Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2005 8:51:33 AM EDT
Can these be built in a larger cal.?Like bigger than a .243 so it could be used during pistol season for deer?like maybe .308 or the .50 BW?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
here are a few of the calibers you can make ARs in...

30 carbine
6mm TCU
6.5 Grendel
6.8 SPC
7.62x39
9mm
50BMG
50AE
50 BW
458 Socom
499 (L&W makes a gun in this)

the 308 version is called the AR10.  These kinds of rifles are made by Armalite, ASA, Bushmaster, DPMS, and a few others.

I know there are a lot more than I mentioned.  These are just the ones on the top of my head.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a .458 SOCOM marked lower that I am going to use on a pistol build if I can just get around to getting the $750 or so that I need to get Marty started.  It will have a 12 inch barrel including brake and is what I plan on using on deer when I get back home to Indiana.  It will make a fine 150 yard or less deer pistol.  I have been using a Contender .45-70 for many years so it will be on a par with it, only a semi instead of a single shot.  Marty has done several of these so he has the bugs worked out.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The .458 socom would make a fine deer pistol.Thanks for the heads up and the idea.That sounds like just the thing I was looking for.But just in case I can't find what I need on my own to build it who is Marty and how would a fella get in touch with him?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
any stripped lower that hasnt been assembled will work for the build.
if im not mistaken since this is in the ar pistol forum, what is trying to be acclomplished is a bigbore pistol correct?

one day i plan on sending my beowulf to be sbr'ed
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The .458 socom would make a fine deer pistol.Thanks for the heads up and the idea.That sounds like just the thing I was looking for.But just in case I can't find what I need on my own to build it who is Marty and how would a fella get in touch with him?

Marty would be me ... best way to reach me is Email ...

Here is what such a critter MIGHT look like (various versions have been done)

I will have a picture of a VERY custom 338 Spectre pistol later this week

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is the custom-and-then-some 338 Spectre AR pistol upper

Chambered in 338 Spectre (see picture)

SPECS
Ameetec Arms side charger upper
Les Baer light weight carrier
DPMS 6.8 SPC bolt
Bushmaster Carbon 15 handgaurd
Bushmaster Carbon 15 rail
PacNor 1 in 7 twist stainless barrel
GBS low profile gas block

The hand gaurd and rail were requested by the customer and were milled to fit the Ameetec upper, which was milled, drilled and tapped to interface with the rail.  The rail was also trimmed to make for a better fit.  The HG is remarkably light and VERY STURDY, we were rather surprised.  And it is free floated.....  plan to do another one like this in another caliber

Better pictures to follow

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top