Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2007 4:20:35 AM EDT
I've seen them for well under $50 in a few places.

I'm looking for something to put on to get by until I can save my $$$ for something better.

Will this survive for a while or should I spend the extra on RRA or Bushmaster?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Leapers is another spelling of "Chinese", and while I've never seen a Leapers marked piece, every "Chinese" stock I've ever seen or handled was a total POS.

Consider yourself forewarned
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#2]
My Chinese POS stock has always survived trips in my bag, to my truck, to the range, back into the bag, back into the truck, and back into my safe.  But maybe I am just lucky...

I got my stock for $35 from TheTic on the EE.  I assume they are made across the pond because they are so cheap.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
They are tough and hold up well despite being imported.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatever you do with a 6-pos stock, don't put it on a 13lb. rifle and drop it from 4 feet.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-_pY6pSdn0
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]
my experience with the 4 position Leapers would lead me to find something different.

I used one recently for a build for a buddy.  He wanted to keep the AR as cheap as possible while still using quality parts.

I was adament that I be allowed to pick barrel, BCG, lower and upper receivers, LPK, and assorted small parts.

I didn't specify buttstock so he chose the aforementioned version.

the detent spring retaining plate didn't fit flush on the rear of the receiver and actually created a 1/4" lip.  The buffer tube appears to be painted black and is OBVIOUSLY a vry cheap cast or extruded "metal" (sounds odd when tapped with keys as compared to others).

I told my friend that as long as he didn't buttstroke anyone, drop the rifle, or apply undue pressure to the buffer tube he should be ok.

IMO, for your personal rifle spend the xtra cash and get a good piece.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#6]
For what it's worth, I had a TAPCO 6 position stock on my carbine for a while.  I recently got a LMT stock and put it on.  I kept the TAPCO and will use it for something else.  I do not know about Leapers but I would say use the TAPCO IF money is an extreme issue (yeah I know save up for it right...) and you just want to see if you like this kind of stock.  Nowhere is the stock marked and I SUSPECT many places use this TAPCO stock.  BTW, the tube is NOT milspec and the threads were softer than the receiver.
Bottom line, if going inexpensive, go with TAPCO (Cheaper than Dirt).

R/
Mike
VA Beach
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For what it's worth, I had a TAPCO 6 position stock on my carbine for a while.  I recently got a LMT stock and put it on.  I kept the TAPCO and will use it for something else.  I do not know about Leapers but I would say use the TAPCO IF money is an extreme issue (yeah I know save up for it right...) and you just want to see if you like this kind of stock.  Nowhere is the stock marked and I SUSPECT many places use this TAPCO stock.  BTW, the tube is NOT milspec and the threads were softer than the receiver.
Bottom line, if going inexpensive, go with TAPCO (Cheaper than Dirt).

R/
Mike
VA Beach

The Cheaper than Dirt stock is listed as a Leaper's stock.

For the price of the Tapco stock on the Tapco website, you could purchase a quality Rock River Arms telestock from one of the vendors on the EE.  

Pete in NH has them frequently on sale for $69, and I can tell you from first hand experience that these are first rate.  Best "regular" telestock I have.  It can't hold a candle to my CTR, but then the price isn't in the same ballpark either.

I have tried the stock from TheTic00.  It was very VERY loose and wobbly compared to my RRA, and I was not impressed at all with the stock.  I made a video comparing the two and e-mailed it to TheTic00 for reference.  He gave me an IMMEDIATE full refund (including shipping), apologized for the trouble, and offered me a discount on my next purchase, so I'd buy from him again anytime.  But I would buy something other than the stock, and go for at least the RRA to suit my needs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
You get what you pay for.  Take this for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't get me wrong, I replaced the TAPCO with a LMT SOPMOD stock.  Built like a Fort Knox vault.  I love the cheek weld and the fit & finish is first rate.
The TAPCO served me well while I used it.

R/
Mike
VA Beach
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top