Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2008 4:55:23 PM EDT
I want to leave some of my pmags loaded in my pouches that fasten to my vest.  What is the longest anyone here has left their pmags loaded?  Also, I have my mags downloaded by two.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:06:08 PM EDT
I belive if you use the "caps" you are good to go in def
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:09:27 PM EDT
Thats what I thought!  Anyone else with a length of time they have left their mags loaded?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:23:43 PM EDT
My brother in law has had his loaded with 31 rounds without the cover for about 9mo or so. and earlier today we went out dickin off in the back yard. he pulled the charging handle back and let the rounds fly with no problems. loaded it back up and dumped 100 more rounds through then loaded up and put it back up.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:11:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Solodevice:
My brother in law has had his loaded with 31 rounds without the cover for about 9mo or so. and earlier today we went out dickin off in the back yard. he pulled the charging handle back and let the rounds fly with no problems. loaded it back up and dumped 100 more rounds through then loaded up and put it back up.

Why would he put 31 rounds in a magazine rated for 30 rounds?  Because he can doesn't count.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:05:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Solodevice:

My question is then. Did the magazine swell? I have no doubts it will still feed ammo. My concern is magazine deformation and the ability to still drop free from my lower.

Now if it doesnt not all is lost. Hell it will make an ok range mag but drop free is I feel necessary for tactical applications.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:41:59 AM EDT
I'm staying out of this one!
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 11:59:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/20/2008 12:04:01 PM EDT by Scorch05]
Magpul would be able to confirm, but they have a mag that has been loaded with 30rds without the cap since they started manufacturing them. That is been, what 2 years ago now? The mag has not experienced any feed lip expansion.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 12:14:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MIGHTY_WARRIOR:
Thats what I thought!  Anyone else with a length of time they have left their mags loaded?

Magpul's got a few they've had since they got the first ones off the mold.  I've had no changes in any of my ~30 pmags.  I keep all of them loaded all of the time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 1:56:07 PM EDT
I want to leave some of my pmags loaded in my pouches that fasten to my vest.  What is the longest anyone here has left their pmags loaded?  Also, I have my mags downloaded by two.
Thanks!

The springs are not going to wear out any differently than USGI mags... just sitting under compression won't hurt them.

As for the feed lips.... I just keep the caps on. Keeps the feed lips under no pressure, if you are worried about that. It also keeps dust out.

I don't know of any reason to store them without the covers.... unless you plan for immediate action.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:03:10 PM EDT
I have 10 pmags that are kept loaded with out covers. 1 of them I ordered from GTS the week they got the first shipment of them. They are all fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:22:06 PM EDT
Not directly related to the topic.. but how long can you leave rounds in USGI mags without feed lip expansion?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:36:03 PM EDT

15 to 20 years on some- no problems.....
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:37:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ridata:
Not directly related to the topic.. but how long can you leave rounds in USGI mags without feed lip expansion?

15 to 20 years.....
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:29:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2008 7:33:36 AM EDT by Solodevice]
My brother in law does not do this because he can but because the gear will allow it he said. However from what I've read the springs don't wear out just being under compression, It's the being compressed and released repeatedly that wears them out, so leaving them loaded has no negative effects. Also as long as that Pmag cover is kept on there the feed lips will be fine. General consensus on keep time is about 20 years. Down loading them is not necessary.

**NOTE i wouldn't keep mine stored with 31 and i personally like my mags to not drop free in a combat situation if my mag release gets hit or bumped, well that would just suck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:18:56 AM EDT
Thank you all for the responses!  Very helpful!
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:05:09 PM EDT
I'm pretty new to ARs so excuse my ignorance.

Why are the Pmags so popular? Polymer magazines with ploymer feed lips are generally frowned upon everywhere else, EXCEPT for Pmags. I just don't understand why people prefer them to the metal G.I. 30 rounders, can somebody share some insight?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 12:14:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FearNight:

Why are the Pmags so popular? Polymer magazines with ploymer feed lips are generally frowned upon everywhere else, EXCEPT for Pmags. I just don't understand why people prefer them to the metal G.I. 30 rounders, can somebody share some insight?

Do you have one?

If not, spend 15 bucks and get one.  If you don't like it magpul will make it right, or many other members, including myself, will take it off your hand.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:41:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FearNight:

GI magazines are aluminum alloy, PMags are a strong polymer.... thinking GI magazines are going to be stronger is like comparing a soda-pop can to a bottle of water....

Most of the plastic magazines elsewhere are not as good of a polymer as PMags utilize. ProMag, for example, uses some cheap plastic the flexes and creaks.... just low-grade stuff. PMags are similar to the furniture on an AR15.... it is a good polymer.

PMags are only available for the AR15, as far as I know, so that is why plastic generally gets a bad reputation.

PMags are more durable, more reliable, quieter, have an enlarged bottom for easy gripping, don't wear down to a "shiny" finish, and generally have a less "tinny" feel to them. They are about as smooth running as anyone could ask for... similar to H&K magazines, I would even say they are better. They look good, if you care. They have a window option if you like that, I personally select no windows. They come with a cover that provides even more protection for the feed lips, keeps the pressure off of them during storage, and keeps dust and dirt out.

What reason can you find not to love them?

And don't use "fire" as an excuse.... I have seen that before. Yes, a PMags will melt.... but the follower will melt in a USGI magazine and make it worthless, too. You have to be more creative than that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 3:15:55 PM EDT
Fire will also destroy the spings on even an early 20 rounder with alloy follower.  There is nothing wrong with USGI mag, Pmags are just better.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:55:00 AM EDT
I can't tell you how many times I have bought some USGI mags only to be disapointed. Since trying the pmag I have had no problems. They are reliable and the quality is always consistant.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:51:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By revilo8367:
I can't tell you how many times I have bought some USGI mags only to be disapointed.

Really?  I've never had an issue with a USGI mag that was new when I got it.  That's well into the hundreds.........
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:54:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KJB:
Originally Posted By revilo8367:
I can't tell you how many times I have bought some USGI mags only to be disapointed.

Really?  I've never had an issue with a USGI mag that was new when I got it.  That's well into the hundreds.........

Most USGI mags I have tried have been fine. But out department did order some standard non teflon finished USGI mags that would not feed anything in our rifles. We exchanged them for P Mags.
Pat
Top Top