't an issue anymore..

The only things I tend to add to my personal rifles are ambi mag safeties and ambi mag releases. I do keep a couple of rifles standard with no add on just so I can still be proficient just in case I need to use one down the road in an unforseen circumstance.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:53:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TrackSol:
I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I learned to shoot the M16 in the military right handed. Only later did I find out I was left I dominant and that I am more accurate that way. I primarily shoot southpaw and in my opinion the rifle is more southpaw friendly in it's original configuration.

There are some addons that help but I don't really need them:

Couldn't have said it better as a fellow lefty.

Top Top