Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2005 2:17:25 AM EDT
I've never fired an AR before but i'm looking at building my first. I shoot left handed so should i buy a left handed upper to save getting hit in the face over and over? Everything else i shoot is right handed but i shoot them lefty.

My first post, but i've been learning alot on here for a while. Great site!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:42:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a lefty.  If you go with a real short buttstock you'll probably wish you had a lefty upper.  That brass will be flying so close to your face it'll scare the crap out of you.  I don't know if you'd actually get it, but it's rather disconcerting.  Get a lefty one, you won't regret it.  Besides, Stag is a great company.  I got a lefty one and absolutely love it.  

After getting my lip split by the charging handle / bolt thing on one of dad's rifles (not an AR) I decided that we lefty's deserve to have our own rifles.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:57:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard! Let me be the first to bust your stones!
Noob!
Dupe!
IBTL! Etc., Etc.!!
Now to answer your questions. I am a lefty. Stag Arms makes a true left handed upper. Look at their site, there is a link about 4" up the screen.I have heard many good things about Stag, so you cannot go wrong. Another manufacturer, maybe DPMS, makes a lefty, but it is a converted right hand upper. The brass deflector is still on the rh side(useless) and the forward assist is on the right. So Stag arms does it best, IMHO. That all being said, I have a rh AR, and it is not a problem. I think a LH would be nice....but the guy on my left at the range is prolly not gonna like having brass pelting him from his right AND from his left. I honestly would not worry about it. If I were gonna build an AR, I would go to Del-ton or one of the shops that are mentioned on this site, and build one of their kits. You can get a coplete gun, minus the lower for about $450. A lower will run around $89 plus shipping and a transfer. Go to your states home page, look for some guys that live in your area, find out where they shoot, and meet up with them and learn! There are some really great folks on this site. I have been here about 6 months, and I shoot with guys(and gals) that I met on this site about once a month. Have fun, and become a team member, it'll be the best $20 you spend!!

jj
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:37:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot lefty.  I shoot both slabsides (no forward assist or brass deflector) and modern A2 rifles.

The worst thing that has ever happened while shooting my slabsides is getting hit in the cheek or the ear with a shell casing once out of every 50 or 60 rounds.  No offense, but if that's really a scary thought to you, I'm surprised you are interested in the shooting sports.

As for the A2s, with that case deflector built in, it is nearly impossible to get hit with your own empty brass. The type of stock really shouldn't matter much, because your nose should be right up near the charging handle, no matter what AR you are shooting.

I say try a "regular" AR, if possible, and see how it feels.  I believe it's bad to practice with a special non-standard rifle in case you have to use a standard one some day.  Better to learn how to use the real deal, IMHO.

Good luck and enjoy the new AR15, when you get it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:06:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot left handed too and not a one of my 4 - AR15s are left-handed versions. Suspect selling a left handed AR15 would be every bit as difficult and costly (in lower resale value) as selling a left handed bow, which is why I've never been interested in owning one.

That and the fact that your "brass in the face" comments have never happened to me, no matter the age or model of the AR15.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had plenty of hot brass across my face and that's why I got a Stag Arms Leftie. I absolutly love it!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have had plenty of hot brass across my face and that's why I got a Stag Arms Leftie. I absolutly love it!

If your "seeing" the brass being ejected from your AR15 "across your face" (right handed rifle being fired left handed) it's highly unlikely ya ever hit anything you were aiming at.

IF your saying you have had plenty of hot brass IN your face, let's see the pic of your facial scars.

I think your FOS, and highly doubt you have ever had a piece of hot brass stuck to your face, which is why you used the word "across".

Mike
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is a Stag upper on a bushmaster lower, aska stagmaster
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Posting the crap out of my lefty today.....so many questions about lefties and STAG today. I'm in my glory. Seems like an underground lefty movement is starting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Bulldogxj/Ar15022.jpg
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top