Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 9:46:16 PM EDT
I have relatively new RRA AR15 (less then a month old).  The first time I took it out shooting my friend and I noticed smoke coming out of the handgaurds...  at the time I figured it was something left on the barrel cooking off (it had a lot of oil on it).  This morning I took off the handgaurds for the first time and noticed what appears to be a gas leak coming from where the gas tube enters the FSB.

Is this normal with a new gun?  We did not see the 'smoke' coming out of it after that first time, is this something that should be checked out?  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:52:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Well... new shouldn't be judged by age.
How many rounds through it? was it fully cycling?

It might be some junk burning off, that's normal.
The FSB/port alignment usually isn't perfect - after a few mags, I'll
bet the smoking stops for good, the gas port will self-seal with carbon,
and your rifle will continue to function fine.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
New as in, ~600 rounds through it.  

I havent noticed any smoking since the first 100 rounds or so, and it hasnt appeared to affect performance at all.

The reason I asked is that I have some other issues with my hammer that I am going to have RRA deal with anyways, was wondering if I should send them the whole thing or just deal with the hammer seperately (if this is something that will correct itself I would rather not go through the hassle of shipping the whole rifle).

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well... new shouldn't be judged by age.
How many rounds through it? was it fully cycling?

It might be some junk burning off, that's normal.
The FSB/port alignment usually isn't perfect - after a few mags, I'll
bet the smoking stops for good, the gas port will self-seal with carbon,
and your rifle will continue to function fine.

+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#4]
How to test for leaks:

Remove upper from lower. Take out bolt and CH. Plug the barrel with something (feed ramp end). Light a cigarette. Blow smoke through the business end of the barrel. Smoke should only go out on the other end of the gas tube.

ETA: leaking gas is NOT normal.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top