Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 5:13:05 PM EDT
Hey guys.  Been a fan of the site for a while, finally joined.  Just finished my first AR and love it, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.  Anyway, got a question about mags that I seem to hear mixed things on.  I have a few C- products 30-round stainless mags, and a few Magpul polymer mags, also 30 round.  Ideally, I'd like to leave 'em loaded and not worry about them, but I hear 1) that that's bad for the spring, and 2) that's bad for the lip at the top of the magazine, putting pressure on it causes it to deform over time and cause feeding problems.  The latter isn't a problem with the Magpul because of the dust lid that presses the rounds down slightly, but applies to the c-products ones.  Naturally I have no idea how much merit to place on either of these, so any advice is appreciated!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Here you go
Linky

Ohh yeah...

Welcome
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If you load them and keep them loaded(meaning dont load and unload continuously)  there is no issue........load and forget about it :)    and welcome!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
in my opinion, the spring's biggest enemy is cyclical loading, so loading and unloading them is worse for them than just leaving them loaded. having said that, as you said, the magpul dust covers take the load off the feedlips.  the metal ones will fatigue over time, how long that is, who knows?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome.  Thanks for the link, I figured it is often discussed but didn't come across it in a search.

It made sense to me that the constant loading and unloading was the bad part, but thought I'd check.

Thanks again!  Looking forward to spending some quality time here!

Andy
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top