Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:48:31 AM EDT
I am new to the ar-15 and would like to build my own rifle. As mentioned in the title I am a left handed shooter and well if i am going to build my own rifle I am going to build it on a left handed verison. I am just looking for suggestions for a good introductory rifle that is reasonably accurate (1to 1.5 moa). I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions on what companies are worth looking into and what i should stay away from. I am a broke college student so, this will have to be done on a budget. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Stag Arms - one of the dealers linked at top of site.  Very good rep.

Stag Arms is the only one I would go with for lefty upper.  DMPS makes one but it'a not as good.

Depends on how much lefty you want to get.  Can be done a little at a time.  There are ambidexterous safety selectors and ones that can be left handed only, ambi mag release, sling points for left handed, and left handed ergo grips.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a some lefty's. Stag is the upper to get. You can get the 16" M4 or the 20" rifle in lefty. Both work wonderfully. Eagle Firearms has the best prices on the uppers, but they don't always have them in stock. When I asked them if they sold the 20", they said I was the first to ask for one.

Stag always has the uppers in stock, but they cost more than Eagle. They are the only place I am aware of that has the 20" lefty. It is easy to order from Stag-they are very nice and helpful.

There really is no other option but Stag for a true lefty upper.

Any lower will work for you-they are all the same. An ambidextrous safety is something you should add-it's easy to put on and costs only about$25.

An ambi mag release is more spendy-around $85. It's nice, but I don't think it is a necessity. I have one, and it does work exactly as advertised.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#3]
+ 1 for stag they are the only company making a fully left handed model.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're going to go lefty go Stag - it's a mirror image of the "regular" AR, complete with dust cover, forward assist, etc. My father has a DPMS Southpaw M4 (Class III no less), and I'm not impressed.

You seem to be set on a lefty rifle, but as a left handed shooter myself, let me advise against that design. The lefty-specific parts can be hard to find anywhere but from the manufacturer, there is no aftermarket for the lefty parts, and you'll have limited familiarity and confused muscle memory with "standard" ARs.

Running a right handed AR lefty can give you a few advantages. My favorite aspect is the fact that I can see into the ejection port (never been hit with brass, btw) - if the weapon is empty or jammed, it's immediatley in view. When changing mags, the bolt catch can be released with the trigger finger as soon as the mag is slammed home. I don't even have any issue with the standard safety - the AR being a low recoil weapon, I simply keep my thumb on the left side of the grip to operate the safety/selector.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#5]
You will be paying a premium for lefty stuff.  It's well worth it in this case.

Accurate and cheap don't go hand in hand, save up for the good stuff.
Quality is cheaper in the long run.

Definitley go with the STAG Arms uppers,  you won't get shortchanged
any of the features 'wrong-handed' people get on their ARs.  If you want
a regular height flat-top theirs is the only one because for some reason
DPMS decided to make theirs 'lo-pro' (about 1/4" higher than a regular
A3 upper. ) Just about negates the use of most back up iron sights.

I can use the regular selector fine with my index finger so that is a matter of
personal preference.  The mag release is a major PITA,  I always find myself
juggling mags and rifle during mag swaps, so I'm seriously considering the
conversion.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you guys for the info. I have been looking into stag parts but my one major question comes into what parts specifically do I need to worry about with left handed interchangability? What parts are going to become a problem (from an aftermarket perspective, I can't leave anything alone) if I go with a completely lefty design?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
There are only three parts that are different-the upper receiver( just the actual receiver, not the barrel), bolt carrier and bolt. That's it. Nothing else is different. There are no--NO- aftermarket parts that are different or do not fit, or any such nonsense. Except for those three parts, everything else is the exact same part as on every other AR.

If you wanted to buy a bolt or bolt carrier to have around, they are certainly available for sale. I really don't worry about it.

To reitereate- everything you can buy on the market fits every AR, left or right, with the exception of the bolt and bolt carrier, (and upper receiver, but if that breaks, then you have other problems).

There are no parts that will ever be a "problem."
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top