Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/16/2004 12:56:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/16/2004 12:57:14 PM EST by Cato556]
Does anyone have some more information on the new "green" ammo the Army is planing to replace M855 with? Here is one article I found about it:

aec.army.mil/usaec/publicaffairs/update/fall99/fall9901.htm

Apparently, it is not just a training-only round, but a full replacement combat round; and it is already in production.

The big questions I have are:

1) Will it still be accurate in 1/9" twist barrels (like M855) or will it require a 1/7" twist to fully stabilize?

2) Because it has a non-lead core, will it be clasified as AP, so we won't be able to get it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:16:38 PM EST
Much to my surprise no one has responded to this post, I found it when looking up fragmentation ammo...but, to answer your question, the ammo in that article you posted is not the same thing as PMC green. PMC green is made of copper and held together w/ some polymer stuff, where as the stuff talked about in USAEC is a tungsten core copper coated ammo; that could be an AP round. PMC green is not at all an AP, it's a fragmentation round that brakes up, if not explodes. I shot some w/ my AR15 1 in 9 w/ good small groups, but when I ran it though my Daewoo K2, w/ its 1 in 7 the stuff got flung apart in flight (I think), the groups where off by a foot or so and vary raged (at 50 yards ish).
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:55:07 PM EST
I read somewhere on the web a couple of months ago where the new rounds were put on hold for wide distribution because of fears that the tungsten may not be as environmentally friendly as once thought. More tests are reportedly needed
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:57:40 PM EST
Should be as accurate though, if distributed. It is not AP as it is tungsten powder not tungsten carbide. Supposedly, the steel M855 core will be inserted to maintain penetration capabilities.
Top Top