Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2007 7:28:36 AM EDT
Guys,
what's the least expensive way to build?  Build from a complete parts kit or purchasing parts separately?  Is there that much of a difference in price?
thanks,
Speedfish
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#1]
of the 2 choices you mentioned, overall and in most cases, a kit will be cheaper

h/w, if you get parts used and if its for a good deal, then yea, you can save cash building individually (so to speak); i've built 2 ARs for under $400 by getting stuff off the EE
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Most Carbine Kits will run between $450-600, I would upgrade to a chrome lined barrel though.

BTW Check out Essential Arms for a lower well under $100.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...under $400 by getting stuff off the EE

+1

Its also lots of fun to slowly collect parts from the EE until you have everything you need for a build.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
A kit is the most hassle-free way to build a rifle for way less $$$ than a factory gun, yet you still have some level of warranty coverage if the gun doesn't run.

Buying small parts incrementally may seem appealing, but can kill you on shipping.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:40:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up on Del-ton kits.  I've been looking for a 16" middy kit with chrome lined barrel.  Just need to decide on flat top or A2 upper.  

Essential arms looks good, on the receiver cost, but once I add $20.00 to my FFL for transfer (and time and gas to drive out there) it levels out to about what I can pick them up for at the gun shows OTD.  I've been purchasing Stag Arms receivers from an upstate dealer, at the gun shows, (I don't know what the rules are regarding mentioning in state dealers names, so I won't.) and each time I see them they charge me a little bit less.

Did you fellows that pieced your kits together add the cost of shipping into the total cost?

Thanks again,

Speedfish
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:14:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the heads up on Del-ton kits.  I've been looking for a 16" middy kit with chrome lined barrel.  Just need to decide on flat top or A2 upper.  

Essential arms looks good, on the receiver cost, but once I add $20.00 to my FFL for transfer (and time and gas to drive out there) it levels out to about what I can pick them up for at the gun shows OTD.  I've been purchasing Stag Arms receivers from an upstate dealer, at the gun shows, (I don't know what the rules are regarding mentioning in state dealers names, so I won't.) and each time I see them they charge me a little bit less.

Did you fellows that pieced your kits together add the cost of shipping into the total cost?

Thanks again,

Speedfish

Del-Ton midlengths have HBAR barrels if that makes a difference. I measured mine once and it was a full inch in diameter under the handguards. Considering it has a midlength handguard, you get 9 inches of that one inch diameter. I'm still happy with mine, even though I give you the warning. It's just nice to know that it adds a bit of weight.

One of the few lightweight middies can be bought from CMMG, just check out the twist rate. One of them had a 1 in 12 twist. They have a Gov't profile middy that is light under the handguards.

I picked up some extras for my AR15s, and yes, the shipping can add up. My Troy rails had a $8 dollar shipping. If you get several parts from different dealers, you could add $20-$30 for shipping. Some dealers, like Talon Arms (I think), give you a nice flat rate of $5 for all orders; I just checked, they raised it to $7 per order.
The nice thing about getting a kit from someone like Del-Ton is they check the headspace and testfire all of their uppers. Plus you don't have to put the upper together. You still get to put together the lower receiver, so there is some fun involved, but you don't have to have all the tools for the upper (Action block, multi-wrench, vice, etc).

I have two Del-Ton uppers and have been pleased. One is the HBAR middy and the other is a lightweight carbine. That bad boy is light, too. The barrel after the flash hider is .625" in diameter. I think it is .750" under the handguards. It looks pretty cool even with the thinner barrel. I may one day add a low pro gas block and a lightweight rifle length free float handguard to make it tacti-kool.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Guys,
what's the least expensive way to build?  Build from a complete parts kit or purchasing parts separately?  Is there that much of a difference in price?
thanks,
Speedfish

http://www.garrisonmfginc.com/556k.php                                                                          

PARTS KIT $425.00

http://www.essentialarms.com/forged%20lower%20receiver.htm                

$77.00
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
how long does it take to get a reciever from essential? do they normally have them in stock.  Anyone have a pic of there OD green recievers?

sorry didn't mean to Hijack your thread.

I ordered my upper and lower from delton,  465 for the basic delton kit, plus
110 for a DPMS lower from delton,  ordered it on monday had all the parts and together by friday night.  I'm very please, very nice product.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:25:29 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
how long does it take to get a reciever from essential? do they normally have them in stock.  Anyone have a pic of there OD green recievers?

sorry didn't mean to Hijack your thread.

I ordered my upper and lower from delton,  465 for the basic delton kit, plus
110 for a DPMS lower from delton,  ordered it on monday had all the parts and together by friday night.  I'm very please, very nice product.

I got my lower shipped to me in under a week. I also have a Del-Ton upper (M4) and the color match is great, its a nice tight fit as well.

Shipped It cost me $94.00 with a toughcoat.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I just finished a build with an Essential tufcoat lower and a MA Parts, Inc. 14.5, M4 kit. The whole thing was $625.00 including shipping. Looks great. Cant wait to shoot it. Essential and MA Parts shipped quick and were great to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I've built several from parts purchased here on the EE and happy with the finished products.

I've also done very well with several kits.

However based on the performance of some sellers I've had the displeasure of doing business with. I will probably only buy now from someone I have dealt with before of one of the vendors.

Some of the sellers I've dealt with didn't just didn't seem to get it.  If you put something up for sell on the EE, show some responsibilty towards the buyer.

Sorry, rant off!

I just finished a build using a EA upper.  Guy was very friendly on the phone and order went out in a couple of days.  Can't go wrong with EA.

If gunshows in your area allow the sell of lowers, thats another very good source.  

I like Spike's and try to ger one a show here in Miami.

Also invest in some of the basic tools.  As the addiction grows, they'll pay for themselves.  

Good luck.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top