Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2008 2:31:52 PM EDT
Looking for a low cost - decent quality scope ( I know, the two don't go in the same sentence) . Noticed that Leapers has a bunch of scopes with the illuminated reticle. I always thought Leapers was in the cheap quality category but the buyers reviews ( when they have them) seem to be decent. Googled it and couldn't find any " official" reviews. Anybody?
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#1]
they are junk i have one
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of the rubber armored scopes 3 years ago.  Tried to sight the rifle in and had worse groups with the scope vs. iron sights.  Took it off and put it a drawer and moved on to something else.

I wouldn't buy another one.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
theres no free lunch in glass. You did'nt specify the power range you were looking at.

As far as reviews go it kinda depends on what the person doing the review actually owns to compare it to, along with there knowledge in optics.

These ( Leapers) might be decent scopes for all I know.

Theres some good scopes out there in 2-7 3-9 range that won't break the bank and have very good warranties and reviews. They may not have lighted reticles but, the lenses and coatings may be good enough not to need lights.

A scope that won't track repeatably, or changes zero with a magnication change is'nt worth alot.

I can see price point concerns for just a range/plinking rifle and almost all of my glass is under $400.00.

Link Posted: 12/22/2008 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Leapers sounds so far like a no-go. I am looking in the 2- 7 or 3-9 range. Tasco has a 3-9  illuminated Varmit/Target scope for $87. This is Tasco's top of the line scope. Any thoughts? By the way it going on a AR 15 flat top.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Leapers is junk, I've owned one.

Weaver and Simmons are decent for the price, or step up to a bushnell or nikon.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#6]
maybe step up a notch. the optic zone. has Nikon 3-9 Prostaffs with BDC reticle for $126.00. probably cheaper with standard reticle. The Prostaff has an American style reticle focus like Leupold scopes. Maybe a Sightron SI series, or Weaver V series. all have American style reticle focus wich is important in affordable scopes as the Chinese have not mastered the art of Euro fast focus eye pieces. Leaving you with wandering second focal plane reticles when the eye piece is adjusted for reticle focus.

Basically there Euro fast focus eye piece kung foo is very week.

At the thought of spending $85.00+ on a Tasco I'd save up a few bucks and get a the Prostaff or Sightron SI. or Weaver. A used Leupold VXI is a nice thought but, used they still command a good resale above the other 3.

sorry edited. I see you mentioned AR fattop.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Sightron S1..you will not find a nicer scope for anything close to the same money.
Link Posted: 12/22/2008 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sightron S1..you will not find a nicer scope for anything close to the same money.

Yes very good quality in a affordable package. I believe the SI is now offered with a BDC type reticle. I have 2 older SI 3-9 with the mil dot reticle. Nice positive clicks that are on the money. One has been on a FAL for maybe 1500 rnds. and has'nt been hurt.

Link Posted: 12/27/2008 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Will definately look into a Sightron. Any chance they come with a illuminated retical?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top