Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/26/2009 5:55:19 PM EDT
Just bought a CMMG 22 Conversion and was wondering if I can run lead bullets or should I only run the plated 22's?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I just started looking around this section and have the same question (my Spikes conversion will be here in a couple weeks....)

Would love to know if the "Federal Bulk Packs" everyone keeps talking about are the blue boxes (lead head) or the maroon boxes (copper plated).
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Ciener, and it's pretty much the same design. I run ANYTHING through mine thousands at a time with 0 problems. Milage may vary ....
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
blue are copper plated too... red is premium
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
blue are copper plated too... red is premium

Not all blue boxes are copper plated.

The blue box 40gr are solid point, but lead.  The 36gr blue box are hollow point, but copper plated.

Additionally, the blue boxes are only 525 rounds.  The maroon box is 550 rounds.

The blue boxes I have cost $18.99/box.  The maroon boxes were $13.47 a box at Wal-Mart.

Here are some images for comparison:

Blue box40 grain solid lead point:  (these are sold in both 50 count and 525 count boxes... i have both)

Blue box 36 grain hollow point copper plated:

Maroon box 36 grain hollow point copper plated:  (sorry for the bad pic... guess Google doesn't have everything...)

Additionally, Federal lists their rimfire loads on the following webpage:

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rimfire.aspx
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't consider that bulk, since those boxes are commonly split up and sold separately.  the 525 round bulk boxes are just a box full of loose ammo
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The issue is that the lead bullets are usually not quite up to the power of a 40 gr round nose Mini Mag . In the new ,tight units the extra power is many times the
difference between running fairly decent and being a pain in the ass.

After you get the unit broke in and slicked up anything goes. I can even get sub sonics to work pretty decent if I am clean , and I more times than not am running lead standard velocity ammo for the better accuracy.

Short answer is feed it whatever makes it run , you won't know unless you try.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't consider that bulk, since those boxes are commonly split up and sold separately.  the 525 round bulk boxes are just a box full of loose ammo

The lead-tipped 40gr in the 525 packs are "loose".  If they came in big packs of little boxes, they would be either 500 or 550 count.  525 would leave a half-box left over.

I was simply mentioning that they are sold in 50 count boxes as well as the 525 "bulk" pack.

More importantly, you said that the blue bulk boxes were copper plated.  I was pointing out that not all of them are.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top