Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2005 11:49:23 AM EDT
Just saw this and am leery of cheap optics.  Anyone have any firsthand knowledge about this scope? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one and sold it.  I generally don't like cheap stuff because you always get what you pay for in the long run.  That is not to say that I don't buy cheap stuff and end up disappointed quite often.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey kato, I have one in good condition I'm selling--I have an aimpoint and don't use it much anymore. Email me if you're interested.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Topgun, I'm curious.  When you did use it, could you use it like the aimpoint, ie quick target acquisition, or is the magnification too strong?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just saw this and am leery of cheap optics.  Anyone have any firsthand knowledge about this scope? Thanks.

I wouldn't bet my life on it, even though TANGOCHASER did, but if your rifle only sees range time then it should serve you well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Topgun, I'm curious.  When you did use it, could you use it like the aimpoint, ie quick target acquisition, or is the magnification too strong?

I was curious about the same thing about a week ago and mounted it to try it out. I was very surprised at how fast I could aquire a target with the 6x magnification. Even at room distance it wasn't bad--a human torso fills the entire FOV at this distance though. It's biggest drawback will be moving targets at close range--aimpoints clearly dominate in that area.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice.  How long have you had it, do you have all the mounts that came with it, i.e., the one that will fit a flat top m-4, and how much do you want for it?  Where in TX are you?

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:10:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was curious about the same thing about a week ago and mounted it to try it out. I was very surprised at how fast I could aquire a target with the 6x magnification. Even at room distance it wasn't bad--a human torso fills the entire FOV at this distance though. It's biggest drawback will be moving targets at close range--aimpoints EOTechs clearly dominate in that area.

Fixed it for ya'!

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Anybody know of any mounts that would work for a flattop besides the one that is included?  It sounds like that may be a definate point of failure.  I am getting ready to order one now though, so I am just basing that off of other things that I have read.  Thanks!
BTW - I am not looking for a high dollar mounting option for a $39 scope.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Nice.  How long have you had it, do you have all the mounts that came with it, i.e., the one that will fit a flat top m-4, and how much do you want for it?  Where in TX are you?

kato, your board IM and email is disabled. shoot me an email at [email protected] so we don't take up board space.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one and for the money its a great scope. It holds zero just fine, the glass is pretty clear and even the mount it comes with isn't bad. For $40 you can go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have one and for the money its a great scope. It holds zero just fine, the glass is pretty clear and even the mount it comes with isn't bad. For $40 you can go wrong.

Where can you find this scope for only $40?  Everywhere I look its $70-80. :(
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]
clearview investments has it for $39, with $8 shipping.  I ordered one yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
clearview investments has it for $39, with $8 shipping.  I ordered one yesterday.

+1
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 3:44:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, all.  Saw it new on clearview for $39.  Appreicate the help.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:30:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Let us know what ya'll think about these scopes.  Does it hold zero, etc?

I'm looking for some cheap glass for a "range-only" carbine. I'd do the $39 if it's half-way reliable, etc.

Lex
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:56:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one, it will work great for the range, holds zero, and seems to be ruigged enough.  6 power is too much for me for shooting off hand.  Put this scope on a ruger 10/22 makes a great plinking scope.  100yards on the 10/22, will hold a sub 2" group.  Did not group test on the Carbine, a ACOG now sits there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't think clearview is selling them anymore...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered one from them last Thursday.  I sure hope they were at least up until that point.  I'll let you all know when it arrives.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought mine was great until it fogged up. Couldn't see shit. POS
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I was wondering what everyone reccomends as a mounting option (flat-top NOT carry handle) for this scope.  I don't mind paying a bit more for a nice mount as I'll just change the scope out eventually for something a bit nicer.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine came with a decent flat top mount.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine has the cant.  I don't think clearview has them anymore, and wouldn't mind keeping it if there was a fairly easy fix.  What have you guys heard or done to fix this?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Bought one a while back when the craze hit. Was canted and switch did not work properly. Sent it back for a refund. That was a $69 one not the cheaper $39 one. Hoped the latest model would be the best one of the two but I was wrong.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Mine has the cant.  I don't think clearview has them anymore, and wouldn't mind keeping it if there was a fairly easy fix.  What have you guys heard or done to fix this?  Thanks!

Mine had a slight cant as well...
I tried flipping the mount (won't really work, knobs are in the way...)
But upon re-flipping back to normal, the cant went away.

Maybe it helped seat it better, I don't know, but it seems OK now, other than
not fitting over an ARMS #40
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I remounted mine today and it too is aligned properly.  I sure am glad that you wrote that GhostRing.  Can't wait for this weekend when I can get out and give it a try.  I am satisfied so far with my $39 investment.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I am satisfied so far with my $39 investment.

And I think they were the only ones selling at that price...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I remounted mine today and it too is aligned properly.  I sure am glad that you wrote that GhostRing.  Can't wait for this weekend when I can get out and give it a try.  I am satisfied so far with my $39 investment.

Hmmm, sounds weird.  Make sure you use Loc-Tite!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Mine came yesterday from Clearview $39 + $8 or so for shipping.  Reticle illumination switch worked fine.  Mount has a cant to it as well.  I'll try reversing it then reversing again and see what happens.  Doensn't fit over my BUIS eitherhinking.gif...  It seems clear enough, though and the mount is decent.  I had to clean up the holes in the mount slightly with a dremel polishing bit to get the alignment  just right.  Guess I'll get out the loctite and try to get it straight on the mount.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#30]
My T168 works great.
It holds zero no problem even when remounting repeatedly.
I flipped the batteries upside down to prevent accidental drain.
It's my first scope.
I almost fell on my ass the first time I used it and had a quarter sized group at 25yds.

Now I'm looking at another cheap scope.
The
simmons 1.5-5 pro diamond
same price - variable power.

Here's a pic of my T168.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Been using mine for a few months now.  Holds zero, even when I take it off and put it back on.  It's always nice to shoot on par with the folks who bring their competition bolt actions to shoot at 100 yards.    Oh well, I just know that my T168 puts it where I want it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Bump for updated range info?  looking into this, the only thing my AR does is punch holes in paper, no need for a 900 dollar trijicon
thanks

ETA for 40 bucks plus shipping I may as well just give it a try, but one more bump anyhoo
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top