Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:50:04 PM EDT
Hello all. This is my first post on this great forum.

I just recently bought my first AR15, a Bushmaster M4A3. I love it so far and have had no problems with the first 300 rounds. My question is regarding the last round in a magazine. I was under the impression that after the last round, the bolt would stay back so that a new mag could quickly be put in then the bolt release on the left side could just be tapped to chamber a fresh round(s). Mine does not do this. After the last round, the bolt is closed and I have to rack the charging handle again after a new mag goes in. Is this normal? As I said, I am new to ARs so am not really sure. I thought I had read somewhere that the bolt should stay open. Ideas? Sugestions? Thanks.

I tried to search but couldnt find anything,.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a different magazine, thats the usual problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Check your magazine... Bolt catch is pushed up by the folllower...Try a different mag maybe?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
As already suggested, try a different mag.

Are you able to lock the bolt open manually, by pulling back the CH and pulling out on the bolt release?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It does this with all 5 magazines that I have. They are all Bushmaster marked. I assumed it was a magazine follower thing (like with a pistol) but is there anything on the gun itself that would cause this?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, even with an empty mag in the gun, if I pull back the charging handle, the bolt will only stay if I push down the bolt release (doesnt hold automatically). Is it possible I just have some old mags? They all have green followers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
same problem here little CLP on the bolt catch and pin works like a charm now
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
same problem here little CLP on the bolt catch and pin works like a charm now

hat
Thanks to all who replyed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top